: Car dies while braking

Caddylover86
04-21-11, 06:40 PM
hello i have an 89 Fleetwood brougham 307 olds and i'm having an issue. the car starts and idles like a champ and runs pretty dam smooth for the most part. the only issue im having is that sometimes when i go to brake for like a stop sign/light my car starts to sputter and wants to cut off. at the same time the stop engine oil pressure light flickers and if i let of the brakes just for a second the car recovers. after this happens its hard to get the car to accelerate, i pretty much have to punch it to get the car to go again. idk what is going on, i just got a fresh oil change and i also just changed the fuel filter. but before i just keep throwing money at the issue i would like to get some opinions on the matter. thank you

outsider
04-21-11, 06:45 PM
check for vacuum leaks. scary that the oil pressure light comes on though!

sven914
04-21-11, 08:40 PM
Your Torque Converter Clutch solenoid may be sticking. The TCC engages at highway speeds and locks the engine and transmission together (for efficiency). If it doesn't disengage, the weight of the transmission and axle can cause the engine to stall when coming to a stop; like trying to stop a manual transmission without downshifting. Any transmission shop should be able to change the solenoid.

Have you had the oil pressure checked?

Insufficient oil pressure can cause valves in the valve-train to stick, which can cause stalling and poor performance at low speed. Being that the oil pump is powered by the internal movement of the engine, it may not be capable of supplying enough pressure when the engine is in slow idle.

cadillac kevin
04-22-11, 12:24 AM
sounds like the TCC solenoid. mine went out and I didnt know it for a month. lol.
go on the highway get up to speed, then when you get off, brake and note the speed when it tries to die. TCC solenoid should disengage at about 40mph. if it doesnt, the car will shudder and try to die.

Caddylover86
04-22-11, 08:24 AM
thanks everyone im going to start with the tcc test ill let you know what i find. also if it is that about how much am i looking at to get it fixed. im pretty good with engines just not trans issues.

sven914
04-22-11, 02:22 PM
It cost about $45 to have mine replaced.

You don't really need it. You can have it disconnected and never notice any adverse effects.

Caddylover86
04-24-11, 03:14 PM
okay its definitely the TCC solenoid, thanks kevin and sven914. after doing a few test at highway speed it starts to act up. as far as the OP, i have good pressure. currently looking around for a shop thats not gonna scam me. so what is this like a $200 fix or am i looking at more since its part of the valve body in the trans?

sven914
04-24-11, 11:17 PM
It's not in the valve body. They do need to drop the pan, so there will be an extra charge for fluid, but they don't need to disassemble anything. When I had mine done, the total bill was $145 and I had a fluid exchange and filter change done while they were in there. The TCC was only $45 parts/labor.

jayoldschool
04-24-11, 11:48 PM
It could also be the switch on the brake pedal that disengages the torque converter.

Caddylover86
04-25-11, 01:41 PM
yeah i was thinking that as well because when i press the brake a couple times before coming to a stop light it seems to run fine. and as long as i do that before every stop the car runs perfect. so idk

Caddylover86
04-28-11, 06:09 PM
well i took it to the shop today and they said my TCC is working fine and that it looks mechnical :hmm: and that it looks like the fluid is very dirty. they are saying that a flush and new filter might help but they wont be sure till after its done. otherwise i might need a whole new torque converter!! and they want to charge $$$$300 bucks!!!! sounds crazy to me just to do a flush and filter and charge 300. this shop is very dependable but i dont like that price. i think i might just do it myself.

outsider
04-28-11, 06:21 PM
just did the flush and filter on my 87...takes a few hours. $300 isn't ridiculous depending how much they charge per hour.

sven914
04-28-11, 06:32 PM
The inside of the torque converter is probably gummed up with sludge that the clutch is sticking to.

Ask them how much it would be to have the TCC disconnected. If that is the cause, then the car will at least be drivable until you are financially able to have the service performed.

Caddylover86
04-29-11, 02:53 AM
is a transmission flush going to mess up the trans? ive heard mixed comments about the subject and i dont want to flush it and then the tranny starts going bad.

outsider
04-29-11, 09:43 AM
When they say flush they probably just mean drain...I've never done an actual "flush" either because I've heard bad things about it...I just drain, replace the filter, and refill.

RocketFast321
04-29-11, 03:47 PM
is a transmission flush going to mess up the trans? ive heard mixed comments about the subject and i dont want to flush it and then the tranny starts going bad.

Just do it, its an old myth about not changing the fluid.

RocketFast321
04-29-11, 03:55 PM
When they say flush they probably just mean drain...I've never done an actual "flush" either because I've heard bad things about it...I just drain, replace the filter, and refill.

You have a flush and power flush.
Flush:
You are using the trans pump flush the system. Disconnect the trans coolant hose and extend them. Find out which one is in and out. You would put the "in" hose in a bucket of clean fluid and put the "out" in a empty bucket.
something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsdPAadc9fY

power flush
That's the bad one. An external pump is connected to the trans and put pressure on it and the seals.

Caddylover86
04-29-11, 06:43 PM
yeah i think that the shop has a machine that gets hooked up and forces new fluid through the system. im assuming thats the power flush. either way i need to do something to fix this cause its annoying the hell out of me. besides this the car runs perfect.

sven914
04-29-11, 07:10 PM
You have a flush and power flush.
Flush:
You are using the trans pump flush the system. Disconnect the trans coolant hose and extend them. Find out which one is in and out. You would put the "in" hose in a bucket of clean fluid and put the "out" in a empty bucket.
something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsdPAadc9fY

power flush
That's the bad one. An external pump is connected to the trans and put pressure on it and the seals.

That's a myth too. Most "Power" flushing machines don't generate any more pressure than the pump. Any shop that is recommending a flush is going to use a machine.

The reason most people are against transmission flushes (power or just using the engine) is because there are so many shops out there that cannot perform one without killing the transmission.

Most of your lube and tire shops use a machine flushing method where they pump clean fluid through the cooler lines. All of the crap and sludge in the transmission is pumped directly into the filter, which is where it belongs. They screw up when they never change the filter, which gets clogged and chokes the transmission. An actual transmission shop will change the filter after the flush.

A flush that is properly done can kill your transmission. If you car has high mileage or has been abused, then the friction material in the clutch pack could be worn off. The fluid absorbs the friction material and allow the clutches to engage without slipping. When the fluid is remove, the friction material is also removed, and the clutches will have no way to lock together. But note that if this happens, the transmission was dead to begin with. A transmission shop should be able to tell from the color and consistency of the fluid, if the transmission has degraded to that point and whether or not a flush would be detrimental.

Caddylover86
04-29-11, 08:45 PM
thanks everyone

Caddylover86
05-03-11, 09:55 PM
ok got the trans flushed + the filter and the tcc replaced!!! BINGO! also had the tech look at my plates and there are still alot of friction material left on there so yahh!! anyways she shifts like a dream now thanks all for the help