: Re-learn shift points on a 2005 STS V6 when new battery gets installed ?

mbnv992
04-19-11, 09:02 PM
Ok, I probably answered my own question on this one, but, a few days ago the battery went dead on our 2005 STS V6. Went to AutoZone, and had a new battery put in. Car started right up again, and off we went. Today all of a sudden the car starts "bucking", like it doesn't know where to shift.

I remember back when I had my (infamous / terrible) 6.0L Ford Diesel trucks, everytime you would unplug the battery / install a new battery, the truck would have to "re-learn" it's shift points. Is this also true with these cars as well, or is the transmission on it's way out ?

The car has 115,000 miles on it, and was on the orignal battery. Now with the new battery, I would just assume the bucking in the transmission when climbing gears is just the cars way of learning the shifting patterns all over again.

Anyone else out there change thier battery out to a new one, and have the transmission "buck" ?

turnne
04-21-11, 03:19 PM
I didn't have this issue when I changed the battery on my V8

Warren

mbnv992
04-21-11, 10:34 PM
Well, we took it to the dealer again today. Turns out that the car had NO OIL IN IT !!! Last time it was changed is when we got the car two months ago (and they DID reset the oil change message in the DIC to 100%, which at least to me, indicated that they did an oil change at the time). We've driven the car no more than 2,000 miles since we bought it, so I have no idea how else it could have sucked down all that oil, unless they NEVER CHANGED it to begin with.

Anyway, now that she had a fresh oil change, it runs like a top again.

EChas3
04-21-11, 11:21 PM
2005 & up Northstars don't usually have the same oil use issues as earlier models. They will run poorly if down more than a quart, BUT THEY HOLD 8 QUARTS! Did you never see an oil light?

I that dealer may owe you an engine.

Hold it. The thread title says V6 and your avatar legend says you drive a 2007 V8... What is it?

The V6's have a known issue with oil use. 1 quart per thousand miles isn't that unusual.

mbnv992
04-22-11, 12:44 AM
Chas -

Sorry about that, I really need to change my car in the Sig. The car in question is my mom's 2005 V6. Before she bought it to the dealer, the car was making very strange sounds from the engine area (sounded like a coffee machine percolating). No oil light ever came on, and NO info in the DIC flashed. Very odd.

Midnight
04-22-11, 04:19 AM
> 1 quart per thousand miles isn't that unusual.

Wow.

That's really a lot of oil. I almost always check it when refueling but I can't imagine having to add 2+ gallons of oil in between oil changes. You almost wouldn't even need to do an oil change at all at that rate! :)

EChas3
04-22-11, 08:38 PM
I think it's bad, too. But it wouldn't be the first, by any means.

amgqmp1
04-23-11, 01:09 PM
I just changed the battery in my 2005 V8 RWD and it also seems to have gone shift stupid. However, you've inspired me to go check the dipstick, although I change my own oil and I'm @ 30,500 miles. :-)

mbnv992
04-23-11, 08:52 PM
Well, it's good that at least this post has made you check the oil :) :)

Ya, that was the LAST thing I thought of lol. I thought it was the transmission (going south, since it does have high millage), or just the new battery re-leaning it's shift points. NEVER would have thought that it had NO OIL lol

What I also found strange, was no oil light went off ??? The tec at the dealership said there was NO oil at ALL in the engine, and it was practically running on air, but yet the oil light never went off ?

Big Boy
04-24-11, 01:37 AM
I found that the V6 uses oil also and the low oil light doesn't light up with a low oil level. It started running rough on the highway and for some reason I checked the oil level and it didn't show anything. Made it to the nearest place to buy oil and had to put 3 quarts in to bring it up to full. Now I usually check level at every fill up or at least every other fill up.
Also when I had new battery installed it did not effect the trans at all.

8323matt
04-27-11, 05:50 PM
You know when I changed my battery last year I do recall it shifting pattern being out of wack for a while, after that it shifted fine. Has the car had a transmission flush? I am not at 100k but early maintainance never hurts :)