: Trunk Leak

turbojimmy
04-23-11, 09:34 AM
Has anyone had this problem on their 93-96 Fleetwood?

Mine's leaking on both sides of the trunk. This is particularly troublesome because the rear HVAC draws some air from inside the trunk (it's not designed to, but it's not perfectly sealed). When the trunk is wet, it immediately fogs up the windows and also stinks. I'm constantly drying and Frebreezing the trunk.

Anyhow, here's where it's "leaking". I say "leaking" because I'm not sure if it's actually leaking at these seams on each side, or if that happens to be where it's collecting. I got in the trunk with a flashlight and I don't see where it's running down from anywhere. It does appear to be those seams.

Anyone else have this problem? It looks fine on the exterior - no obvious cracks or holes where the seams come together. It's all sealed and painted. I hate to start randomly smearing silicone sealant around if I don't have to.

Pics:

http://turbojimmy.4t.com/limo_leak-1.jpg

http://turbojimmy.4t.com/limo_leak-2.jpg

Barrister_07101
04-23-11, 02:00 PM
I would guess that this is a common problem. I have it on my 94 and my 95. Each has a vinyl roof and I have seen that that is what causes the leaking through the holes where the vinyl trim and roofline are attached. I don't know if there's a simple fix. I'm plan on getting the 94 running again ... so I'm going to use a de-humidifier to dry it out and start the process.

intragration
04-23-11, 03:37 PM
If it actually IS coming through those two places you pointed out, the best thing to do would be to pull up the weatherstripping in those areas and seal it from the top of the seam, in the channel on the outside of the weatherstripping. This way the water wouldn't get in in the first place. It seems like it could also be coming from where Barrister mentioned, vinyl tops introduce a number of potential problems. YOu might also put some cardboard on the trunk floor, anyplace where it could be leaking from, to see where it's actually dripping. Not too many smells worse than water that's been pooled in your car for a week...

turbojimmy
04-23-11, 05:18 PM
If it actually IS coming through those two places you pointed out, the best thing to do would be to pull up the weatherstripping in those areas and seal it from the top of the seam, in the channel on the outside of the weatherstripping. This way the water wouldn't get in in the first place. It seems like it could also be coming from where Barrister mentioned, vinyl tops introduce a number of potential problems. YOu might also put some cardboard on the trunk floor, anyplace where it could be leaking from, to see where it's actually dripping. Not too many smells worse than water that's been pooled in your car for a week...

I know - that padding under the trunk liner gets soaked and it stinks.

I'll have to check a little closer around where the vinyl top screws come down through the body. I ran my hand along there and they seemed dry, but I have to actually get in the trunk to see up under there. I can see exactly where the water is dripping - right at both of those seams. Nowhere else. It could be running around there and dripping, though. The car was parked facing uphill, so it would follow that path until it dripped off the uneven seam.

I hate trying to track down water - it's tricky.