: 86 f/wood brougham -fibre optic?

gillianwhittaker@xtr
04-22-11, 02:10 PM
I removed my rear bumper and the remains of the lhs and rhs "pointy -shaped " fillers . I disconnected the tail lights but on each side was a small(thin) black wire .Thought I would just place a connector where I had cut .Looks now like a fibre optic cable ? Not copper that`s for sure --looks like a small bundle of nylon strands .
a. what is its function ?
b. How can I rejoin this ? Or is it a follow to the end n replace trick ?

thanks
mike

sven914
04-22-11, 02:34 PM
If you look above the rear window, there should be two little red bulbs that look like LED's. They are illuminated by the rear tail light, though a fiber-optic cable. They serve the same function as the lamp monitors on the front.

I do not know if you can re-attach a fiber-optic if the stands are broken. Try taping the ends together and then have a friend shine a flash light into it. If the light comes on above the rear window, then problem solved. If not, replace the cable.

gillianwhittaker@xtr
04-22-11, 07:33 PM
If you look above the rear window, there should be two little red bulbs that look like LED's. They are illuminated by the rear tail light, though a fiber-optic cable. They serve the same function as the lamp monitors on the front.

I do not know if you can re-attach a fiber-optic if the stands are broken. Try taping the ends together and then have a friend shine a flash light into it. If the light comes on above the rear window, then problem solved. If not, replace the cable.

Tx Sven --will try what u say
mike

GMAN12
04-22-11, 08:15 PM
How about some of that shrink wrap that they use for electrical wiring, you can get it at Radio Shack, that might work. When we used to try to fix them in the plant, we tried everything you could think of and nothing worked, the closest we ever got was with a piece of vac. hose, and we still had 1 dim lite. Good luck.

sven914
04-22-11, 11:19 PM
^What about surgical tubing (the clear kind) wrapped in tin foil? That should be reflective enough to carry the light.

brougham
04-23-11, 01:24 PM
The shrink wrap tubing would be the best thing. It'll never be as bright as it was originally.