: Right rear brake locks up

Fred Anderson
04-23-11, 10:11 AM
I took my 1989 Brougham to Brake Team in Portland OR. After two weeks of them telling me it was ready and they had road tested it, the manager drove it and agreed the right rear locked up. Another two days and they says they have given up. Any ideas on what to start to replace?:bonkers:

cadillac_al
04-23-11, 11:07 AM
Sounds like the classic leaking axle seal. Does it have new shoes and a resurfaced drum on it? If I was the brake mechanic and everything was new and clean and no leaking oil I would just loosen up the adjustment in that wheel. It's pretty routine basic stuff

Fred Anderson
04-23-11, 11:12 AM
There were no leaks. they replaced all the wheel cylinders, new shoes, pads, adjusted calipers. they were trying to adjust the rear brakes when I spoke to them last yesterday.
I will report more later when I pick it up. someone suggested the proportioning valve?

Fred Anderson
04-23-11, 11:52 AM
I just spoke with the manager at the Aloha Brake Team. She said they replaced the rear wheel cylinders, drums, and shoes. They have tried different ways to tighten and loosen the rear brakes but it does not seem to make any difference.

Any ideas would be helpful, he number is 503-389-2229 if you really want to get involved. she thought she would call Cad Service in Portland but they are closed today.

Thanks for any suggestions.:yup:

deVille33
04-24-11, 09:21 AM
Have they cocidered that the e-brake cable may have froze and be holding the brake on?

csbuckn
04-24-11, 09:59 AM
So it was rolling fine before they did the brakes or did it lock up before you took it in? Does it turn if they loosen the brakes?

drmenard
04-24-11, 09:59 AM
I have seen , mostly on front brakes, that the rubber hoses blatter inside .. They come apart and don't let the fulid flow both ways.. They act like a check valve.. The first thing I would do now is change the rubber hose at the rear end... Thats my best guess.