: fumes from outside!

evois
04-18-11, 11:10 PM
do you guys still smell fumes when following diesel trucks even if the vent is closed?:hmm:

Noob
04-19-11, 02:03 AM
I can smell outside air even with the ac on recirculate

hcvone
04-19-11, 07:27 AM
If it makes you feel better I was behind a bus yesterday in my SL65 and smelled diesel, there is some air filtering into the cabin in any car/truck, if not you would not be able to close the doors. :)

evois
04-19-11, 10:59 AM
anyways, I posted this because I think GM must have forgotten to do one thing in the assembly line. There is a hole in the engine bay's firewall on the passenger side, about 1 1/2 inch(38.1 cm) near the 2nd battery compartment. I noticed that after putting tape on it temprarily, I would follow those diesel trucks and would not smell a thing anymore. hence, I ordered a floor pan rubber plug(about $4.00) and it is the same size. according to the parts manager, it is also unplugged in all the escalade in the dealer's lot when he checked it out. are your escalade missing a firewall plug in the location I mentioned?

hcvone
04-19-11, 01:01 PM
anyways, I posted this because I think GM must have forgotten to do one thing in the assembly line. There is a hole in the engine bay's firewall on the passenger side, about 1 1/2 inch(38.1 cm) near the 2nd battery compartment. I noticed that after putting tape on it temprarily, I would follow those diesel trucks and would not smell a thing anymore. hence, I ordered a floor pan rubber plug(about $4.00) and it is the same size. according to the parts manager, it is also unplugged in all the escalade in the dealer's lot when he checked it out. are your escalade missing a firewall plug in the location I mentioned?

If we are talking about the same thing the hole really does not block anything, it's probably for use on a diesel or other GM truck, there is a gap to the firewall behind that bracket that has the hole in it, at least on both of my 10's, I dropped a mini camera in there. If putting tape over that made a difference you may have another issue where the heater hose and ac come thru the firewall, and it may not be sealed well enough, I have even seen critters chew the insulation thru and this has caused exhaust smell

hannity
04-19-11, 03:13 PM
do you guys still smell fumes when following diesel trucks even if the vent is closed?:hmm:

Hey don't get bad information, GM in their infinite wisdom and profit only mindset. Saw fit to not include in cabin air filters in our 60 and 80 thousand dollar trucks. That is why you can smell any and all exhaust from outside. Simple things like an air filter, not to mention intelligent key that are standard on a base model 12,000.00 Nissan Sentra, we can't get in our luxury trucks. GM is a trip I tell you.

evois
04-20-11, 12:40 AM
If we are talking about the same thing the hole really does not block anything, it's probably for use on a diesel or other GM truck, there is a gap to the firewall behind that bracket that has the hole in it, at least on both of my 10's, I dropped a mini camera in there. If putting tape over that made a difference you may have another issue where the heater hose and ac come thru the firewall, and it may not be sealed well enough, I have even seen critters chew the insulation thru and this has caused exhaust smell

I checked all of that(A/C and heater) and they were all intact. the actuator of the vent to recirc was also replaced even if it was still working to solve the problem but it still persisted until this weekend when I saw that hole and taped over it. try it guys and you will not smell outside road odors anymore:)

skierjp
04-20-11, 11:45 AM
I read this at 5 AM this morning and went out to the garage to have a look. Sure enough just as you said. I put tape over it and can't wait to try it out. The recycle air in my 2011 is useless. I hope this fixes it.

evois
04-21-11, 12:06 AM
I read this at 5 AM this morning and went out to the garage to have a look. Sure enough just as you said. I put tape over it and can't wait to try it out. The recycle air in my 2011 is useless. I hope this fixes it.

and....? what is the verdict?

skierjp
04-22-11, 05:13 AM
So Far so good. It seems like it worked. I'll find out more this weekend.

Uggghhh Love bugs are here ( Florida)

evois
04-22-11, 09:41 AM
So Far so good. It seems like it worked. I'll find out more this weekend.

Uggghhh Love bugs are here ( Florida)

I was finally able to use the prestone bugwash windshield cleaner. before, using it gives me headaches because of the non-working recirc. tried it this morning it was okay!