: Ok guys what are you running for timing?

Somefun
04-20-11, 10:07 PM
I just got back from the dyno and my numbers weren't that great....But I gained a good amount over the last time being there. My timming is at 18 degrees at WOT. I have no knocking at at so the ECU is not pulling anything out but is 18 degrees not enough? When we added 1 degree it went up 9hp....I'm thinking I'm low on timing. I have a 10" lower,era intake,wait4me heat exchanger,160 stat, AM full headers and cats, dynamic injector 850s, ported snout, TR6XI plugs and D3 Lid Spacer. I made 566HP and 606T....I was hoping for 600rwh. What do you think? I have 14lbs of boost....

DrumStix
04-20-11, 10:23 PM
It may be more than timing holding you back but 18 is low. What are your IATS and A/F ratio? What is the timing looking like from 4800-5200?

Somefun
04-20-11, 10:31 PM
I'm at 11.4 and I (think) it's like 19 to 20 then dropped to 18. It is making 80 more ft lbs at 2900 to 3400 which feels great but from what I've read I should be like 620rwh. This is on a Dyno jet.

Somefun
04-20-11, 10:33 PM
I have to find my Old Dyno sheet but she does feel better.... But I added a full era CAI and a 10" new injectors and a d3 lid spacer...

PremierJosh
04-20-11, 10:44 PM
Not everycar is the same but if she liked 19/20 in the mid range 18 peak is to low. Do you do your own tuning? What were your iat's? Was timing being pulled or added for IAT's?

DrumStix
04-20-11, 11:53 PM
That's a lil low. Like Josh said, what are the IATS, who's tuning and is it 91 or 93 Octane?

hemi2LS
04-21-11, 12:56 AM
hey so did you end up loosing hp? or is that a typo? your post in my thread says you made 580whp with the 9.5 before adding the ERA, 10" pulley, and Dynamics 850 injectors.. this one says 566 after the install of the new parts. I ask because as you know, you and I will be running a very similar setup, and I was getting quotes of 100hp more than what you currently have. Mines won't be done till Friday, Saturday at the latest, and I would love to compare mines with your final numbers.

Somefun
04-21-11, 06:42 AM
That's a lil low. Like Josh said, what are the IATS, who's tuning and is it 91 or 93 Octane?

Guy's I don't tune it though I wish I could. I know just enough about get me into trouble with that. I feel dumb but what are IAT's? When we went up just one degree it jumped like 9HP so I think there is more for sure. I have the check engine light coming on so I have to check that code so we can smooth that out. She runs very strong for sure and itís making 80lbs more tq mid rang and let me tell you....you can feel it. I have to find my old dyno sheet for sure cuz I thought I was at 580rwh but my tuner said the last time I was there I was 540 rwh at wot and now itís 566. But again mid-stream it is up about 50hp then drops off on the big end. I only run the car on 93 I've never put lower than that in her. Over all it has gained but when you hear guys at 600+ I'm thinking I should be there also.

newcadman
04-21-11, 07:55 AM
Guy's I don't tune it though I wish I could. I know just enough about get me into trouble with that. I feel dumb but what are IAT's?

IAT's - intake air temperature

DrumStix
04-21-11, 08:04 AM
566 is not bad for a lower and a CAI. I see a lot of 9.5" cars with others CAI's making 540-550. A 10" with this CAI could make 580, sure. I made 580 with a 9.5" and LS9 cam. PM me and I will mention a few tuning angles.

Mike TexaSS
04-21-11, 08:38 AM
Ive run 20 @ peak power on 14psi. O issues.

Just make sure your MAF is clean!!!!!!!!!!! Or BOOOOOOOOOOOOM! Powderized pistons and broken lifters!!!!

PhxTriode
04-21-11, 11:32 AM
Guy's I don't tune it though I wish I could. I know just enough about get me into trouble with that. I feel dumb but what are IAT's? When we went up just one degree it jumped like 9HP so I think there is more for sure. I have the check engine light coming on so I have to check that code so we can smooth that out. She runs very strong for sure and it’s making 80lbs more tq mid rang and let me tell you....you can feel it. I have to find my old dyno sheet for sure cuz I thought I was at 580rwh but my tuner said the last time I was there I was 540 rwh at wot and now it’s 566. But again mid-stream it is up about 50hp then drops off on the big end. I only run the car on 93 I've never put lower than that in her. Over all it has gained but when you hear guys at 600+ I'm thinking I should be there also.

You didn't mention why after adding 1 deg and saw +9 it was pulled back to 18deg. Was there knock or was the tuner being conservitive? With 91 octane crappy quallity fuel I could only get 18 deg but that was with 110* IAT2's.

BTW the New Era is very pickey down low, The MAF curve has to be smooth as silk or you will get slow switching O2 codes and MAF out of test range all of which can be tuned out. Have your tuner pay particular attention to the 2700hz-5000hz range of the MAF.

94guy
04-21-11, 02:04 PM
drumstix i sent you a pm.

Somefun
04-21-11, 02:47 PM
IAT's - intake air temperature

intake air was 115

Somefun
04-21-11, 03:06 PM
[QUOTE=PhxTriode;2569069]You didn't mention why after adding 1 deg and saw +9 it was pulled back to 18deg. Was there knock or was the tuner being conservitive? With 91 octane crappy quallity fuel I could only get 18 deg but that was with 110* IAT2's.

The tuner was going easy. I think we can increase the timing across the board a degree or two. I showed no kncking at all. I just think with the 10" lower,era cai,ported snout, Am headers and heat exchanger I'd see more.

Somefun
04-21-11, 03:07 PM
drumstix i sent you a pm.

Didn't get it yet but can't wait to hear from him on this. I have a apointment to go back to the dyno this Monday.

hemi2LS
04-21-11, 03:18 PM
Man I sure hope the best for you, and you pull some better numbers. For the sake of my sanity. I just wanted 620whp, now it looks like we will be lucky just to get 580whp.

Somefun
04-21-11, 03:35 PM
Man I sure hope the best for you, and you pull some better numbers. For the sake of my sanity. I just wanted 620whp, now it looks like we will be lucky just to get 580whp.

Yeah I don't know Hemi...I just asked the tuner to e mail me my dyno sheet so I can compare it with last years. I mean she runs real strong but everyone is saying these huge numbers so it may be I just got caught up in that top end number....every car and dyno is different so I really go by the gain from the previous numbers. And if that’s the case 80lbs is no joke....

hemi2LS
04-21-11, 03:50 PM
Yeah I don't know Hemi...I just asked the tuner to e mail me my dyno sheet so I can compare it with last years. I mean she runs real strong but everyone is saying these huge numbers so it may be I just got caught up in that top end number....every car and dyno is different so I really go by the gain from the previous numbers. And if that’s the case 80lbs is no joke....

Yeah 566 is nothing to laugh at either, but your right when we read 600 here 640 there, and what others say what we should see on the dyno. Then its hard not to be dissapointed in that aspect, but more so cause we let ourself get tunnel vision in the "numbers" game. I just decided Whatever I get I know will be happy with the feel of the new power, but I am still gonna want to hit 620 before its all said and done.

Somefun
04-21-11, 04:21 PM
Yeah 566 is nothing to laugh at either, but your right when we read 600 here 640 there, and what others say what we should see on the dyno. Then its hard not to be dissapointed in that aspect, but more so cause we let ourself get tunnel vision in the "numbers" game. I just decided Whatever I get I know will be happy with the feel of the new power, but I am still gonna want to hit 620 before its all said and done.

Yeah I hear you for sure. I have to say where I gained the torque and horse power was like 2300 to 4000. And driving it is great cuz that’s right where you spend most of the time. On the highway she’s running like 2200 and you just barley roll it on a little and she pulls like a freight train. You know that’s from the 10" lower for sure. I very rarely even come close to hitting 5,000 or more rpms on the street because your freaking honking if you do not to mention with the AM headers and cats even using the stock mufflers she is screaming like a wild animal!! LOL

DrumStix
04-21-11, 04:44 PM
I replied to your PM.

What type of dyno are you using? What is your elevation? Does this guy do many LSX cars?

Somefun
04-21-11, 05:01 PM
Drum it's a dyno jet and sea level. I don't think he's had any LSA V's. He is a good tuner and takes his time but I don't think he has a lot of time with this kind of set up. Do does a lot od vetts and mustangs.

Bookinctsv
04-21-11, 06:33 PM
I have a 10" lower,era intake,wait4me heat exchanger,160 stat, AM full headers and cats, dynamic injector 850s, ported snout, TR6XI plugs and D3 Lid Spacer. I made 566HP and 606T....I was hoping for 600rwh. What do you think? I have 14lbs of boost....
i will be running the same stuff except for the ported snout and the plugs, within 3-4weeks, i will let you know my numbers and i was expecting over 600hp at the wheels. so your numbers sort of worry me.

PremierJosh
04-21-11, 06:48 PM
You will see low end torque form boost and peak power is going to come more from the tune. There is more to it than just that but that wikll give you a decent idea. If you add 3psi you will pick up good TQ @ 3k unless something is way off but to ring out peak power thats going to be in the tune up. Its hard for me to see someone making 600+whp in a auto real numbers without at least a zr1 camshaft. If you notice guys that have a effecient setup are making noticably more horsepower than tq.

aj660
04-22-11, 02:08 AM
BTW the New Era is very pickey down low, The MAF curve has to be smooth as silk or you will get slow switching O2 codes and MAF out of test range all of which can be tuned out. Have your tuner pay particular attention to the 2700hz-5000hz range of the MAF.

I just purchased the New Era CAI and I'm going to have it installed later today. I purchased the New Era because many members were very happy with it. Is there a problem having the New Era CAI tuned properly?

Somefun
04-22-11, 11:58 AM
AJ are you getting it dynoed after the installation?

PhxTriode
04-22-11, 12:30 PM
I just purchased the New Era CAI and I'm going to have it installed later today. I purchased the New Era because many members were very happy with it. Is there a problem having the New Era CAI tuned properly?

It works awesome I love mine, it is just more particular in the idle and low speed than the others I have had on my car it isn't an issue just needs more attention.

PhxTriode
04-22-11, 12:37 PM
You will see low end torque form boost and peak power is going to come more from the tune. There is more to it than just that but that wikll give you a decent idea. If you add 3psi you will pick up good TQ @ 3k unless something is way off but to ring out peak power thats going to be in the tune up. Its hard for me to see someone making 600+whp in a auto real numbers without at least a zr1 camshaft. If you notice guys that have a effecient setup are making noticably more horsepower than tq.

To my own misfortune trying to hit over 600 without a cam or heads has led me to agree with Josh and others on the cam needing to be part of the equation for 600+

Somefun
04-22-11, 12:38 PM
It works awesome I love mine, it is just more particular in the idle and low speed than the others I have had on my car it isn't an issue just needs more attention.

So where are you on HP to the wheels? We are running pretty much the same set up. What is your timing at total?

PhxTriode
04-22-11, 01:04 PM
So where are you on HP to the wheels? We are running pretty much the same set up. What is your timing at total?

last Dyno was 550 at the wheels ( 543ftlbs with over 500ftlbs from 3100-5200rpm )with bad gas (91 octane oxygenated) total timing was 20* at 11.0 AFR (105* IAT2's) and a dipsh*t dyno opperator rolling into the throttle, I then made another run at 18* (.5* of knock) and 11.6 AFR and lost 7hp.

After this run I was positive there was something wrong with my car "it should have been 600+" after really looking at the dyno log and my scanner I found some area's for improvement and the rolling into the thottle. You have to take all varibles into consideration here like, IAT2's, not only elevation but what the DA is (SAE correction is for NA motors and especially not crank dependant boost), not just octane but the quality of the fuel, how the car was positioned on the rollers, tire pressure and how the dyno opperator drove the car on the dyno.

I found a gas station 30 miles away by accident that doesn't have oxygenated fuel and was able to stuff 3 more degrees in uptop and between 1-2 through the mid range. I have not been back to the dyno thanks to 90f days.

Mods are 9.5" lower, headers, NEP CAI, ported TB snout and blower, modified lid

Somefun
04-22-11, 01:14 PM
so then maybe I'm where I should be....Don't know. I'm going back to them on Monday to hit it with a little more timing and fuel. And then thats that. Its plenty fast now from where is was so I'm happy. I don't want to hurt the car and would rather be safe and have a little less as I plan to track it a few times a year. I talked to ECS and they said if you hit the track use 100 race fuel for sure so you don't take chances! SHit that won't be cheap! LOL

shade
04-22-11, 01:52 PM
last Dyno was 550 at the wheels ( 543ftlbs with over 500ftlbs from 3100-5200rpm )with bad gas (91 octane oxygenated) total timing was 20* at 11.0 AFR (105* IAT2's) and a dipsh*t dyno opperator rolling into the throttle, I then made another run at 18* (.5* of knock) and 11.6 AFR and lost 7hp.

After this run I was positive there was something wrong with my car "it should have been 600+" after really looking at the dyno log and my scanner I found some area's for improvement and the rolling into the thottle. You have to take all varibles into consideration here like, IAT2's, not only elevation but what the DA is (SAE correction is for NA motors and especially not crank dependant boost), not just octane but the quality of the fuel, how the car was positioned on the rollers, tire pressure and how the dyno opperator drove the car on the dyno.

I found a gas station 30 miles away by accident that doesn't have oxygenated fuel and was able to stuff 3 more degrees in uptop and between 1-2 through the mid range. I have not been back to the dyno thanks to 90f days.

Mods are 9.5" lower, headers, NEP CAI, ported TB snout and blower, modified lid

What gas station?

PhxTriode
04-22-11, 02:08 PM
Shell in Scottsdale cactus/101

aj660
04-22-11, 02:38 PM
AJ are you getting it dynoed after the installation?

Yes I will. I think it's necessary..

DrumStix
04-22-11, 11:33 PM
I know some of the Shells and Chevrons out west are much better on blown street cars. I guess their additives with the pre-oxygenated MTBE soup mixture make a difference.

Mike TexaSS
04-23-11, 10:18 AM
Ive done all my dyno testing on Shell V-power. Great stuff. Ive had customers cars show major KR when they should'nt be knocking.

Drain the fuel add v-power and the knock is gone!

DrumStix
04-23-11, 11:26 PM
Yup. Damon, is that what help sort your lack of timing out?