: Big brother comes in the form of your IPod!

orconn
04-21-11, 07:53 PM
Apparently the IPod and other Apple products have programs that track you every geographical move while you are carrying the thing around. This information may be downloaded and a printout of your movements with the device can be printed out. Kind of scary, particularly if you are up to no good. So if you think that your spouse is cheating on you give he/she an IPod for your anniversary. Meanwhile leave your IPod at home until Apple develops a program to erase your travels from your device!

hueterm
04-21-11, 07:56 PM
Or just get rid of them altogether...

OffThaHorseCEO
04-21-11, 09:03 PM
Or just get rid of them altogether...

The spouse or the device?

EChas3
04-21-11, 09:54 PM
Cops already have the equipment to dump all data from smart-phones, too. The ACLU wanted Michigan's records to check for abuses but balked at the fee.

Ranger
04-21-11, 09:55 PM
George Orwell wasn't to far off was he.

I can't wait to hear Apples explanation as to why it is there.

hueterm
04-22-11, 10:53 AM
The spouse or the device?

The iCult....

But today they reported that Android does the same thing, and I'm sure Blackberrys do too...

The Tony Show
04-22-11, 01:20 PM
Android phones also do it, and upload the data to Google multiple times per day. Presumably it is there for these companies to analyze signal strength, density of users in certain areas and tower placement.

If law enforcement wants to use geotracking on a phone as another method to bust a pedophile or rapist by confirming their location at the time of the crime, then awesome. The only stipulation I'd want though, is that the laws regarding warrants and search/seizure need to be amended to apply to mobile phone data. As of right now, your phone is not protected by the law, so any traffic cop can ask to have your phone and download the data, including contact lists, emails and IMs, which is ludicrous, but the tools to do so have been sold to police departments since 2008.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20056344-281.html

OffThaHorseCEO
04-22-11, 01:38 PM
its for multiple things and you can opt out. opting out disables any of the gps programs from working though.

supposedly, no personally identifiable information is transmitted by either google, apple, rim, palm, or any other major smartphone os company

The Tony Show
04-22-11, 07:39 PM
You can't opt out of this- it's different from the front end location services.

OffThaHorseCEO
04-22-11, 07:46 PM
on the apple devices no. at least i dont think so, but i believe you can turn your gps antenna off, which will prevent the phone from pinpointing your location and therefore sending such location info. this of course will render gps based apps less useful

blackberry has permission settings for apps. you can control permissions to a pretty detailed extent. it may render the app useless, but it will prevent info from being sent out
on android phones, during the initial set up process, you can opt out of location farming. once again, it will disable the gps function of google maps etc, but it will prevent location info from being sent out.

so you have a choice, its a pretty crappy choice, but its no different than manufacturers putting blackboxes in cars...

guess what? onstar is watching you too

EChas3
04-22-11, 08:36 PM
It's all about location-specific advertising.

However, add in the law of unintended consequences and your privacy loses once again.

The Tony Show
04-22-11, 11:00 PM
on the apple devices no. at least i dont think so, but i believe you can turn your gps antenna off, which will prevent the phone from pinpointing your location and therefore sending such location info. this of course will render gps based apps less useful

blackberry has permission settings for apps. you can control permissions to a pretty detailed extent. it may render the app useless, but it will prevent info from being sent out
on android phones, during the initial set up process, you can opt out of location farming. once again, it will disable the gps function of google maps etc, but it will prevent location info from being sent out.

No, you can't. As I said, even if you disable location services in the front end menu, both phones still do this. All disabling location services does is prevents it from feeding your location to apps, but the internal log file will still be generated. The only way to stop it is to jailbreak your iPhone and then install a third party app that periodically cleans the log file out.

dkozloski
04-23-11, 12:26 AM
Throw the SOB in the dumpster and let'em track that for a while.

ben.gators
04-23-11, 12:36 AM
guess what? onstar is watching you too

We know it and indeed we pay them to watch us and our car. That is what they are for. The problem here is these systems are watching us without our approval or knowledge.

ben.gators
05-06-11, 01:27 AM
http://media.funlol.com/pictures/18346.jpg

Aron9000
05-07-11, 11:58 AM
http://media.funlol.com/pictures/18346.jpg

LOLOLOLO!!!

Seriously though, about the only way you're going to keep big brother from tracking you is to throw out your cell phone, quit using your internet, get rid of your satellite/cable tv and just pick up the free airwaves, get rid of the land line at your house. Maybe you can get a ham radio or cb to talk to people. So yeah, have fun with that.

dkozloski
05-07-11, 12:44 PM
LOLOLOLO!!!

Seriously though, about the only way you're going to keep big brother from tracking you is to throw out your cell phone, quit using your internet, get rid of your satellite/cable tv and just pick up the free airwaves, get rid of the land line at your house. Maybe you can get a ham radio or cb to talk to people. So yeah, have fun with that.

With readily available equipment anyone can drive down the street and determine what channel your TV is tuned to and what you are listening to on your radio. Every radio and TV receiver also transmits because of the nature of superheterodyne technology that has been around for nearly 100 years. They have been using this for years in Britain to catch those that are listening to pirate stations.

Aron9000
05-07-11, 02:13 PM
With readily available equipment anyone can drive down the street and determine what channel your TV is tuned to and what you are listening to on your radio. Every radio and TV receiver also transmits because of the nature of superheterodyne technology that has been around for nearly 100 years. They have been using this for years in Britain to catch those that are listening to pirate stations.

Cool, didn't know that!!

So I guess your best bet to avoid big brother is to live in a shack in Montana and you entertain yourself by sending mail bombs.

OffThaHorseCEO
05-09-11, 11:41 AM
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/229706_182626898456295_182361638482821_506499_7443 926_n.jpg

orconn
05-09-11, 12:28 PM
Cool, didn't know that!!

So I guess your best bet to avoid big brother is to live in a shack in Montana and you entertain yourself by sending mail bombs.

Or live in Abbotabad and run a worldwide terrorist organization using only a few couriers!

Aron9000
05-09-11, 05:56 PM
Or live in Abbotabad and run a worldwide terrorist organization using only a few couriers!

Big brother still found him though. There is no hiding.