: A/C Question

renegaderob18
04-19-11, 07:40 PM
I have an A/C leak somewhere, just not sure where. Last summer the a/c worked fine and got ice cold and stayed that way. I have not used it for about 3-4 months at all and when I went to use it today(94 degrees outside) and it just blew warm air while I had the temp set at 60 inside. Anyway I saw at wal mart and part stores that they have super seal which is to seal everything from plastic to metal or whatever may be leaking. It's like 20 or 25 bucks? Does anyone think this will work and worth the money or any other ideas?

jayoldschool
04-19-11, 09:22 PM
DO NOT PUT LEAK SEALER IN YOUR AC! Ever. Never ever.

Let's find the leak. First check: the AC that touches the passenger side upper A arm on the suspension. The hose rubs on the A arm, and it wears a hole. You can feel the bottom of the hose from under the hood, or through the wheelwell. Bet you find a groove.

renegaderob18
04-19-11, 10:24 PM
Might be a syupid question, but what is the a arm? Any more help would be great. I've never really messed with any a/c except to charge it.

jayoldschool
04-19-11, 10:57 PM
Open your hood. Look at the passenger side inner fender. Follow that down to the frame. See that suspension part? That is the upper A arm. It is made of stamped sheetmetal, and it rubs a hole in the AC line when the suspension moves up and down.

Your AC compressor is under the alternator. Grab the lines coming out, and slide your hand along them. Pay attention when you get to the part that rubs on the A arm.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/4/477/3021/38691510004_large.jpg

renegaderob18
04-21-11, 05:36 PM
Since It's not good to put sealer in the ac is it safe to put the dye leak in it to find the leak? If i do that should I also put in the oil/ recharge combo in it in case it is low on oil or what is best to do to find the leak since I followed the lines and found nothing?

jayoldschool
04-21-11, 07:12 PM
Buy a can of 134a with the dye in it, with the gauge. Fill up the system, and see what you find.