: Car's first Service--Do I attempt a fix for Ultraview and Passenger seat Rattles?

SleepTight
04-22-11, 09:14 AM
Car's going in next week for oil and filter change at first 4000 miles. I'd just do it myself, but I want the dealer to look at the Ultraview and the Passenger Seat which are (surprise) rattling and creaking.

I'm not one to complain, but I honestly think my V would be the best car I've ever owned if the interior rattles could just be fixed. Is it worth it for me to let the dealer play with the sunroof and passenger seat or should I just learn to live with it?

Has anybody had any success getting these rattles actually fixed?

commander112
04-22-11, 10:46 AM
Yes and yes. I have suffered from both conditions. One I showed the tech the issues during a test drive and gave him a few shots at correcting the issues I am largely fixed now.

e6t
04-22-11, 11:29 AM
no.

in an effort to fix my roof, my car has been further damaged. if you saw all the stuff that is crammed in the headliner around the roof, there is no way you would want a guy that works primarily on chevy cavaliers pounding around in there. Also, the interior needs to be largely removed to get the headliner out. seats, a b&c pillar trims, rear deck, etc... DONT screw with it. suck it up. break out the old van halen cds and turn up the volume. i made a mistake and went against the advice of others on this board. i was wrong. dont make the same mistake i made.

i hate to say it but live with it.

baabootoo
04-22-11, 02:25 PM
Did your oil life alert go off that soon? Mine got to about 10K+ before it did. The level I play my sound at doesn't allow the noises to get through.

SleepTight
04-22-11, 04:07 PM
Did your oil life alert go off that soon? Mine got to about 10K+ before it did. The level I play my sound at doesn't allow the noises to get through.

No alert yet but oil life reads less than 10% remaining. No time like the present.

mpouls1
04-22-11, 07:24 PM
Is it worth it for me to let the dealer play with the sunroof and passenger seat or should I just learn to live with it?

Has anybody had any success getting these rattles actually fixed?

I don't know about the seat but I had the ultraview TSB done, fix was temporary, it's back now. No way going to have that labor intensive work done again. Thank goodness there were only a few monkey grease stains to clean.

RapidRob
04-22-11, 07:28 PM

I'm wondering if the oil-life alert is simply a timer/mileage watcher, or a real particulate measurer? Anyone know for sure?

Rob

Big Pappy
04-22-11, 07:28 PM
For 60+k you shouldn't have to live with it. I know the sunroof is a touchy subject, mine leaked at 400 miles, and the dealer replaced the whole assembly. It made slight creaks before over bumps before, now no noise and it's leak-free.

e6t
04-22-11, 07:42 PM
dont do it. im telling you. DONT DO IT.

JOEYCTS-V
04-22-11, 08:05 PM
Where are you taking the car? If you're not taking it to North bay I would.

Bowtye8
04-22-11, 09:13 PM
wow. I brought my 09 V in for the recall today. I mentioned I have wind noise from the roof. They performed the axel nut recall and said bring the car back next week, it may take a few days for the wind noise repair. Said it seems to be coming from both the roof and rear doors.
I'm afraid as well..... I dont drive my v in the rain but I actually got stuck in the terrible storms a few weeks ago. No leaks... so very happy.
Not sure what I want todo yet. I hate the wind noise but...... dont want it all jacked up from taking apart etc....

tbss08
04-22-11, 09:30 PM
After 7 weeks in the shop last year, it is now two weeks and counting to get the roof noises fixed. My noises were broken welds. I had the whole TSB done, twice. The weld repair last time did not work. I tried to find out the status from the dealer tonight but no dice.
It has been over a week since anyone from the dealership contacted me to let me know what is going on with the car.
Maybe by the time I go on vacation I will have my car back, if not I'll see how a rental DTS does driving thru the Tail of The Dragon. I wonder if Enterprise will be upset if the tires are semi worn down and there is another 3-4K on the clock by the time it returns??

JOEYCTS-V
04-23-11, 12:36 AM
Haven't brought my car to them yet. I probably will in the next few weeks.

SleepTight
04-23-11, 01:07 AM
Where are you taking the car? If you're not taking it to North bay I would.

Hey Joey. Yep, North Bay it is.

SleepTight
04-23-11, 07:50 PM
If you go to Northbay request that Mike M be the only one to work on the car.

Mike M. Got it. Thanks.

JOEYCTS-V
05-13-11, 11:36 PM
Mike M. Got it. Thanks.

What happened when you brought the car in for the sunroof and seat repair?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SleepTight
05-14-11, 12:41 AM
Monday. I'll let everyone know.

ChicagoV
05-14-11, 12:48 AM
I'm wondering if the oil-life alert is simply a timer/mileage watcher, or a real particulate measurer? Anyone know for sure?

Rob

There was a thread (with tasty argument also) about the subject of the oil life monitor recently. Just search it.

tbss08
05-14-11, 08:17 AM
Thursday was 5 weeks this time in the shop for roof noises. I hope to have the car back on Monday. The dealer ordered a headliner to replace the crumpled one they removed and the new one came in with dimples in it. They are suppose to have a new on from Lansing on Monday.

For anyone attempting to get the noises fixed from the roof, just sell the car it will be less of a headache and heartache.

Total time in the shop so far: 14 weeks a record for any of the 25 GM cars I have ever owned.
Also by far the absolute WORSE customer service from GM.

garfin
05-14-11, 09:45 AM

Rob

Without hijacking the thread, there is a very detailed (and long) response to your question on "Bob is the Oil Guy's" site:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/index.php

This site has been around for a number of years and he has developed quite a good reputation and a large following
The response addressing GM's oil life monitor can be found here, in the thread's 1st post:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=130036

Hope this answers any questions.

Best regards,

Elie

RapidRob
05-14-11, 07:16 PM
^^^ Thanks garfin! I remember the old thread here, but I don't recall if a definitive answer was reached. Hence, the reason I asked.

Rob

sharky1
05-16-11, 12:00 PM
Has anyone deduced what is making the noise ? I have it with mine, the dealer applied some grease to the seals after calling the engineers, absolutely no better.....but it seems like less noise if the sun shade is open....has anyone eliminated by removing the trim ring? Thx

tbss08
05-16-11, 06:21 PM
Has anyone deduced what is making the noise ? I have it with mine, the dealer applied some grease to the seals after calling the engineers, absolutely no better.....but it seems like less noise if the sun shade is open....has anyone eliminated by removing the trim ring? Thx

Sharky,
The engineers had told the technician mine had dry seals and they greased it with no change. They took the trim ring out all the way to removing the sun roof and driving around with the noise still present. The welds above the right rear door on mine were broken. That was the first time.
Hopefully I will pick the car back up tomorrow and find out what the heck they did to "Fix" it this time.
Good luck.

sharky1
05-16-11, 08:24 PM
please let us know what they find...

aj660
05-17-11, 02:20 AM
My passenger recaro seat is making noise now. I just started noticing it recently and it's very annoying.

SleepTight
05-17-11, 12:39 PM
I hate to post this given tbss08's nightmare, but I just picked up my car at North Bay and it sounds like a complete Ultraview fix. Invoice shows sunroof window replacement-rear and lube glass seal. All done under warranty.

Invoice also shows no problem found on passenger seat rattle during test drive and I can't hear it now either. Might have been sunroof rattle as well. Mechanic offered that he doubted I could have even heard another rattle in the car given the amount of noise coming from the sunroof.

I have to say, I love this car without the rattle. Helps you focus on all the things that make the V great.

Terrific service from North Bay Cadillac in Roslyn by service adviser Brandon Ross and mechanic Mike Mansueto. Highly recommended.

tbss08
05-17-11, 07:22 PM
Congrats. I just found out after almost 6 weeks in the shop, mine is waiting on a trim piece now.
I forget what it is like to drive a V anymore, let alone one with no roof noises.

Hope yours stays noise free.

aj660
05-17-11, 10:23 PM
Happy to hear about your experience with Northbay. I'm confident that my noise issue is the seat, since I don't have a sunroof.