: Service Bulletin on Gas Tank

Grizz262
04-23-11, 09:53 AM
I was hearing a thumping noise in the rear of my 2010 SRX upon a gentle acceleration from a full stop. The best way to describe it was like a shock absorber was expanding (or contracting) in increments, thump, thump, thump. Not very loud, and not consitantly.

I took it into the the dealer who said they heard the noise, and have heard it on other SRX's in the past. They advised me that GM has issued a service bulletin on the Gas Tank baffle system, and are currently working on a re-design to prevent the noise which should be out by the end of the year. Once designed, they will issue a recall.

Anyone hear of this, or was I hoodwinked?

I can scan the repair order with their comments about the SB if needed.

Smokin' SRX
04-23-11, 10:35 AM
Yup! been commented on here many times and some really hate it, but I actually consider the mild thump a "movement verification device" and not an offensive sound at all. I keep my tank mostly full and hear it only at certain fuel levels (I think 3/4 and then 1/3 full?)

I find it hard to believe they will actually drop the tank and R&R???

Hope your source is accurate as many here will be much relieved............:yup:

SS

Grizz262
04-23-11, 12:37 PM
Thank you SS for the information, I did do a search on Baffles and Gas Tanks, but found nothing relevent before I posted this.

Has anyone seen a Service Bulletin that refers to this issue?

Smokin' SRX
04-23-11, 12:59 PM
Here is a link to a thread. Searches can be tricky.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/188418-gas-tank-noise.html

No known cure except keeping tank full/playing radio upon embarking :rolleyes:

SS

algiorda
04-26-11, 07:02 AM
I disagree with the gas tank baffle diagnosis; see my previous post. How can a liquid make a thud?

I say the noise is caused by play in the exhaust system hangers causing the banging.

I crawled under the car and looked; it seems the gas tank runs from front to back in the center of the vehicle on both sides of the driveshaft. The bumping noise I hear is from the back of the vehicle. I wiggled the exhaust system from side to side and sure enough, that was the sound I heard.

Smokin' SRX
04-26-11, 09:10 AM
You may be correct. Easy way to be positive is to fill tank and see if noise is still there. Mine is the gas. It makes same sound as waves hitting a dock. 'Slush", then "bonk". You may have both! Good detective skills on your part. And easily repeatable for Dealer............

Tks for tip. One more to be aware of.

SS

SoCalSRX
04-30-11, 07:04 PM
I have a similar problem...subscribing, and hoping for a Service Bulletin soon!

TRMN8R1
05-02-11, 07:45 AM
I disagree with the gas tank baffle diagnosis; see my previous post. How can a liquid make a thud?

I say the noise is caused by play in the exhaust system hangers causing the banging.

I crawled under the car and looked; it seems the gas tank runs from front to back in the center of the vehicle on both sides of the driveshaft. The bumping noise I hear is from the back of the vehicle. I wiggled the exhaust system from side to side and sure enough, that was the sound I heard.

I couldn't agree more; I've spent a lot of time on here going through the many threads on this, and I've spoken with the SMgr at the dealership. I don't believe that it's sloshing or however you want to describe it as in coming from the fuel tank. It is a clear THUD, as if someone is using a rubber mallet and hitting the bottom rear right side somewhere?? I believe that it's either suspension OR as you posted the exhaust system.

CalDrvr
05-04-11, 03:49 PM
I own a 2007 DTS, but watch this forum, as the SRX is our next car. All DTS models have the same "thump" sound from the rear. It is related to the fuel system and how it relieves pressure or vacuum, and sounds like someone is knocking on a rear door to get in. It always occurs as three or four knocks, and (usually) within a mile from the start of the drive, and may not be related to the fuel level.

Smokin' SRX
05-06-11, 04:46 PM
This (SRX) noise is instant and occurs as soon as I begin to back out of garage and tap brakes. I believe Algiordas is same. Don't think we're on same page. But thx for the heads-up!

SS

SoCalSRX
05-08-11, 03:13 PM
Here's my take on the situation...

For the last week or so, I've been paying close attention to the noise. Here are my impressions:

1. The sound is more pronounced (louder) when the gas tank is 1/2 - 3/4 full.
2. When accelerating from a stop, and then quickly hitting the brakes, the sound (a "tap, tap, tap" or "bump, bump, bump") continues for a second or so. It's not a one-time noise like a single "thud." This happens, for example, in stop-and-go traffic, where you start to accelerate but then have to quickly apply the brakes. To test it out, though, I went to a flat stretch of open road near my house, and stopped for a few seconds. I then accelerated (but gently -- I didn't punch it) and rolled for a few feet, and then quickly hit the brakes. Again I heard the noise continuing for a second or two.

It seems to me that unless something in the exhaust system is REALLY loose and is dangling, the noise wouldn't repeat a few times after stopping. If I were a betting man, my bet is that the noise is caused by fuel sloshing in the tank.

My $.02. YMMV.

Smokin' SRX
05-09-11, 04:35 PM
SoCalSRX I'm with you. Both your explanation and symptoms. But perhaps there 2 different problems.......

Again, I honestly don't even hear it any more. It's as if I am on my boat! Only classier! LOL

SS

Grizz262
11-01-11, 11:24 AM
Can someone send me the Service Bulletin PIT4927B ? I am taking my 2010 SRX in next week to see if there is a fixed tank on this as it was supposed to have been out by now according to this thread, and others in this forum.

SoCalSRX
11-01-11, 11:39 AM
Can someone send me the Service Bulletin PIT4927B ? I am taking my 2010 SRX in next week to see if there is a fixed tank on this as it was supposed to have been out by now according to this thread, and others in this forum.

I'd like to see the Bulletin as well. If there's a fix available, I'll get it done next time the car is in for service (about 1,500 miles).

Thanks!

99ssconv
11-10-11, 09:22 PM
I did my first one today, the new design tank has alot of baffles and channels built in it now, you also have to replace the aux fuel pump module due to
different internals of the tank. #PIT4927D: Clunk Thump Or Slosh Noise From Rear Of Vehicle - (Nov 8, 2011)

SoCalSRX
11-10-11, 09:30 PM
I did my first one today, the new design tank has alot of baffles and channels built in it now, you also have to replace the aux fuel pump module due to
different internals of the tank. #PIT4927D: Clunk Thump Or Slosh Noise From Rear Of Vehicle - (Nov 8, 2011)

Thanks, 99! Will put this on the list for next service visit. Is it a part that most dealers will stock, or will it have to be special-ordered?

Thanks so much for your follow-up.

99ssconv
11-10-11, 09:51 PM
Probably special order unless the parts manager keeps tabs on new bulletins.

SoCalSRX
11-10-11, 09:59 PM
Probably special order unless the parts manager keeps tabs on new bulletins.

At my dealership....not likely! :banghead:

Thanks again for posting this!

mrl859
11-10-11, 11:35 PM
Does this also solve the difficulty in filling the tank?

99ssconv
11-11-11, 09:45 PM
Does this also solve the difficulty in filling the tank?

There is a updated design fill pipe for the early built 2010's for fuel fill issues but with my experience it is always related to the vapor recovery system that the filling station is using. Next time you have a problem filling your tank try adjusting the nozzle, I have found that putting the nozzle completely upside down works best. I was filling my BMW the other day and the pump kept shutting off constantly, after inverting the nozzle the fuel pump never shut off. My vette would do the same thing, turning the nozzle upside down and no more issues..

mrl859
11-12-11, 01:54 AM
There is a updated design fill pipe for the early built 2010's for fuel fill issues but with my experience it is always related to the vapor recovery system that the filling station is using. Next time you have a problem filling your tank try adjusting the nozzle, I have found that putting the nozzle completely upside down works best. I was filling my BMW the other day and the pump kept shutting off constantly, after inverting the nozzle the fuel pump never shut off. My vette would do the same thing, turning the nozzle upside down and no more issues..My '11 SRX does it. You have to hold the nozzle up at the rear or it keeps shutting. I shouldn't have to do that or invert it. I've never had to on any other vehicles including my '11 CTS-V. They need to fix it. I thought they were working on it.

sube5186
11-12-11, 09:10 AM
I don't get any "thumping" noises from the gas tank. When the tank is about half full I hear gas sloshing around for a brief second, only while backing out of my garage. I never hear it while driving or any other time. I heard the exact same sound with my last car. Again, I only heard it while backing out of my garage. For those who do hear a thumping noise I'd suggest getting this fix. Personally, I think I'll pass on this one, as I don't feel I really need it. I'm curious to know if the added baffles will decrease the fuel capacity. If the exterior dimensions of the new tank are the same, it would have to.

Sube

Grizz262
12-12-11, 01:28 PM
GM has the newly designed gas tanks out and installed mine the other day, along with the fuel sending unit. All is well, and no more thumping at 3/4 full tank.

retcad
06-21-13, 12:39 PM
I really enjoy my 2010 SRX and love the drive, style, etc. One thingI find irksome is that when I fill the tank, I hear a thumping noise from the rear whenever I drive over bumps, railroad tracks, etc. When I turn the car off, I'll hear a few thumps from the rear after the engine shuts down. Once I burn off a few gallons, the noise goes away until the next fill up. I've read in a few other posts that I'm not alone with this (reassuring, I guess) and that some dealers have said this is a gas tank issue and there is no fix.

It's something I can live with, and I've also tried filling it less than full to avoid the issue. My main concern is that this may lead to other issues down the road.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-21-13, 10:18 PM
I really enjoy my 2010 SRX and love the drive, style, etc. One thingI find irksome is that when I fill the tank, I hear a thumping noise from the rear whenever I drive over bumps, railroad tracks, etc. When I turn the car off, I'll hear a few thumps from the rear after the engine shuts down. Once I burn off a few gallons, the noise goes away until the next fill up. I've read in a few other posts that I'm not alone with this (reassuring, I guess) and that some dealers have said this is a gas tank issue and there is no fix.

It's something I can live with, and I've also tried filling it less than full to avoid the issue. My main concern is that this may lead to other issues down the road.

Has anyone else had this issue?
Hello retcad,

Have you taken your SRX to the dealership yet concerning this issue? I see that you said that some dealers have said it’s a gas tank issue, but I wasn’t sure if you were talking about the forum posts you read. If you would like to work with a dealership concerning this issue and would like my assistance, please feel free to private message me. I would be more than happy to assist you in working with the dealership. I would need your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealership you would like to work with. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

SoCalSRX
07-17-13, 08:02 PM
I had my tank replaced under the service bulletin several months ago. No problems since then!

retcad
07-23-13, 10:39 AM
Hi SoCal,

Was the replacement covered by warranty?

SoCalSRX
07-23-13, 11:10 AM
Hi SoCal,

Was the replacement covered by warranty?

Yes. The dealer has been terrific with regard to warranty work. My only complaint is that they're a little far away, but other than that my experience with them couldn't be better.

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-23-13, 12:08 PM
Yes. The dealer has been terrific with regard to warranty work. My only complaint is that they're a little far away, but other than that my experience with them couldn't be better.

Hello SoCalSRX,

Glad to hear the dealer replaced your tank under the service bulletin months back and your vehicle is driving properly since. I am happy you have been satisfied with the dealership you were working with minus the distance. Continue to enjoy driving your SRX and don't hesitate to reach out to us with any questions or concerns!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

kanundrum
07-23-13, 12:58 PM
Any safety concerns with this or is it purely cosmetic/noise ?

stealth97
07-24-13, 02:24 AM
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this question, but what about the problem with filling the gas tank. It is VERY FRUSTRATING to have to hold the nozzle the whole time while gas is filling the tank. Is there really not a solution for this? Thanks!

kanundrum
11-27-13, 10:10 AM
Can someome post up their invoice of what they had done with Part #'s I am going to try to get this done

westham
11-27-13, 10:48 AM
Can someome post up their invoice of what they had done with Part #'s I am going to try to get this done

Hi Kanundrum,
There is a service bulletin issued on this problem with the pressure realease/pump angle when pumping. I had the exact same problem fixed only two weeks ago, This is what my dealer did, check the control module for any EVAP codes, (none were available) so he replaced the filler pipe assembly which is the instruction from Cadillac on the service bulletin the part# is 22742903 and mine was covered under warranty.
I'm away from home right now but I will scan you a copy of my paperwork from the dealer upon my return next week if you PM me with your email address.
Hope all works out well with your problem and have a Happy Thanksgiving.

----------

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this question, but what about the problem with filling the gas tank. It is VERY FRUSTRATING to have to hold the nozzle the whole time while gas is filling the tank. Is there really not a solution for this? Thanks!

See my reply to Kanundrum, I'm not sure he was asking the question on the same topic as your pumping gas problem, I may have responded to him rather than you.

kanundrum
11-27-13, 11:03 AM
Hi Kanundrum,
There is a service bulletin issued on this problem with the pressure realease/pump angle when pumping. I had the exact same problem fixed only two weeks ago, This is what my dealer did, check the control module for any EVAP codes, (none were available) so he replaced the filler pipe assembly which is the instruction from Cadillac on the service bulletin the part# is 22742903 and mine was covered under warranty.
I'm away from home right now but I will scan you a copy of my paperwork from the dealer upon my return next week if you PM me with your email address.
Hope all works out well with your problem and have a Happy Thanksgiving.

----------

See my reply to Kanundrum, I'm not sure he was asking the question on the same topic as your pumping gas problem, I may have responded to him rather than you.

Thanks for the Information! Mine had to deal with the thumping noise of the gas tank, everything works fine when I am filling up the car. I think I need the new tank with baffles etc.

retcad
11-27-13, 09:12 PM
There are 3 different issues on this thread:

1. Problems filling the tank
2. Sloshing noises while stopping or backing
3. Thumping noises while gas tank is full to three quarters full (and thumping/shaking) when engine turned off when tank is full to three quarters full

I've had a problem with number 3, although I've learned not to fill the tank completely to avoid it. It's very intermittent, and doesn't always do it, so I've avoided the hassle od dealerships who will not duplicate it. Not a big deal, but as I've said in the past, it irks me.

Other than that, I love the car.

Cadillac Cust Svc
11-30-13, 02:16 PM
Hello kanumdrum,

I would be more than happy to assist you in setting up an appointment or working with the dealership to look further into your concern if you would like. Please feel free to private message me if you would like any assistance working with the dealership.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

kanundrum
11-30-13, 04:32 PM
Hello kanumdrum,

I would be more than happy to assist you in setting up an appointment or working with the dealership to look further into your concern if you would like. Please feel free to private message me if you would like any assistance working with the dealership.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

Greg

Appreciate it, how ever my situation is a bit different. I have a Saab 9-4x and I want to apply the fixes accordingly since they are the same model effected from a technical standpoint. If you think you can help me with the technical details such as part #'s etc then I will definitely shoot you an email.

Thanks!

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-03-13, 11:42 AM
Greg

Appreciate it, how ever my situation is a bit different. I have a Saab 9-4x and I want to apply the fixes accordingly since they are the same model effected from a technical standpoint. If you think you can help me with the technical details such as part #'s etc then I will definitely shoot you an email.

Thanks!
Hello Kanumdrum,

Unfortunately, I don’t have access to the technical service bulletins. I would suggest reaching out to your dealership with that bulletin number and ask if they could provide you with the part numbers for that bulletin. If they are unable to do that, feel free to send me an email with the TSB and I can reach out to an internal resource of mine, but I cannot guarantee that they would be able to provide me with the part numbers. Thanks for taking the time to respond to me!

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

kanundrum
12-03-13, 07:25 PM
Hello Kanumdrum,

Unfortunately, I don’t have access to the technical service bulletins. I would suggest reaching out to your dealership with that bulletin number and ask if they could provide you with the part numbers for that bulletin. If they are unable to do that, feel free to send me an email with the TSB and I can reach out to an internal resource of mine, but I cannot guarantee that they would be able to provide me with the part numbers. Thanks for taking the time to respond to me!

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

Thanks greg!

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-05-13, 01:05 PM
Thanks greg!

Hello Kanumdrum,

You are very welcome! Please be sure to keep us updated!

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

DTurmel
09-22-14, 10:22 AM
There are 3 different issues on this thread:

1. Problems filling the tank
2. Sloshing noises while stopping or backing
3. Thumping noises while gas tank is full to three quarters full (and thumping/shaking) when engine turned off when tank is full to three quarters full

I've had a problem with number 3, although I've learned not to fill the tank completely to avoid it. It's very intermittent, and doesn't always do it, so I've avoided the hassle od dealerships who will not duplicate it. Not a big deal, but as I've said in the past, it irks me.

Other than that, I love the car.

this is an old thread but I have also noticed some noise from gas tank (mainly sloshing when backing) - - it only seemed to occur or be more noticable depending on level of gas in the tank. Was not a big deal but a little annoying for a vehicle with this price tag.

I brought my observations this morning to my dealer during my scheduled oil change and they told me they will replace the gas tank under warrranty. (SRX 2012 AWD Luxury 24K Km). Wow!

I am not the type to be picky when comes the time to complain about little issues so this is just a reminder for me that you dont get anything unless you ask! Thanks to this forum for the pointers. They also found an oil leak from the timing cover so they will fix this too - a little concerning with the low milage on my car but I am quite glad with the service my dealer provides.