: Auto Dimming Lights

bbjorklund99
04-20-11, 12:10 PM
Gentlemen,

I am new to the 06 STS I purchased and am trying to figure out how to use the auto dimming feature. It appears that I have this feature on my car because I have the on/off button and it appears to have several indicators on my mirror as well as the on-star buttons. The manual talks about pushing and holding the on/off button for 3 seconds and some indicator coming on. I am not sure what indicator they are talking about. Are they talking about the light on the on/off button or some indicator on the dash?

I can manually turn the high beams on and off with the turn lever but is sounds like the high beams should come on and go off from the standard position based on lighting conditions. I thought I had followed all the instructions but either missed a step, my car does not have this feature, or I have a malfunction.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad

chazglenn3
04-20-11, 05:59 PM
The indicator is the left LED on the mirror. Run your VIN at http://www.compnine.com/vid.php and you will see all the options installed on your car. I think Intellibeam requires HID headlights.

chagrin falls
04-20-11, 06:30 PM
If you have a small "black box" between the windshield and rearview mirror you have intellibeam. Check your owners manual for operation/adjustment. If your car was delivered without the owners manual pick one up on eBay or contact Helms, Inc.

bbjorklund99
04-20-11, 06:50 PM
Thanks guys! It looks like I have the option:

TQ5 CONTROL INTELLIGENT HIGH BEAM INTELLIGENT HIGH BEAM CONTROL(TQ5)

I am guessing this is the code. With the car having basically every option available except AWD, Adaptive CC, and HUD I would have been surprised if it didn't have the intellibeam feature.

I will see if I can figure it out.

Brad

KRSTS
04-20-11, 07:51 PM
My 2008 has the small black box but does not have intellibeam. I believe the box is for the rainsense wipers.

PETE314
04-20-11, 09:22 PM
The sensor for the Intellibeam is actually in the rearview mirror itself...(the side facing the road.) I do know the large box everyone else is speaking of is a part of the rain sensing....whether or not the Intellibeam also runs through there I do not know. Concerning turning the system on and off..... I am not quite so sure about the holding for 3 seconds. I believe I was able to just turn mine on and off with the button on the mirror. I have see it work and notice that streetlights as well as the reflections from street signs can turn the hibeams off....So if you travel a lot in suburban areas where there are a lot of streetlights or even on a highway with streetlights...you won't see the high beams come on. If you have the HUD you will see the blue Hi beam symbol come on when your hi beams come up and disappear when there is too much light coming in your direction and the low beams take priority. The same thing with the dash. All in all I like it although it was a little strange at first to get used to and you wondered if it would turn the lights down in time for a passing car....But it works.....

EChas3
04-20-11, 09:34 PM
My 2008 has the small black box but does not have intellibeam. I believe the box is for the rainsense wipers.

The Rainsense Wiper sensor you are referencing is to the right of the mirror. In 2006, the Intellibeam sensor box is a bit bigger than the size of a 'D' cell battery.

chagrin falls
04-20-11, 09:40 PM
OK! I'll say both sensors are behind the rearview mirror! Anyhow, after purchasing a CTS I was really disappointed that Intellibeam was not available. It is really a cool feature and would never miss a beat!

bbjorklund99
04-20-11, 11:20 PM
Thanks guys! I suspect part of my problem might be that I haven't been out from under the street lights so that could have a lot to do with why it does not seem to work. Once i get a chance to get it out in the dark I suspect it will work as designed.

Brad

ddalder
04-20-11, 11:39 PM
The system is fairly intelligent and ignores light it doesn't sense as taillights or headlights. You need to remember that it will only function when the car is travelling at or above 20MPH. During acceleration, it will gradually increase the intensity of the high beams. Full intensity isn't achieved until you reach 25 MPH. When decelerating, it will completely shut the high beams down at 15 MPH.

As for turning it on and off, mine seems to be a simple button press. The manual says to press the button to activate it but then to press and hold it for 3 seconds to deactivate it, if it is active. I've never had to do this though and mine seems to work great. There is a demonstration mode that can be started (lasts about 45 seconds) by pressing and holding the button for about 8 seconds. For some reason, the service manual states to only use demonstration mode during the day... No idea why.

bbjorklund99
04-21-11, 10:36 AM
Thanks DDalder! I will do some playing some night after dark and see if I can figure this out. When using this feature is on do you push the lever forward or does it stay in the dim position? It sounded like you leave the bright/dim lever alone and it does everything automatically for you but some of the material in the manual could be explained a little clearer.

ddalder
04-21-11, 11:15 AM
The headlight switch should always be in the low-beam position when using IntelliBeam. The system overrides this by controlling the appropriate relay under the hood. If it's in the high-beam position, you will always have high-beams.

To add a little clarity about the mirror, there are several sensors in/attached to it. There is an ambient light sensor inside the mirror itself facing forward. This sensor is used to tell the mirror when it's nighttime. If the mirror determines it's night, it uses another sensor behind the mirror glass (facing rearward) to monitor for headlights behind you and adjusts the the dimming of the mirror accordingly. The IntelliBeam module is not part of the basic mirror housing, but is attached as part of the mirror assembly. It is plastic square/rectangle roughly a 2-3 inches LxWxH. It will have a small clear window facing forward to sense other vehicles lights. The RainSense module is actually attached to the windshield only. It will be off slightly toward the passenger side of the car mounted near the top of the glass. It will be somewhat oval/rectangular in shape. In 2008+ cars, there may also be a camera mounted on the windshield. Again, this has nothing to do with the IntelliBeam. This camera (if present) is for the lane departure warning system. In vehicles with this option, the plastic cover is about 4"x5"x1". The camera is mounted in the plastic cover (attached to the glass by a stick-on plastic base). This camera assembly also covers the RainSense module so it will all be in one neat/tidy enclosure.

bbjorklund99
04-21-11, 12:20 PM
Wow, I appreciate all the information! You definitely understand the workings of the systems. The wipers are one of the coolest things I have ever seen. I love the fact that it know how fast to run them. Never had a car with all the intelligence of these Cadillac's. I can see why everyone is so passionate about their cars. I learn something new every week.

Thanks again, this is very helpful information.

Brad

Midnight
04-21-11, 04:00 PM
I have the auto-dimming lights and they used to work, but the last few times I've tried they wouldn't... I was well over the minimum speed and it was dark enough. I need to get in and see if there's a blown fuse or something.

Mostly I'm posting to say that my manual is completely wrong about everything to do with the rear view mirror and buttons there. It talks about buttons that don't exist, or look differently than described, and functionality that is just plain wrong - perhaps they switched the design of that area at some point before or after my car was built.

ddalder
04-21-11, 10:06 PM
I have the auto-dimming lights and they used to work, but the last few times I've tried they wouldn't... I was well over the minimum speed and it was dark enough. I need to get in and see if there's a blown fuse or something.
The mirror directly controls an automatic headlamp dimming relay located under the hood. Dimming is acheived by way of a pulse width modulated signal to the relay. There is also a 15A "Smart Beam" fuse in the underhood fuse block which is where I would start. There is of course a possibility that the mirror is faulty as well, but IMO this would be the last component I'd be looking at.

EChas3
04-21-11, 10:17 PM

Mostly I'm posting to say that my manual is completely wrong about everything to do with the rear view mirror and buttons there. It talks about buttons that don't exist, or look differently than described, and functionality that is just plain wrong - perhaps they switched the design of that area at some point before or after my car was built.

Different mirrors are installed with differently equipped cars. That's why the manual so often uses the term 'if equipped'.

Midnight
04-22-11, 04:12 AM
The mirror directly controls an automatic headlamp dimming relay located under the hood. Dimming is acheived by way of a pulse width modulated signal to the relay. There is also a 15A "Smart Beam" fuse in the underhood fuse block which is where I would start. There is of course a possibility that the mirror is faulty as well, but IMO this would be the last component I'd be looking at.

Thanks, very helpful, and encouraging that there's a few parts that I can check out.

Cadillac_STS
04-23-11, 04:31 AM
The sensor for the Intellibeam is actually in the rearview mirror itself...(the side facing the road.) I do know the large box everyone else is speaking of is a part of the rain sensing.........

The sensor is seperate from the rear view mirror. There are 2 black boxes. One which is stuck to the windshield (round on one side) and the other larger sensor which looks like a large web camera is the sensor for IntelliBeam. Howver, you can control the system from the Rearview camera using the left button with the hig beam icon and the word "Auto =D" on it

XTSman
04-26-11, 11:47 AM

...In my case, the mirror was faulty. I and the dealer troubleshooted every possible fault. Dealer analysis called for new mirror. Problem solved. Works great. I am actually quite impressed with how well the auto-dimming feature works. Didn't know what I was missing.

chazglenn3
04-26-11, 02:39 PM
I'm pretty impressed with the way it works myself. MUCH better than the system they employed in the 1983 Eldorado I once owned...that was a joke along with the V8-6-4 engine...

Greg00coupe
04-26-11, 07:53 PM
I could be wrong......not the first time but I thought that the system defaulted to the intelebeams on every start cycle and the button was only to turn them off????

EChas3
04-26-11, 09:41 PM
I could be wrong......not the first time but I thought that the system defaulted to the intelebeams on every start cycle and the button was only to turn them off????

My stays on when on and off when off.

ddalder
04-26-11, 10:42 PM
...In my case, the mirror was faulty. I and the dealer troubleshooted every possible fault. Dealer analysis called for new mirror. Problem solved. Works great. I am actually quite impressed with how well the auto-dimming feature works. Didn't know what I was missing.
Undoubtedly the mirror control circuit can fail, it just isn't a common occurrance when compared with some of the other options. The current passing through dimming relay will be much more substantial and it's typically higher current devices that tend to fail moreso than strictly a logic circuit. Obviously good that you got it fixed. Hopefully it was warranty because those mirrors are not cheap.

ddalder
04-26-11, 10:43 PM
Mine remains in the last state I selected.

PETE314
04-30-11, 10:39 AM
I thought the cameras for lane departure were in the side view mirrors. At least they are in mine. Did they change this for other years? Or is it in addition to the one on the windshield?

PETE314
04-30-11, 10:41 AM
The sensor is seperate from the rear view mirror. There are 2 black boxes. One which is stuck to the windshield (round on one side) and the other larger sensor which looks like a large web camera is the sensor for IntelliBeam. Howver, you can control the system from the Rearview camera using the left button with the hig beam icon and the word "Auto =D" on it

Thanks for the clarification!!!

ddalder
04-30-11, 01:49 PM
I thought the cameras for lane departure were in the side view mirrors. At least they are in mine. Did they change this for other years? Or is it in addition to the one on the windshield?
No, there is only one camera (at least in the GM's) and it has never been in the outside mirrors. This is a common assumption many people have based on how they believe the system may work. The only sensors built into the outside mirrors are to determine the position of the mirror glass relative to the adjuster.

From the Service Manual:

"Vehicle direction alert alarm warning (VDAAW) is a convenience feature that issues a warning when the system detects that the vehicle has unintentionally crossed a lane marking. The VDAAW lane sense function utilizes imagery collected by the camera to detect lane markings."

and

"The VDAAW module is mounted on the front windshield and uses a forward facing camera to determine lane markings. It is important that the windshield in front of the camera remain clean. Fog on the windshield or the camera lens may inhibit proper operation."

You might be thinking of the SBZA (Side Blind Zone Alert) system. The indicators are in the mirrors, but the sensors for this are in the rear of the car on each side. This is entirely independent from lane departure warning.