: 94 Fleetwood Proportioning valve

mojazz1231
04-22-11, 08:43 PM
Hi, I need help locating the proportioning valve on my 94 Fleetwood.

I had to replace both front and rear brake lines on the driver side of car and the ABS and Traction lights on the dash has not reset. I thought I cleared the computer by disconnecting the battery for about a minute but lights are still on.

I bleed brakes very well until nothing but fluid was coming out at both wheels. No air as I did it several times making sure no air was still traped in the lines. I have very good brake peddel preasure and brakes work like new.

Where is the proportioning valve located on this car and how do I reset it. A freind told me this might be the problem but don't know where it is or how to reset it. Help me please.

:cool2:

CadillacPimpinNOLA
04-23-11, 05:35 PM
lol, you dont reset a proportioning valve, its simply used to adjust braking between the front and rear

and to be honest i dont even think your car is equipped with a proportioning valve

turbojimmy
04-23-11, 05:41 PM
Hi, I need help locating the proportioning valve on my 94 Fleetwood.

I had to replace both front and rear brake lines on the driver side of car and the ABS and Traction lights on the dash has not reset. I thought I cleared the computer by disconnecting the battery for about a minute but lights are still on.

I bleed brakes very well until nothing but fluid was coming out at both wheels. No air as I did it several times making sure no air was still traped in the lines. I have very good brake peddel preasure and brakes work like new.

Where is the proportioning valve located on this car and how do I reset it. A freind told me this might be the problem but don't know where it is or how to reset it. Help me please.

:cool2:

The ABS and TRAC lights have nothing to do with the proportioning valve. Your BRAKE light would be on if there were a problem caused by the proportioning valve.

You can pull the EBCM (Electronic Brake Control Module) codes through the heater controls. The code(s) will tell you what the problem with the ABS/Trac control is.

If you search the forum you can find instructions for pulling the codes and probably what they mean (I think I posted fairly recently, actually, on the subject).

brougham
04-23-11, 08:27 PM
Proportioning valves can get stuck and have to be reset sometimes. It's rare but it can happen.
I think the ABS codes is one of the few things you can't do yourself and needs the scantool.

turbojimmy
04-23-11, 11:16 PM
DISCLAIMER: I haven't actually tried this, but the manual says it should work this way. I'd go outside to try it, but it's cold out, and it's raining a bit. I'd have to put on shoes, and probably a coat. Maybe a hat, too. I'm tired and need to play Easter bunny tonight.

You can use the HVAC controls to check for ABS/TCS diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs). Enter the diagnostics by pressing the "TEMP UP" switch and the "OFF" switch at the same time. Upon entry, a segment check will be performed and then the graphic display will show pointer number "-00". To display the ABS/TCS DTCs, use the fan speed swtich to scroll to "-04" and press the "OUT TEMP" switch. ABS/TCS trouble codes are as follows:

DTC 21 Front Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit Fault
DTC 23 Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit Continuity Fault
DTC 25 Front Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit Fault
DTC 27 Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit Continuity Fault
DTC 28 Wheel Speed Sensor Frequency Error
DTC 31 Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit Fault
DTC 33 Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit Continuity Fault
DTC 35 Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit Fault
DTC 37 Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit Continuity Fault
DTC 41 RF, LF, RR & LR Inlet Valve Solenoid Fault
DTC 42 RF, LF, RR & LR Outlet Valve Solenoid Fault
DTC 45 RF, LF, RR & LR Inlet Valve Solenoid Fault
DTC 46 RF, LF, RR & LR Outlet Valve Solenoid Fault
DTC 47 Prime Line Valve Solenoid Fault (ASV)
DTC 48 Pilot Valve Solenoid Fault
DTC 51 RF, LF, RR & LR Inlet Valve Solenoid Fault
DTC 52 RF, LF, RR & LR Outlet Valve Solenoid Fault
DTC 55 RF, LF, RR & LR Inlet Valve Solenoid Fault
DTC 56 RF, LF, RR & LR Outlet Valve Solenoid Fault
DTC 58 EBTCM Internal Adjuster Assembly Fault
DTC 61 BPM Valve Pump Motor Fault
DTC 62 RPM Signal Fault
DTC 63 Valve Power Supply Fault
DTC 64 Throttle Position Signal Fault
DTC 65 Adjuster Assembly Circuit Fault
DTC 66 Adjuster Assembly Control Fault
DTC 67 Throttle Position Sensor Comparison Fault
DTC 71 EBTCM Internal Fault
DTC 72 Serial Data Line Fault
DTC 73 Spark Retard Monitoring Fault
DTC 85 Low Voltage

You can clear the DTCs by pressing the "OFF" button while the DTCs are being displayed. The display should show "00" after the DTCs are cleared.

To exit the diagnostic display mode, press any button EXCEPT "OFF", "Rear Defog" or "Defog".

mojazz1231
04-24-11, 11:32 PM
You might not believe this but theboth lights went out. I had to brake hard recently and some time after that I noticed they where not showing any more.

mojazz1231
04-24-11, 11:33 PM
Actually the brake light was on also but I did not mention it. You might not believe this but both lights went out. I had to brake hard recently and some time after that I noticed they where not showing any more.

jayoldschool
04-24-11, 11:41 PM
Braking hard will reset a stuck proportioning valve ;)

mojazz1231
04-24-11, 11:49 PM
Thank you. I didn't know that. That is most likely why the those indicator lights went out