: Go with new engine or fight for a new vehicle

wiz02
04-21-11, 11:50 AM
Hi:

My 2011 CTS Coupe (with the 3.6L VVT DI engine) spun the #3 rod bearing at 1600 miles. The dealership has received authorization from GM to replace the entire engine. While this seems better to me than going the rebuild route, I am not happy that my new car will have the engine removed and replaced. :mad:

Does anyone have any knowledge to share on this type of situation? Is it totally out of line / futile to ask for a new vehicle? Thoughts?

ejguillot
04-21-11, 01:06 PM
With the new engine replacement being done properly, you should be just fine, no lost value or anything.

vincentm
04-21-11, 01:18 PM
Wow spun a rod bearing already?

wiz02
04-21-11, 02:26 PM
vincentm:
Hard to believe the rod bearing spin in only 1600 miles isn't it? The service manager's theory is that an oiling passage is obstructed and the bearing didn't get enough oil. Luckily I never touched the engine in any way. I was planning on changing the oil this weekend no less.

ejguillot:
I keep my vehicles a long time, and while lost value is a certainly a consideration, I am unsure that I will get the same longevity and performance from all of the engine / transmission subsystems after they are opened in the field.

wiz02
04-22-11, 09:25 AM
FYI - I called Cadillac customer service yesterday and I opened a "case". I will keep you posted after they check with the dealer and get back to me.

jagilbertvt
07-07-11, 04:21 PM
FYI - I called Cadillac customer service yesterday and I opened a "case". I will keep you posted after they check with the dealer and get back to me.

How did you make out? My 2011 Buick Lacrosse CXL (w/ the same LLT 3.6L VVTDI engine) just spun a rod bearing at 5855 miles. They are currently rebuilding the engine. I am a bit concerned about that and I find myself wondering if I should be demanding a new engine.

98eldo32v
07-07-11, 07:43 PM
1600 miles? A spun bearing? 2011 car? WOW.

Personally, I would have driven right back to the dealership. Gotten a hold of my salesperson, the service manager, and the dealership owner. I would have politely asked, "Gentlemen, if this was your brand new car and this happened, how would like to have this situation resolved?" While you ponder over that, I'm going to leave this car here and you guys come up with a solution, I DON'T WANT A REPAIRED ENGINE OR SWAPPED ENGINE. You guys figure it out.

sfv41901
01-16-12, 08:08 PM
1600 miles? A spun bearing? 2011 car? WOW.

Personally, I would have driven right back to the dealership. Gotten a hold of my salesperson, the service manager, and the dealership owner. I would have politely asked, "Gentlemen, if this was your brand new car and this happened, how would like to have this situation resolved?" While you ponder over that, I'm going to leave this car here and you guys come up with a solution, I DON'T WANT A REPAIRED ENGINE OR SWAPPED ENGINE. You guys figure it out.

This is what I would have done

Cougar281
01-29-12, 09:05 PM
Personally, I would not have a problem with a new crate motor being dropped in, even at 1600 miles, but I WOULD have a problem with that new of a car getting the engine rebuilt.

Edit: Wow, didn't realise how old the thread was :eek: