: rear pads..ceramic or not

eldoedwardo
04-18-11, 06:16 PM
Hey everyone...I'm going to change rear stick-tights soon and was wondering what the scoop was on the different materials in pads. This time I'm going to use the old rotors.I bought new front ones couple years back(lifetime warranty style) with pads and have about 10-15k left at least on them.. I'd like to bring all four up to lifetime standards about the same time. Do you guys think this is a good move or should I do rear lifetime now? thanks Ed

johnny kannapo
04-23-11, 10:01 PM
Ceramic is the marketed "new wave" in brake pads. I think they suck.

IMO ceramic is a sad comparison to a quality carbon metallic for brake performance.

Submariner409
04-23-11, 10:31 PM
Many, many vehicles use either ceramic or semi-metallic brake pad material. Both applications have merit. "Ceramic" is not your average dinner plate and semi-metallic is not "steel". "Ceramic" pads have been around since the early 60's, as has other materials.

Regardless, ALWAYS use the same brand of rotors on all 4 corners, and ALWAYS use the same brand and material pads on all 4 corners. You can NOT obtain a balanced braking system unless all 4 wheels "see" the same braking conditions created by equal pad and rotor materials.

Glock3540
05-11-11, 05:26 PM
I put top of the line Monroe ceramic pads on my car.
The stopping power is very good but cannot honestly say it is that much better
than any other pad types.
I mainly did it to cut down on disc brake dust on the wheels but this is not much
better either.
IMHO, I think they are top quality pads but again, any better than the "best" in the other
materials?...., Not So Sure.....

purelux
07-27-11, 03:53 AM
Remenber cermaic is a type not a brand so a $15 no name ceramic is not the same as a say $75 set of EBC pads. I believe the 2000+ cadi's come stock with ceramic pads. There are all different mixes of materials when they make the pads regardless of type. As well as how its attached to the backing, dampning etc... So definatly take a look around check out reviews before making a decision.

Submariner409
07-30-11, 10:22 AM
I put these on the 2002 STS 2.5 months ago. Deliriously happy camper. Incredible brakes.

EBC Black Dash rotors and the new compound Redstuff ceramic pads (after 1,000 mile breakin and cleanup, no dust.)

Click each thumbnail to enlarge.