: 2008 STS V6DI complete review

mannyurrego
04-19-11, 03:23 PM
This is why im really concern about purchased this car.

2008 Cadillac STS V6 Review
By Sajeev Mehta on September 19, 2008

History records an era when a Cadillac was a no-compromise choice for well-heeled individuals seeking perfection. I remember the original import-fighting Seville’s refreshing blend of global proportions with acres of unabashed Cadillac style. What followed—neglect and shameless down market downplays– left Cadillac oblivious to its former “Standard of the World” designation. So it’s no surprise that the latest STS, nee Seville, doesn’t deserve to wear the crested wreath.

The STS’s new grill evokes images of a polyester-clad used car salesman’s teeth-laden, insincere smile. The afterthought fender venti-ports are his suit. Other than that, there’s nothing memorable about the top-drawer Caddy’s sheetmetal. Sure, the watered-down cues from the last-gen CTS make for a handsome shape. But where the old CTS was a shot of Jägermeister to Johnny Walker entry-level luxo sedans, the STS’ conservative contours are a lukewarm bottle of piss.

In fact, the STS’ down market styling influences bring to mind of another silent reminder of GM’s ham-fisted product planning: the Oldsmobile Aurora. Both top-flight sedans paved the way for a new generation of American luxury. But the uber-Olds got a po-faced Alero makeover. Which nobody bought. Ditto the STS, without the plastic surgeon’s scalpel.

For all of GM’s talk of world-class interiors, the new-for-‘08 STS still has the shittiest cabin in its class. The vent registers’ flimsy actions are worthy of Aveo real estate. The console, while positively Malibuian, fails to coddle like the padded, stitched panels on the Lexus GS. The only touch-point more pedestrian than the door panel’s northern hemisphere: the hard plastic that envelops the gauge cluster, forcing the driver to make skin contact with Lumina-grade goodness with each activation of the keyless ignition system. This is a forty-five thousand dollar luxury car?

The STS’ leather looks, feels and smells worthy of the under-20k compact crowd. Even worse, front passengers get a flashback to the compromised floor pan of yesteryear’s Camaro: the bloated transmission tunnel pinches foot space and adds claustrophobia to an otherwise inhospitable atmos. If the sensory disappointments haven’t set a nail in the STS’ coffin, the flat and flaccid BOSE audio numbs your ears with eight over-hyped, underperforming drivers. Let’s be clear: if this Caddy’s interior could talk, it’d win TTAC’s Bob Lutz award.

Thankfully the STS’ respectable underpinnings hail from the GM sigma platform, which made the CTS an American hero. Too bad the dynamic dyslexia turns this platform’s inherent “FTW” attitude into a “WTF” blend of compromises. In true Detroit fashion that means the ride isn’t half bad for a sports sedan wannabe. The cruise is plush and confident, without the mack-daddy purpose of its DTS cousin. Pavement joints, potholes and parking lot speed bumps never stand a chance.

Which leads to the inevitable trade-off. Feed the STS a corner and you’re done; inescapable understeer and prodigious body roll are your partners in stupidity. The saving grace is a fairly neutral rear wheel-drive orientation– that feels like a milquetoast E-Class Merc at anything less than 8/10ths. Our tester’s all-wheel-drive added tenacious grip; white loafer-wearing snow birds will be thrilled.

The compromised Caddy gets worse under the hood. The STS’ standard-issue 3.6-liter V6 is hot for its direct-injected torque peak (at a sky-high 5200rpm). In other words, the engine creates a brand and model-dishonest torque curve; wafters needs not apply. Thankfully, the six-pot delivers the power in a strictly linear fashion. Miserably, the six-speed autobox’s oddly spaced one-two gear interrupts the smooth and righteous application of power.

Add this bewildered forward propulsion to the mixed bag suspension and you get an anticlimactic blend of an attention-seeking engine and buzz-killing corner-scrub. Much like the CTS, the STS needs the real American spirit generated by the small-block V8s found in far cheaper GM sedans.

In fairness, the STS has an impressive options list to compensate. The model offers everything from Magnaride dampeners, to a locking rear differential, to flashy Brembo stoppers. Some require the (sorely needed) Northstar V8 and a serious chunk of change. Or perhaps the supercharged STS V-series for a cool eighty grand? Didn’t think so.

On paper, the STS matches the imports at many hotly-contested price points. There’s the GS350-alternative discussed here, and an AMG E-class fighter up top. But the cheap bones of the STS V6 prove that this Caddy is out of its league, minor or major.

Rumor has it that RenCen is resolute: Caddy’s future lies downmarket. The STS is on deathwatch– making way for a hungry rookie with a soulful V8. The Hyundai Genesis could well be the STS re-incarnate, ready to punch the luxo-sedan market in the solar plexus. In theory, the STS coulda been a contender. But reality sucks, and the Cadillac STS’s irrelevance hits home at first glance. So if it’s on the chopping block, good riddance to bad rubbish.

KRSTS
04-19-11, 04:53 PM
And you are going to believe evrything Sajeev Mehta:lies: writes?

02603sec
04-19-11, 06:03 PM
sanjay is negotiating, but good for me, because I'm in the market, and I like to buy in the 2-4 year depreciation market. There is no better deal for a cruiser then the STS. My 05 v8 STS is the other side of the tracks from the blue bloods that drive the latest from germany and japan. Lot of moms driving escalades around talking on cell phones tailgating all the way to the grocery store. The STS has it's best value from 30k to 100k. compare cost permile to the BMW 5 8cyl. Or the MB, Lexus. you cant beat it. I am one that needs a RWD V8, so Caddy will lose me with 2011. too bad.

EChas3
04-19-11, 09:47 PM
Opinions vary. I love my STS.

I bought it for 1/3 MSRP at 38,00 miles & 3-years old - $22k. CPO provided bumper-to-bumper coverage (including battery & bulbs) for 3 more years & to 100,000 miles. N*, AWD, Nav, ACC, MRC, 18" wheels; every toy available except factory block heater!

chazglenn3
04-19-11, 09:59 PM
I love mine too, but like the previous posters, it has to be a V8!

mannyurrego
04-20-11, 11:21 AM
the think is this I'm familiar with Germans cars, this is in my past list.
2006 Infinity FX35 Great car but service to expensive,
2007 328I too slow, poor interior, peeling so much parts,
2007 530I manual Trans. tooo slow even with MT and the quality building materials (interior) its so poor,peeling so much plastic pasts.
MB c-230 2006 sport, great quality ride, in-out great, i sold it because of the expired factory warranty, and the final my 2008 V6 STS with 20.000 miles... the think is I like very much this car, in and out, I just want to believe that is not going to be a wrong decision, this is my fort try with the American brands and hopefully is going to be an easy experience...will see.

bbjorklund99
04-20-11, 12:51 PM
I do not understand all the negativity comments about the V6 STS. I love my V6 STS and have no buyer remorse on purchasing this car. It has good low end and passing other cars at 60mph is a breeze. It is a whole second slower than the V8 from 0-60. That is a car length or two. If bragging rights were important to me or I was going to race the car on weekends I might think differently. Based on how I drive my car I don't know what I would gain by having the V8. The V6 runs on regular gas and adequately moves the car down the road in all conditions. I personally would not like to be paying for premium gas in today's market. Of course it is personal preferences and everybody has different priorities. I just think this topic has been overblown by people that have probably never even driven a V6 STS.

KRSTS
04-20-11, 12:59 PM
I do not understand all the negativity comments about the V6 STS. I love my V6 STS and have no buyer remorse on purchasing this car. It has good low end and passing other cars at 60mph is a breeze. It is a whole second slower than the V8 from 0-60. That is a car length or two. If bragging rights were important to me or I was going to race the car on weekends I might think differently. Based on how I drive my car I don't know what I would gain by having the V8. The V6 runs on regular gas and adequately moves the car down the road in all conditions. I personally would not like to be paying for premium gas in today's market. Of course it is personal preferences and everybody has different priorities. I just think this topic has been overblown by people that have probably never even driven a V6 STS.

My sentiments exactly

madmanmogan
04-20-11, 02:25 PM
I second that I love my V6. It would be nice to have the 8 and id love the HUD but I still love my car. And im amazed at the comments I get on it, just this morning a lady told me she loves it. Hell I have a gate guard that tells me to let him know the second I want to sell it. Which I thought about because I have no warranty. A 3yr extended from warranty direct was 4700 dont think so Id be better off putting that money into a bank account and just waiting. I havent heard of many people with a warranty repairs being that much. Plus only drive the car <7.5k a year. One day ill get a STS-V but till then ill keep the 6.

Loren
04-20-11, 03:48 PM
I'll have to say I disagree with nearly everything this Metha guy wrote. In my opinion he is either an outright liar, badly misinformed, or has never even been within touching distance of an 08 STS V6. I've had mine since January 09 and other than a couple of problems and lousy dealer customer service I think it's a great car. I've owned a lot of great cars in the past, among them, a 39 Plymouth 4 dr,a 56 Chev Bel Air 2 dr ht, two Porsches, a 924 and a 944, a 66 GTO, a 68 Dodge Charger R/T 440 Magnum, a 72 GMC Jimmy Custom, which I still own, a 1990 Honda Accord, an 03 Merc Grand Marquis LS, an 03 Yukon, which I still have, and the 08 STS. I've had my share of problems with most of them, so I'm not going to knock the STS for the few I've had with it. That little 220 CI engine is fantastic for it's size, he puts it against the 4.6 ltr V8 for performance, bull$hit, the 0-60 difference is about 1 second, I know it'll do more that 100, and easily too, I've been there. It corners like a Porsche, no body sway, no understeer, it dives into a turn and hangs there nice and tight,just great handling. I also think the Bose radio system is great too when properly adjusted for me. For the money I do think the console could have a little more wood or whatever, but then I"m not a lover of stainless steel, or brushed aluminum, whatever it is.
I think what you need to do is call a few auto rental companies, find one that rents the STS, probably will be a 2010 at the oldest by now, and take one for a ride for a day and put it thru it's paces, or convince a used car dealer to let you do it. Don't listen to these so called authorities who make their living getting paid to write articles. Who made him an authority anyway? In my opinion he is nuts. But then I may have a very unusual STS.
http://www.edmunds.com/cadillac/sts/2008/#fullreview another opinion.

bbjorklund99
04-20-11, 06:30 PM
Sometimes it makes you wonder if guys like this show up just to stir the pot. I don't know what car he drove but it certainly is not the one I own. Like anything there are always things that could be improved with any vehicle including BMW, Benz, Lexus, Lincoln, etc. I can truly say there are very few things I don't like about the STS. I have not owned mine long enough to give you a report on the reliability but I don't expect it to be any worse than any other modern day car. I bought a used Yukon a few years ago that was supposed to be a mechanical nightmare according to the experts. I put almost a 100,000 miles on it and could count on one hand the times it was in the shop other than being serviced. I had to replace the gauge cluster and the service 4WD sensor went bad. Other than that I can't remember anything other than maintenance items. The vehicle was solid. If the STS is half as good as that vehicle a will be a happy guy.

chazglenn3
04-20-11, 06:53 PM
The V6 runs on regular gas and adequately moves the car down the road in all conditions. I personally would not like to be paying for premium gas in today's market.

The V8 also runs on regular gas, and mine has been every day since the price went over $3.50 per gallon. However, if you want the maximum performance out of the engine, then premium gas will get that for you. There is just a different feel and sound between the V6 and V8 cars. I never said the V6 wasn't adequate, just that I have to have a V8. I've been that way since my '79 Trans Am.

bbjorklund99
04-20-11, 07:09 PM
Chazglenn3,

My response was directed at Mr. Metha and others on this board that rip on the 3.6 like it is a redhead step child and should be avoided at all cost. I am sure the V8 gives you some added boost and is fun to drive. I grew up with the muscle cars of the 70's. There is no question the V8 Trans Am's was fun to drive. My point was that the V6 is not under powered and actually pulls pretty darn strong. I had a Chrysler 300m before I bought the Caddy and I always thought is was strong for a V6. The STS feels even stronger than the 300m.

chazglenn3
04-20-11, 07:33 PM
You are right, I need to take one of the new DI V6 cars for a test drive. I did drive a pre-DI V6 and I was very disappointed.

KRSTS
04-20-11, 07:57 PM
You are right, I need to take one of the new DI V6 cars for a test drive. I did drive a pre-DI V6 and I was very disappointed.
You will be impressed by the performance of the 302HP DI V6. I always had V8s and I understand why many prefer them, but I am getting 28-29 MPG on the higway and 21MPG overall and have plenty of power for my style of driving which is agressive. Only thing lacking is the sound, which I can live without.

EChas3
04-20-11, 09:22 PM

Agreed!

Platinum06
04-21-11, 07:56 AM
I drove the 6 and thought it was fine but the 8 is where i thought it was weak. Could use more punch in that N*.
I bought it anyway but wish it had about 10% more. That review is bullshit.

mannyurrego
04-21-11, 11:20 AM
i have to agreed with the real people....the real customer that use this car every day... i like it and i think in and out is a perfect balance, oviusly i would like to have the full package but im happy with waht i have, thank you guys for all the inputs.

turnne
04-21-11, 11:25 AM
sanjay is negotiating, but good for me, because I'm in the market, and I like to buy in the 2-4 year depreciation market. There is no better deal for a cruiser then the STS. My 05 v8 STS is the other side of the tracks from the blue bloods that drive the latest from germany and japan. The STS has it's best value from 30k to 100k. compare cost permile to the BMW 5 8cyl. Or the MB, Lexus. you cant beat it. I am one that needs a RWD V8, so Caddy will lose me with 2011. too bad.

You summed that up pretty well

Its in a different class from those cars and much less expensive used
However...its a heck of an expensive car to buy new...based on the value you will lose in the first 2 years

On another note...those "blue bloods" as you say...they are not considering buying an STS..new or used
I think its a completely different customer these days

That review is pretty harsh
Though some of the items he mentioned...such as the door panel quality..I have thought were out of place as well in a car costing this much and more in place in a Malibu priced car
I think the prior body style had more "quality" built into its interior

That being said..I still have no issue with the car for its used car value...so I guess the market really sets what they think the car is worth

As for the V6 to V8 discussion
I have never driven a V6 model...so I can't really speak to personal experience

I bought a V8 solely for the equipment level that you could get with it

But as the end of the day I can't really say I would have cared if my car had had a V6...its level of equipment was what was important

Warren