: 1997 Cadillac STS Seville

gejettest
04-20-11, 03:04 PM
Just a brief history of my car.
1997 STS, 126,000, bought it from next door neighbor who is the original owner.
Temp gauge went up to about 3/4 hot, he added water then took it to the dealer who did all of his servicing. They had it for about a week, then gave him the news, hydrocarbons in the cooling system. Quoted approx. $4,500, he said 'no thanks'. That is when he sold me the car, I was aware of the potential problems.
I did a compression test, then a leakdown test, showed cylinder #3 pumping into the cooling system. After reading many threads here, I gather I have the head bolt/block thread problem. Even if it was only a head gasket, knowing about the thread problem prompts me to do the thread repair/stud installation while I'm there.

My main question is my Haynes manual fails to give any teardown information for the 4.6L engine. All it says is take it to an authorized repair facility or purchase a long block, because of the expense of the teardown tooling. It goes into detail for the 4.9L but not the 4.6L which I have.

What am I in for here? Can I do it myself? I've been a jet engine mechanic for over 30 years so I'm comfortable with the mechanical side of this. I'm also currently enrolled in a local college's auto shop course. We have the 'Timesert' kit at school, so that helps.

Thanks for the help
Henry

KRSTS
04-20-11, 03:38 PM
Just a brief history of my car.
1997 STS, 126,000, bought it from next door neighbor who is the original owner.
Temp gauge went up to about 3/4 hot, he added water then took it to the dealer who did all of his servicing. They had it for about a week, then gave him the news, hydrocarbons in the cooling system. Quoted approx. $4,500, he said 'no thanks'. That is when he sold me the car, I was aware of the potential problems.
I did a compression test, then a leakdown test, showed cylinder #3 pumping into the cooling system. After reading many threads here, I gather I have the head bolt/block thread problem. Even if it was only a head gasket, knowing about the thread problem prompts me to do the thread repair/stud installation while I'm there.

My main question is my Haynes manual fails to give any teardown information for the 4.6L engine. All it says is take it to an authorized repair facility or purchase a long block, because of the expense of the teardown tooling. It goes into detail for the 4.9L but not the 4.6L which I have.

What am I in for here? Can I do it myself? I've been a jet engine mechanic for over 30 years so I'm comfortable with the mechanical side of this. I'm also currently enrolled in a local college's auto shop course. We have the 'Timesert' kit at school, so that helps.

Thanks for the help
Henry

Hpe you didn't pay more than $1K

bbjorklund99
04-20-11, 06:58 PM
Not sure about these engines but I would think you could find a mechanic who works on these things that could give you the inside scoop. I can't imagine that it can be that different from any other internal combustion engine except for the electronics. You may take some special tools to re-work the heads but I would there has to be somebody other than your local dealer that could give you that information.

Good Luck! Those are nice cars. I work with a lady that has a 1997 Eldorado and can't say enough good things about it.

chazglenn3
04-20-11, 07:31 PM
Lots of good information in the Seville forum and the Northstar forum here on the site.

turnne
04-21-11, 03:18 PM
Hpe you didn't pay more than $1K
+1

There is a lot of good information in the seville forum....unfortunately this is a pretty common issue with pre 01 Northstars

I think a lot have bought a used engine from a junkyard

That would be by far your least expensive solution...depending on how long you desire to keep the car

The $4500 from the dealer sounds reasonable...not all dealers( including my local one) will do this job

They offer the customer a rebuilt GM engine exchange

Warren

550HP STSV
04-21-11, 03:23 PM
How is this still in this forum?