: P0430 code engine light blinking when accelating, noise under car, loss of power

drgeleen
04-22-11, 09:03 PM
this is either a sensor or catalytic converter right? i was going to go to midas, but im thinking to take to cadillac. i dont wanna spend a ton on a new cat, because the are expensive. i revved the engine a little and then heard what sounded like glass of screws falling. please help...

ddalder
04-22-11, 11:03 PM
The FLASHING engine light indicates that if you don't limp it along gently, you may do some damage. Get it to your dealer.

• Light Flashing -- A misfire condition has been detected. A misfire increases vehicle emissions and may damage the emission control system on your vehicle. Diagnosis and service may be required.

dkozloski
04-23-11, 12:23 AM
CATS are warranteed for 80,000 miles.

ddalder
04-23-11, 12:44 AM
I believe this is a condition of a problem other than the catalytic converter. I had the exact same code and symptoms with my Bonneville. The problem was a bad ignition coil causing a misfire that ultimately caused the P0430 DTC, poor performance and flashing MIL. The FSM confirms that a misfire condition can cause this code, especially if associated with the flashing lamp (an indicator of a misfire condition). There are also a couple of other causes that may result in a P0430. If you don't have this fixed, you may damage your converter (if it isn't already).

KRSTS
04-23-11, 12:19 PM
CATS are warranteed for 80,000 miles.

Or if your vehicle is older than 8 years

drgeleen
04-23-11, 02:27 PM
i had a misfire before, got plugs changed and everything stopped. now the noise and rattling etc.

drgeleen
04-23-11, 02:28 PM
thanks guys!

ddalder
04-23-11, 02:36 PM
i had a misfire before, got plugs changed and everything stopped. now the noise and rattling etc.
The flashing MIL indicates a currently occurring misfire condition. I would suggest there is something else wrong. The damage may have already occurred to the catalytic converter, but what you're experiencing, I believe, indicates something else. What was the mileage you had the plugs changed at? Was there any noteable problem with them, or was this just a "first step"? During replacement/reassembly, the true underlying problem may have been temporarily corrected.

So just to be clear, are you saying you no longer have poor performance and a flashing MIL, only the rattling?

drgeleen
04-23-11, 03:00 PM
2 months ago plugs changed at dealership. the said all was well with springs etc. doesn't sound like it! if its something that went wrong and its because of the the way the plugs were put in, i will have to fight them to fix it.

drgeleen
04-23-11, 03:02 PM
plugs changed at 105k i was misfiring in number 5 gottit fix asap. caddy said nothing else wrong.

ddalder
04-23-11, 03:21 PM
It definitely would have been time to change the plugs, and these may have contributed to the problem although the recommended change is 100,000 miles. You weren't over by too much and often there is a buffer built in.

Did you recently wash your engine or otherwise get it unusually wet? Sometimes a cracked coil or questionable connecction will show up with a wet environment. They may have reseated a connector or other similar problem that fixed this for a period of time when changing the plugs and not realized that was the true source of your problem. The best way to know is to have it scanned and look for the misfire data. This will at least get you pointed in the right direction. If it's cylinder 5 again, I doubt it was the plug the first time (not that they shouldn't have been replaced anyway based on mileage).

drgeleen
04-24-11, 01:49 AM
i had a plug that fouled in the 5 cylinder. you prolly right. today i started up the car no noise but i did smell eggs. drove good until the cat heated up then i heard a lil rattling and loss of power. parked it. its going to caddy dealer monday. not driving it.

drgeleen
04-24-11, 10:40 PM
Oh, i filled up my tank with fuel and used "octane boost" in the fuel. i wonder if this could have caused a problem.

ddalder
04-24-11, 10:49 PM
I doubt this would have caused the problem or you likely would have seen it with all the plugs, especially if you've only ever put it in once. I generally don't add anything to fuel because I've heard some additives aren't very good for your fuel injection system. They typically aren't necessary.

KRSTS
04-25-11, 12:54 PM
I doubt this would have caused the problem or you likely would have seen it with all the plugs, especially if you've only ever put it in once. I generally don't add anything to fuel because I've heard some additives aren't very good for your fuel injection system. They typically aren't necessary.

I agree with not needing additives IF you use top tier gasoline. An occasional bottle of TECHRON, however, is beneficial.

chazglenn3
04-25-11, 01:35 PM
I use Seafoam in my motorcycle and believe it is also as good a product as Techron.

Jmac572
04-25-11, 04:14 PM
I had that EXACT problem on my '05 V6..... Flashing check engine light, engine knocking/loss of power, and rattling noise from under the car.... brought it to the dealer only for them to tell me it was low on oil, add some 10w-30 Mobil1 and your good! my opinion is the factory oil is a little too thin, if I use factory spec it goes thru 1 quart every 1k miles, the 10w-30 has been showing very little oil loss.

ddalder
04-25-11, 09:12 PM
I had that EXACT problem on my '05 V6..... Flashing check engine light, engine knocking/loss of power, and rattling noise from under the car.... brought it to the dealer only for them to tell me it was low on oil, add some 10w-30 Mobil1 and your good! my opinion is the factory oil is a little too thin, if I use factory spec it goes thru 1 quart every 1k miles, the 10w-30 has been showing very little oil loss.
Somehow I don't think that "fixed" your problem. I'm betting there's a lot more going on and this is an inexepensive "very temporary" fix for something a lot more serious.

drgeleen
06-01-11, 01:23 AM
update people. car going in the shop thurs. misfiring 2,4,6 cyldr with random misfires per autozone. now, i put wawa fuel in the car and all hell broke loose. loss power, loud tapping and could not go over 45 mph without engine light blinking. added sunoco fuel and octane boost, check engine light on but no tapping or loss of power. i use gulf fuel and sunoco no problem. what the.......... ps brand new plugs put in by cadillac dealer in feb. cant wait to see what is going on! any comments?

drgeleen
06-01-11, 01:25 AM
i do use 5w 30 maybe 10w will be better

drgeleen
06-21-11, 11:29 PM
took it to dealer with check engine light on, it came out with no check engine light on and fix.. they said nothing was wrong................. they did change plug 2 months prior, i think the went in and saw something the did wrong and fixed it. no missfires anymore, all is good. check engine light on because left cat gotta be replaced thats it. car runs fine again..........

jkharnage
06-22-11, 09:07 PM
You might be correct or perhaps they installed a Technical Service Bulletin software update.