: Dropping a 1980 Fleetwood...

ThaBigD
04-21-11, 01:46 AM
Hey all, long time viewer, first time poster, Got a pretty simple question, im just afraid it has a complex answer...I want to drop my 1980 fleetwood, a good, 3-4 inch drop, it has functioning air ride, what do I do about that? I know on my 02 DHS it had a bracket for the Air ride switch....I hear 94-96 ss impala springs or ones designed to lower the impala work, is that true? What else must be done, thanks all...

-Dennis

cadillac_al
04-21-11, 07:54 AM
The Impala springs might get you an inch lower but probably not 3-4. You can always buy custom springs in any configuration you want or you can do it the old fashioned way. In the old days a lot of high dollar cars just cut coils off the springs. I have never done it on a street car but I was always concerned there could be a squeaking issue. I don't think it should be too hard to find some kind of rubber isolators to fit on them after they are cut. Come to think of it I used to slip some kind of large fuel hose over the spring to isolate it. It would be very cool to modify/adjust the level ride to keep on helping the rear springs.

outsider
04-21-11, 08:14 AM
i've heard it's hard to keep the springs exactly the same height when cutting. Never tried it myself, but that's what I've heard from many places. might be off by a tiny amount that you wouldn't care about, but still off.

csbuckn
04-21-11, 10:45 AM
Just buy springs designed to drop the Impala a couple inches. Disconnect the air ride level thing from the rear upper control arm cause it wont work right, then put air shocks in the rear and run the valve to behind the license plate.

Adrian12
04-28-11, 04:54 AM
Just buy springs designed to drop the Impala a couple inches. Disconnect the air ride level thing from the rear upper control arm cause it wont work right, then put air shocks in the rear and run the valve to behind the license plate.

hi

sounds good and thats the same plan i have... i baught impala lowering springs but already not installed....

but would same shocks work? cause of the height change?

thanks a lot

adrian

csbuckn
04-28-11, 09:42 AM
I know the stock springs work with stock Impala springs but I dont know about lowering springs. Might as well change them anyway, you'll be taking them off to do the springs. Now that I think about it, they should work because the car would hit the bump stops before the shocks bottom out.

gillianwhittaker@xtr
04-28-11, 05:44 PM
Don`t think you are going to get 3 to 4 " by applying ss springs. You may get 2" from what I understand.
mike

Angry Matt
04-28-11, 08:14 PM
I'm using eibach's with factory length shocks and no issues. It dropped a lot more than I expected, and surprisingly does not bottom out at all, but I do drive cautiously.

cadillac kevin
04-28-11, 11:50 PM
2 inches is stock SS springs IIRC. 3-4 inch is SS lowering springs (eibach makes them- not sure who else).

gillianwhittaker@xtr
04-29-11, 01:52 AM
2 inches is stock SS springs IIRC. 3-4 inch is SS lowering springs (eibach makes them- not sure who else).

True -misread it
mike

steck
04-29-11, 09:55 AM
definitely doing that with my '73..the front sits entirely too high, i dont want any 'slammed' look, but i do want the 'low and slo' look !!

keep us posted with some pics...would love to see an '80 with a little drop.

btw, not to hijack, but i'm guessing the same eibach SS lowering springs that will fit the '80 will fit my '73 too ..... ?

Dvunee
04-05-12, 12:26 PM
I just lowered my 87 FWB with SS Impala lowering springs keeping the stock air shocks. We slightly bent the actuator on the air ride sensor to compensate for the new ride height. Totaly screwed it up! Air level light is on for approximatly 5 minutes upon starting....? Any suggestions on adjusting for the new ride height? I would like to keep the air ride set up the way it was intended...

jcolliga40
04-05-12, 03:06 PM
Do you have any pictures, I am curious to see what these cars would look like lowered that much. I image you sacrifice a good amount of ride quality.

Dvunee
04-05-12, 07:30 PM
The ride actually became nice and firm but still comfortable. The new springs soak up the road with little transfer to the cab. It feels better through the turns also. The air ride in the rear keeps the caddy feel but it is to high in the rear now with my posted issue. I will post a pic

Dvunee
04-05-12, 07:32 PM

Dvunee
04-05-12, 07:46 PM

Mark 78 Coupe
04-05-12, 10:32 PM
There is a company called Jamco that makes springs custom wound to the drop you want. I have posted before asking if anyone has used them, and their website lets you enter your car, and then see how it looks with either a 1,2, or3 inch drop. Sounds like a perfect idea ( I plan on using them on my 78 once someone here mentions using them).

jcolliga40
04-06-12, 10:52 AM
I like it a lot. As long as the ride quality is sacrificed I might do it myself did you get those springs from anywhere special? Or can I just order them from a parts store.