: Big Bend Open Road Run

Tuna
04-22-11, 10:35 PM
Looks like our V Wagon is the only "V" down here at the BBORR this year. It's getting a lot of attention being the only one and a "wagon" at that. We're driving the 110 MPH class as that the faster class a "stock seat belt" car can run. It appears to be a great way to break in the drive train :cool2:

The V-wagon just grooves the turns and we'll be on cruise control most of the time, A/C on and the seat coolers blowing. I feel for the other competitors without A/C and seat coolers as it running 90-100 degrees down here.

One of you V-coupe owners with a roll bar and 5/6-point belts needs to come down here and show off in one of the faster classes.

Got to get up early tomorrow as grid show is 6 AM. Adios.

baabootoo
04-23-11, 12:14 AM
Yep, I'll bet it's getting attention!

Tuna
04-25-11, 12:35 PM
Well, the wife and I finished 5th in class this year with the new V. Both of us made little mistakes in timing but the mistakes almost cancelled each other out. I allowed the wife to be almost 2 second slow going south and then I got a little too fast going north by about 2.5 seconds. The total difference was only .483 seconds but that was only good enough for 5th place. Oh well. There were 29 cars in our class as the 110 class is the largest.

We put almost 1900 miles on if over the week and started seeing gas mileage rise into the 20 to 21 range - guess it's getting broken in well now. Btw, the V averages just under 14 MPG at the 110 MPH average speed.

I took one left turn a little faster than I wanted for comfort and saw 0.71 g's at 110. Nothing the V can't handle but it was a little more than I wanted with rock walls on both sides of the road. ;)

Now I've got to clean it up and pull the race numbers off the doors and hood.

Domsz06
04-25-11, 01:34 PM
very nice!!

Congrats indeed!!! ;)

baabootoo
04-25-11, 03:04 PM
Did you slow way down by the spectators and then hammer it up to your tech speed??????

Tuna
04-25-11, 03:38 PM
Did you slow way down by the spectators and then hammer it up to your tech speed??????

Nah. We hot footed it to 115 at each start point then eased it back down to 110-ish after we got the timing and check points lined up then kept is near 110 the rest of the run. We did wave at a lot of course workers and spectators along the way but not in the turns.

Also, our tech speed was 124 and it doesn't take long to get there and we didn't want to get disqualified.

RapidRob
04-25-11, 06:56 PM
What cars topped ya Tuna?

Rob

RapidRob
04-25-11, 06:57 PM
Double post - deleted.

Rob

Tuna
04-26-11, 09:34 AM
What cars topped ya Tuna?

Rob

The class winner was in a '65 Cobra - they have won the class 3 years in a row now. My wife and I will have to do a lot better next year and be more focused.

There were 2 Corvettes and one SSR in front of us also. The all managed their stop watches better than we did.

baabootoo
04-26-11, 03:38 PM
Well, under 1/2 second is VERY good is these types of races. The rest is luck anyway. You'll get there one day!

Tuna
04-26-11, 04:02 PM
Well, under 1/2 second is VERY good is these types of races. The rest is luck anyway. You'll get there one day!

The trouble is we've been there before and blew it this time (if you call 1/2 second off as blowing it). This was our 7th trip there and we've brought back 5 dust collectors before but not this time. Just didn't focus like we should have.

The main thing was seeing how the "V" did and enjoying all the fun of driving it fast on a closed road.