: Black Diamond Sedan with a wonderful noise, no extra charge!

BD-V
04-22-11, 02:25 AM
I am new to the forum and WAS excited to get my Brand New Black Diamond CTS-V Sedan Tonight. My wife and I had arranged to be dropped off, went through all the paper work, sign, sign, sign...went through all the wondeful things the car does, WOW, so cool...The dealership gave my wife Roses and gave me a shiny new Cadillac Hat (the salesman was/is awesome). Then the drive home, a noise started coming from the rear of the vehicle. I looked at my wife and said can you hear that? She replied yes, but I thought it was the car next to us. I thought so too I said, as the smile disappeared from my face realizing it was us. I called the dealer, but they were closed so we drove home slowly. I got a hold of the salesman at his home and told him the story. He advised either towing it, or driving it slowly back to the dealership where they could put it up and check it out. Holy Crap, I dont want my brand new car with 12 miles on it being towed, or checked out. I dont want it repaired, nor do I want to wait in the service department waiting room. I dont want Technician's driving it or any of that stuff. All I can think about is, I should have bought the C63 I was looking at!!!
72K and not more than 15 minutes of excitement...thanks GM...sweet car...NOT.
Sorry to have this as my first post, but I am pretty disappointed.

cbloveday
04-22-11, 02:32 AM
What did the noise sound like? Have them check & change the differential fluid for starters. Some have noted the level was low from the factory.

jb_bgg
04-22-11, 02:33 AM
I certainly understand your frustration. Hopefully it turns out to be something minor nit that was unfortunately overlooked.

BD-V
04-22-11, 02:39 AM
Rubber on metal, almost like a humming sound that increased with speed. All I can picture in my mind is like a dry dust seal on an axle, which I'm sure is not the case. Maybe something in and around the rotor/caliper area. Definately not like a brake indicator, more deep than that...

Tony407
04-22-11, 05:52 AM
There's a good chance in a year from now this will all be water under the bridge. And I might add, statistically you'd have a better chance of having something go wrong with the C63. Not that it helps your V much, but the same thing can happen to anyone. Sorry it happened to you though. Welcome to the forum and don't let this ruin your excitement, although I'm sure I would feel the same way.

Tony

Nutz
04-22-11, 08:35 AM
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:crying2::crying2::crying2: Go get your C63, and pick up a jar of Grey p00pon on the way home...

You just bought one of the best cars made, so give the people that designed and built it a chance to make sure it was prepped properly, and enjoy a cup of decaf in the waiting room! I have alot more to say, but I'm gonna be nice.

Hay, BTW welcome to the forum BD-V!! :welcome5:

:coffee:

Sorry Sal, I rarely or never rant and this really put me on the chip.

GM-4-LIFE
04-22-11, 02:56 PM
Sounds like rear end diff fluid needs to be drained and re-filled. It is minor and don't let it get you down. It was probably low from the factory. It's been known to happen. Don't be too critical. It's just a car. I have had much worse happen with the 3 Mercedes vehicles we have owned in the past. My GM vehicles have had NO problems compared to the problems I have had with the German turds we have had. Funny thing is I have always been a GM guy, but after I got married, my wife wanted to venture through the Mercedes brand. After the 3 NEW Mercedes vehicles we have had, we will NEVER go back. What nightmares of problems and unexpected high cost of maintenance we had to go through. And for what? Just to drive an expensive German luxury brand.

Do you know how many sets of brake pads and rotors a new Mercedes S500 needs in the first 20K miles? We needed 2 full sets and at the price they wanted! GEEZ!!! None of our Cadillacs have ever needed a single brake pad or rotor change in tens of thousands of miles of driving. Just oil changes ever 10K miles or so. Be happy that your new CTS-V has included maintenance as well.

My wife and I are more than happy with our Escalade and V Coupe. We are forever GM customers.

You have a warranty for a reason. Take it back and have them check it out. No big deal.

cdog533
04-22-11, 03:59 PM
Drive it back to the dealership, probably something simple.

These things are machines, and have issues, just like any machine.

thebigjimsho
04-22-11, 09:41 PM
It sounds like it could be something minor. Maybe something stupid, maybe you picked up something on the road? I can understand you want perfection at any price on a new car, nevermind a 72k car. Take a breath, get some sleep, figure out what you need to do and get it looked at. It sounds like they like to go above and beyond at your dealer, so that's a good thing...

baabootoo
04-22-11, 11:13 PM
Yes, keep us posted.

dg144
04-22-11, 11:30 PM
Hope it all works out and you can then roll the windows down and listen for that magical thunderous roaring music coming out of the pipes in rear!!

BD-V
04-23-11, 02:45 AM
Here is an update to the V. I slowly drove the V back to the dealer this morning where I paid very close attention to the noise. By the end of the trip I was convinced it was in the diff/rear end and not out by the Calipers. When I pulled up, the Service Manager actually ran out to greet me and was very concerned. I told him the whole story in which he replied, let me get my V tech to go for a ride. So we went for a ride, I told the tech about what some of the forum members had said abouth diff oil and he agreed. He said that those things are suppose to be checked when it's PDI'd, but would be happy to check it when we got back. After the drive, he agreed with me that it was coming from the diff and we needed to get it up in the air and check it out. Ok, now I'm in the waiting room of the service dept pacing like an expectant father while I see a bunch of guys starting to gather around my car, then the salesman joins them, General Manager and others. SHEESH, I know its gonna be bad news by the gesture's and body language...so here it comes, the salesman, manager, tech and the Service Manager headed my way. The poor damn SM comes up and says, Mr V owner we have thoroughly checked your vehicle and after consulting with GM, have decided your rear end needs to be replaced. BOOM, there it is...I sucked air for about 30 seconds before replying, you guy's have been great and I appreciate the kindness in handling this delicate matter. I then said, GM has just destroyed my new dream car buying experience due to thier lack of quality control on their flagship vehicle... Well, thats my story, I am not sure what to do at this juncture as its taken me 2 years to finally get to the point of buying that "dream car". Here's the topper, I had one of my guys drop my wife and I off to pick up the car last night. He went to work today and told all the other employees he had named my car "Edward" after the guy in twilight, cause it sparkles in the sunlight. LOL thats pretty damn funny right there...
Not sure what I'm going to do at this point...thanks to all who replied and for the positive attitudes.

buddyg
04-23-11, 07:12 AM
Every car company has problems, your rear end was probably built on a Monday! Get it replaced and be happy with an awesome vehicle, you could also ask for a brand new car in place of this one. I would never buy the C63 as I think it is ugly!

cbloveday
04-23-11, 07:52 AM
What exactly is wrong with the rear end? Did they go into specifics? I have never heard of a rear end needing replacement. ODD

MReiland
04-23-11, 08:01 AM
Hopefully you will give them the chance to fix it and make you happy. Sounds like your dealer is all about customer service and doing what ever it takes to help you out. I would also like to know more about what was wrong with the rear diff. For the most part they have been bulletproof in this vehicle.

TrevorD
04-23-11, 09:57 AM
That definitely sucks, and I can understand where you're coming from. Regardless of what anyone says, if your car breaks 30 minutes after you sign the paperwork on your new car you're going to be discouraged. I had an '09, the first year of the new V, and it was nothing but great. It is a crappy situation, but it sounds like you have a GREAT dealership that is ready to take care of you. I would tell them to spread the word to the right GM higher-ups that they need to get a new rearend to the dealership to get it fixed ASAP before I have too much time to think about an alternative solution. Again, the circumstances do suck, but as the saying goes, make lemonade from life's lemons...or GM's. ;) I, too, considered the C63 AMG, and you made the right choice. You'll completely agree when you pick it up from the dealership with a new rearend and finally get to enjoy the car!

Trevor

thebigjimsho
04-24-11, 07:25 PM
Yep, not a great feeling and I don't blame you for questioning your purchase. HOWEVER, even the most reputable of all cars/parts have a flawed model once in a while. These diffs have been widely trouble-free. You're going to get a new one and it's going to work properly and you will properly enjoy your dream car.

e6t
04-24-11, 07:42 PM
couple things... your dealer sounds legit. i'd let them fix it and see what happens. they actually said they had a "V Tech". my dealer laughed at me when i questioned if they had a V Tech and said they only had a tech that was certified to work on a "specialty car", the XLR.

also, you MIGHT have the option to cancel the contract depending upon the circumstance under which you purchased the car. If you want out of the contract, ask the dealer asap and then call an attorney, again, ASAP.

baabootoo
04-25-11, 01:05 AM
Like was said, file a complaint with GM and "if" they built it wrong/didn't check a fluid, it should be their issue. I hope you're getting a nice loaner too......

Kadonny
04-25-11, 09:30 AM
Here is an update to the V. I slowly drove the V back to the dealer this morning where I paid very close attention to the noise. By the end of the trip I was convinced it was in the diff/rear end and not out by the Calipers. When I pulled up, the Service Manager actually ran out to greet me and was very concerned. I told him the whole story in which he replied, let me get my V tech to go for a ride. So we went for a ride, I told the tech about what some of the forum members had said abouth diff oil and he agreed. He said that those things are suppose to be checked when it's PDI'd, but would be happy to check it when we got back. After the drive, he agreed with me that it was coming from the diff and we needed to get it up in the air and check it out. Ok, now I'm in the waiting room of the service dept pacing like an expectant father while I see a bunch of guys starting to gather around my car, then the salesman joins them, General Manager and others. SHEESH, I know its gonna be bad news by the gesture's and body language...so here it comes, the salesman, manager, tech and the Service Manager headed my way. The poor damn SM comes up and says, Mr V owner we have thoroughly checked your vehicle and after consulting with GM, have decided your rear end needs to be replaced. BOOM, there it is...I sucked air for about 30 seconds before replying, you guy's have been great and I appreciate the kindness in handling this delicate matter. I then said, GM has just destroyed my new dream car buying experience due to thier lack of quality control on their flagship vehicle... Well, thats my story, I am not sure what to do at this juncture as its taken me 2 years to finally get to the point of buying that "dream car". Here's the topper, I had one of my guys drop my wife and I off to pick up the car last night. He went to work today and told all the other employees he had named my car "Edward" after the guy in twilight, cause it sparkles in the sunlight. LOL thats pretty damn funny right there...
Not sure what I'm going to do at this point...thanks to all who replied and for the positive attitudes.

It will get fixed and you will drive it......a lot and you will soon forget that your rear was replaced. Just remember I said that as you drive down the road with a huge smile on your face finally realizing just how great a car it really is.

cdog533
04-25-11, 11:30 AM
This is actually GREAT news. You found the problem, it's an easily replaced unit, and you'll be back on the road.

I do wonder if the gears weren't shimmed/aligned, or whether it was BONE dry, or simply just a bad unit....

JimmyH
04-25-11, 12:49 PM
Life is a crapshoot. Enjoy the ride. You're car is getting fixed. Sounds like a good deal to me. I'll take a brand new busted differential over most of the other problems life can throw at you.

pmsteinm
04-25-11, 01:08 PM
Always risky getting a car from Detroit around NHL playoff time...your car was probably built during a Coyotes/Wings game. Since the Wings are off for a few days, anyone getting a car built early this week should be ok ;)

Wait until you've had the car for a few months before you ding the quality. I'd like to point out that my wife's BMW 335i had 3 fuel pumps in it's 1st 2 years...every car has issues.

At least your are getting it fixed promptly. You should also have been provided with a loaner during this period so you can still get around.

All that said, it does suck when any new toy breaks on the first day.

Domsz06
04-25-11, 02:13 PM
not sure what the big deal is here. You bought a car and things go wrong. Who cares, you get it fixed for free and you will have the bad arse car again.

PremierJosh
04-25-11, 02:46 PM
You will forget all about the amg and this issue once you get the car back. Especially after adding a pulley and tune but I would put some miles on it first to make sure you don't have any other issues. That is hard for me to say since I modded mine after 3 days of ownership.

Jon
04-25-11, 08:24 PM
Sorry to hear that your new car purchase wasn't what you wanted it to be, but take this into consideration.

The sales person, general manager, and service department all seemed top notch and actually WANTED to take care of you. It sucks that you had a problem, but it sounds like Cadillac is there to make sure everything goes right.

Getting a new rear diff isn't as bad as it seems. You're getting a brand new part instead of them trying to mess around and fix a damaged unit. Your car is virtually brand new; I'd be very happy to hear that they're putting a brand new diff in instead of fixing what's there.

You're going to love your V when you get it back.

baabootoo
04-26-11, 12:05 AM
....but will he now worry about every little noise in the future?

thebigjimsho
04-26-11, 01:04 PM
....but will he now worry about every little noise in the future?
Not at 191mph...

Tony407
04-26-11, 06:00 PM
Not at 191mph...

Or, especially at 191 mph.

Tony

GM-4-LIFE
04-27-11, 10:18 AM
So, what's the update with this?

Domsz06
04-27-11, 02:07 PM
so, what's the update with this?

+1 :d :d :d

SPEED74V
07-06-11, 12:14 PM
I would like to know also, as mine is at the dealership today getting the rear end looked at. I had the dealer change the rear diff fluid and brake fluid just to be on the safe side, as I am planning on tracking it in a few weeks. After the fluids were changed, a few days later I started to get some rear end gear whine at 40mph & 80mph - very annoying by the way. I had the dealer change the fluid again but noise is still there. Hopefully they figure something out today. Good thing it happened before I started the mods:D

Caddy Wagon
07-06-11, 05:20 PM
Maybe they didn't put in the differential additive when they changed the fluid?

SPEED74V
07-06-11, 05:51 PM
Maybe they didn't put in the differential additive when they changed the fluid?

That's what I suggested when I took it back but it was on the bill. The second time they changed it, they said there was a bulletin out to change the fluid to some new LS fluid or something that already had the additive in it. Still didn't help though. I got a call a little while ago and they are going to tear it apart and see if they can find anything.

thebigjimsho
07-06-11, 06:39 PM
That's what I suggested when I took it back but it was on the bill. The second time they changed it, they said there was a bulletin out to change the fluid to some new LS fluid or something that already had the additive in it. Still didn't help though. I got a call a little while ago and they are going to tear it apart and see if they can find anything.The easiest DIY on the V is changing the diff fluid. Before letting the dealer tear it down, I'd get some Amsoil 75W-90 Severe Gear fluid and get some of their additive. Amsoil also has a great hand pump that makes it a breeze. It takes a couple minutes to do once you get it on ramps.

SPEED74V
07-06-11, 06:49 PM
The easiest DIY on the V is changing the diff fluid. Before letting the dealer tear it down, I'd get some Amsoil 75W-90 Severe Gear fluid and get some of their additive. Amsoil also has a great hand pump that makes it a breeze. It takes a couple minutes to do once you get it on ramps.

I'm going to search for the Amsoil stuff right now. I will definitely do it myself next time. Maybe I will get some for the dealer when they put it back together. Thanks for the info:thumbsup:

SPEED74V
07-06-11, 06:58 PM
Would you get the 75W-90 or the 75W-110? I will probably have it to the road track quite a bit, if that makes a difference.

thebigjimsho
07-06-11, 07:20 PM
I tracked in my '04 on the 75W-90 and it was fine. Last year I had the same in my '09 and had 2 track days. Worked fine for me. Don't know about the 110...

C66 Racing
07-17-11, 09:19 AM
That's what I suggested when I took it back but it was on the bill. The second time they changed it, they said there was a bulletin out to change the fluid to some new LS fluid or something that already had the additive in it. Still didn't help though. I got a call a little while ago and they are going to tear it apart and see if they can find anything.

The "new" fluid is Dexron LS and it does have the friction modifier already in it - lots of it to quiet diff chatter experienced on the C6 Corvette and current gen CTS-V. Many aftermarket fluids like the AMSOIL Severe Gear Extreme Pressure Synthetic 75w90 (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/Product%20Bulletins/SVGPB.htm) (Product Code SVGQT) come with friction modifier already in them and adding extra modifier is not normally needed to prevent diff chatter for most cars. I ran this fluid in my 06 CTS-V (sold in 09) and continue to use it in my 02 Corvette Z06 SCCA racecar without extra modifier and neither diff chatters. Currrent gen GM diffs are different and need more modifier. For the current gen CTS-V (and the C6 Corvette) I recommend using at least a few ounces of the AMSOIL Slip-Lock Differential Additive (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/Product%20Bulletins/ADAPB.htm) (Product Code ADATB) to prevent diff chatter.

Note that diff chatter is not diff whine. Diff chatter is caused by the clutch plates grabbing and releasing vice sliding smoothly over each other when they are spinning at different speeds. May sound like a groaning and is normally heard coming out of driveways or in parking lots when there is a big difference in the rotational speed of the two rear tires (like in a very sharp turn). The friction modifier will prevent diff chatter in cases where it occurs.

Diff whine is much more complicated and has to do with how the gears physically meet up. Diff whine is hear while driving at speed and can normally be varying by the load on the diff (e.g. take your foot off the gas and note the change in pitch of the whine). Once whine starts, I am aware of no fluid that can fix it. Some have reported going to a higher viscosity fluid and having some benefit, but I personally think the downside of pumping a higher viscosity fluid through the diff with the resultant increase in friction, thus less net HP and a drop in mpg is not worth it, but I don't have to live with diff whine so easy for me to say.

Going to a higher quality fluid very early in the car's (or diff's) life may help prevent diff whine, but I emphasize the may. Diff whine is so prevalent in the V (both gen's) that there just seems to be something in the design that causes it. I have been long time forum member on many Vette forums and the diff whine just doesn't seem to be a problem in the Vette, but is in the V (and was in the Pontiac GTO as well - didn't follow the G89 forums). Really not sure why. :cheers: