: chrome door protectors..

steck
04-21-11, 02:20 PM
just wondering if ever those chrome trim pieces that run vertical along the edge of the doors were EVER factory..

how hard would they be to get them off ? say after 40 yrs !

i never really liked the look of those and want to remove them..

i think they break up the lines of the car

csbuckn
04-21-11, 03:03 PM
I think mine came with the car, they were the same color as my car. They just pull right off but it may be a little dirty and sticky underneath. Mine came off one side and I think it took some of the paint with it.

jayoldschool
04-21-11, 07:15 PM
Heat will help them off without hurting the paint, then hit the door edge with a little Meguiar's Ultimate Compound.

I agree, they really break up the lines of the car.

steck
04-21-11, 08:47 PM
yeah i was wondering about paint damage when they come off...

i'll give it a try, and post some 'befores' and 'afters'

cadillac kevin
04-21-11, 11:12 PM
I believe mine are factory (chrome). I really dont want to take them off either (plus they dont wnat to come off) . theres rust creeping out from behind them in a few spots on the front doors.

gillianwhittaker@xtr
04-22-11, 03:31 AM
yes, mine were/are chrome . Came off with a wide 3" timber wedge laid on a piece of protective cloth . tap, tap move tap tap move --you get the picture.
mike

jayoldschool
04-22-11, 01:30 PM
Mom just dropped by with her mint 84 FWB sedan. Factory door protectors. I had never noticed them. They are metal, not plated plastic.

steck
04-22-11, 02:16 PM
I believe mine are factory (chrome). I really dont want to take them off either (plus they dont wnat to come off) . theres rust creeping out from behind them in a few spots on the front doors.

good call - about the rust underneath them...

hmmm, must think more about this !

i wonder if they would be less noticeable if they were body color..instead of chrome..

pompste
04-22-11, 09:10 PM
just wondering if ever those chrome trim pieces that run vertical along the edge of the doors were EVER factory..

how hard would they be to get them off ? say after 40 yrs !

i never really liked the look of those and want to remove them..

i think they break up the lines of the car

What kind of Caddy do you have? You may want to list it for easy referral for members for any future threads.
I temporarily removed my real chrome door edge guards last year on my '78 Deville when i installed some stainless steel rocker panels.I was careful to not damage the paint since they are real metal.There will be some evidence the door edge guards were there when/if you remove them.No rust at all under mine,but they leave some minor imprint.
I put mine back on after i installed the rockers since i like the look---some like the look, some don`t---to each his own!

turbojimmy
04-23-11, 08:00 AM
Funny - I just took mine off this past Thursday. I think the coachbuilder puts them on because I see all the limos have them. They do break up the lines of the car - it looks much better without them:

Before:
http://turbojimmy.4t.com/limo_tint-1.jpg

After:

http://turbojimmy.4t.com/limo_042111.jpg

D Yaros
04-23-11, 11:16 AM
I guess it depends on the year. I do know for a fact that they were a factory option in 1955, but I suspect you are referring to a much later year?

brougham
04-23-11, 12:22 PM
At some point starting in the mid 80s they were standard and they were body colored.