: We don't have factory alarms on these cars????

luv my V
04-17-11, 06:27 PM
I went to check on how the alarm sounds on these cars and I don't think mine has one! Anyone else? I checked this by this procedure: Roll the drivers window down, walk away and let it the car honk and lights flash and doors lock automaticly via remote fob as I never ever touch the fob since it just stays in my pocket. Then I take the fob and put it down away from the car, walk up to the car, reach in and open the door from inside the car and nothing happens!! On my BMW the alarm would go off if I did the same thing. So do we not have alarms or what? The only thing I did'nt do that I can think of is are we supposed to hit the lock buttons on our fobs to activate an alarm? I like many of you guys just leave the fob in my pocket all the time and walk up or walk away and the doors lock or unlock whenever needed. I love that feature. Anyone else know if we have alarms or not?

mrl859
04-17-11, 07:33 PM
Page 2-25 of the 2011 CTS manual states that the alarm only arms when the lock button on the rke is pressed with the doors closed. I did not know that. As I read it, passive locking does NOT set the alarm.

garfin
04-17-11, 07:47 PM
I went to check on how the alarm sounds on these cars and I don't think mine has one! Anyone else? I checked this by this procedure: Roll the drivers window down, walk away and let it the car honk and lights flash and doors lock automaticly via remote fob as I never ever touch the fob since it just stays in my pocket. Then I take the fob and put it down away from the car, walk up to the car, reach in and open the door from inside the car and nothing happens!! On my BMW the alarm would go off if I did the same thing. So do we not have alarms or what? The only thing I did'nt do that I can think of is are we supposed to hit the lock buttons on our fobs to activate an alarm? I like many of you guys just leave the fob in my pocket all the time and walk up or walk away and the doors lock or unlock whenever needed. I love that feature. Anyone else know if we have alarms or not?

I think you need to arm the system by locking the door using the key fob...
The theft-deterrent system will not activate if the doors are locked with the vehicle's key or the manual door lock. It activates only if the power door lock switch is used while the door is open or with the transmitter.

Arming the System
To arm the system,
1. Open the door.
2. Lock the door with the transmitter. The security light should come on and stay on.
3. Close all doors. The security light should go off after about30 seconds. The alarm is not armed until the security light goes off.
If a locked door or trunk is opened without using the key in the driver's door key cylinder or the transmitter, a ten second pre-alarm will occur. The horn will chirp and the lights will flash. If the key is not placed in the ignition and turned to START or the door is not unlocked by pressing the unlock button on the transmitter during the ten second pre-alarm, the alarm will go off. Your vehicle's
headlamps will flash and the horn will sound for about 30 seconds, then will turn off to save the battery power. The theft-deterrent system will not activate if the doors are locked with the vehicle's key or the manual door lock. It activates only if the power door lock switch is used while the door is open or with the transmitter. You should also remember that you can start your vehicle with the
correct ignition key if the alarm has been set off. To avoid setting off the alarm by
accident:
. Lock the vehicle with the door key after the doors are closed.
. Always unlock a door with the transmitter. Unlocking a door any other way will set off the alarm.
If you set off the alarm by accident, turn off the alarm by pressing the unlock button on the transmitter. The alarm will not stop if you try to unlock a door any other way.
How to Detect a Tamper Condition
If K is pressed and the horn sounds, an attempted break-in has occurred while the system was armed. If the alarm has been activated, the Theft Attempted message will appear on the DIC. See Key and Lock Messages on page 4‑42 for
additional information.
Immobilizer
See Radio Frequency Statement on page 12‑16 for information regarding Part 15 of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Rules and RSS-210/211 of Industry and Science Canada.
Immobilizer Operation (Key Access)
This vehicle has a passive theft-deterrent system. The system does not have to be manually armed or disarmed. The vehicle is automatically immobilized when the key is removed from the ignition. The system is automatically disarmed when the vehicle is started with the correct key. The key uses a transponder that matches an immobilizer control unit in the vehicle and automatically disarms
he system. Only the correct key starts the vehicle. The vehicle may not start if the key is damaged. The security light, located in the instrument panel cluster, comes on if there is a problem with arming or disarming the theft-deterrent
system. When trying to start the vehicle, the security light comes on briefly when
the ignition is turned on. If the engine does not start and the security light stays on there is a problem with the system. Turn the ignition off and try again. If the engine still does not start, and the key appears to be undamaged, try another ignition key. If the engine still does not start and the light continues to stay on try another key. If the engine still does not start with the other key, the vehicle needs service. If the vehicle does start, the first key may be damaged. See your
dealer/retailer who can service the theft-deterrent system and have a new key made. It is possible for the theft-deterrent system decoder to learn the transponder value of a new or replacement key. Up to 10 keys can be programmed for the vehicle. The following procedure is for programming additional keys only. To program a new key do the following:
1. Verify that the new key has 1 stamped on it.
2. Insert the current driver's key in the ignition and start the engine. If the engine will not start see your dealer/retailer for service.
3. After the engine has started, turn the key to LOCK/OFF, and remove the key.
4. Insert the key to be programmed and turn it to ON/RUN within five seconds of the ignition being turned to LOCK/OFF in Step 3.
5. The security light will turn off once the key has been programmed. It may not be apparent that the security light went on due to how quickly the key is programmed.
6. Repeat the Steps 1 through 4 if additional keys are to be programmed. Do not leave the key or device that disarms or deactivates the theft deterrent system in the vehicle.
Immobilizer Operation (Keyless Access)
This vehicle has a passive theft-deterrent system. The system does not have to be manually armed or disarmed. The vehicle is automatically immobilized when the ignition control knob is turned to LOCK/OFF. The immobilization system is
disarmed when the ignition control knob is pushed in and a valid transmitter is found in the vehicle. The security light, located in the instrument panel cluster, comes on if there is a problem with arming or disarming the theft-deterrent
system. The system has one or more keyless access transmitters that are matched to an immobilizer control unit in your vehicle. Only a correctly matched keyless access transmitter will start the vehicle. If the keyless access transmitter is ever damaged, you may not be able to start your vehicle. When trying to start the vehicle, the security light comes on briefly when the ignition is turned on. If the engine does not start and the security light stays on there is a problem with the system. Turn the ignition control knob off and try again. If the ignition ontrol knob does not rotate, and the keyless access transmitter appears to be
undamaged, try another keyless access transmitter. Or, you may try placing the transmitter in the transmitter pocket located in the center console. See Electronic Key Not Detected” under Key and Lock Messages on page 4‑42. If the ignition control knob still does not rotate with the other transmitter, your vehicle needs service. If the ignition control knob does rotate, the first transmitter may be faulty. See your dealer/retailer who can service the theft-deterrent system
and have a new keyless access transmitter programmed to the vehicle. It is possible for the immobilizer system to learn new or replacement keyless access transmitters. Up to 4 keyless access transmitters can be programmed for the vehicle. To program additional transmitters, see “Matching transmitter(s) to Your
Vehicle” for Keyless Access under Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) System Operation (Key Access) on page 1‑5 or Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) System Operation (Keyless Access) on page 1‑7. Do not leave the key or device that disarms or deactivates the theft deterrent system in the vehicle.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Elie

mrl859
04-17-11, 08:05 PM
Well, I was wrong. On my SRX, I rolled down the windows and walked away from the vehicle with the RKE. When the door passive locked, the alarm did arm. When I reached in and opened the driver's door using the inside handle, the alarm started its thirty second horn beep/light flash countdown before the alarm goes into full alert. On the V Coupe, I rolled down the windows and walked away allowing the RKE to passive lock. I then reached in and found out that the doors will neither open nor unlock electrically when armed and the RKE is not present/recognized. I couldn't reach the floor cable release so I opened the trunk using the metal key with RKE out of range. The alarm began its beep/flash countdown. So....the vehicles see the passive locking as an alarm set signal as well.

GM-4-LIFE
04-17-11, 09:20 PM
These days, does an audible alarm really deter anyone from stealing cars? Better yet, do you notice anyone even looking around when an alarm goes off?

mrl859
04-17-11, 10:08 PM
These days, does an audible alarm really deter anyone from stealing cars? Better yet, do you notice anyone even looking around when an alarm goes off?I think we all look in that direction, even if just to see whose stupid car is going off. While we may not investigate, it does draw our attention. The last thing a thief wants is to draw attention to what he's doing.

tedcmiller
04-17-11, 11:17 PM
I don't think any car alarm deters thieves. I have heard many car alarms in the past and most of the time I can't even tell what car has been activated. I go about my business as if nothing has happened,

Domsz06
04-18-11, 08:55 AM
I don't think any car alarm deters thieves. I have heard many car alarms in the past and most of the time I can't even tell what car has been activated. I go about my business as if nothing has happened,

what he said. alarms are so annoying I dont do crap about them anymore.

4gear70
04-18-11, 12:48 PM
what he said. alarms are so annoying I dont do crap about them anymore.

Same here...and that's why you use a silent paging system for the chance to have a personal welcoming party for the perp.

Btw, the factory alarm can also be disabled by unlocking the door with either the emergency key (inside the FOB) or by unlocking the door via other means.

Tony407
04-19-11, 05:55 AM
Maybe if everyone got somewhat concerned when an alarm went off they'd mean more.

Tony