: Ext Tailgate edge Guard

timbertoy
04-17-11, 06:24 PM
What Have other owners of Cadillac Ext done to protect the edge of your Tailgate. Mine Has been the victom of use. I purchased her to work and play, OK more for play yet Have looked for cadillac or some other manufacturer to come up with a guard to protect the edge when useing with the tailgate up or down. have seen other posts which talk about useing a blanket or such. Have researched the internet with no luck. Any smart ideas or solutions? Thanking you in advance.

Sincerely,

Wayne D
Timbertoy

MrHolland
04-17-11, 11:53 PM
Just have to dig, you're not the first to ask. Hope this helps.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/120861-protecting-rear-gate-ext-scratches.html

timbertoy
04-18-11, 07:32 PM
Thanks Mrholland. I did see that thread and it offered no real solution. When carrying lumber ( limited times ) it can lead to chips. Just trying to see if other fellow EXT owners possibly solved this issue. This site is a wealth of resources with owners who the same issues. Thanks again as always.

Sincerely,

Wayne

StevieT
04-20-11, 11:34 AM
I need something as well. I load boxes in my EXT every day and during the winter the zippers on my jackets have put smalls scratches from leaning over. Adding in a hardware store run I would hate to hack this thing up more.

Probably should just keep a protective roll up mat in one of the toolboxes.

WaterKing
04-20-11, 12:55 PM
Presuming you have a leased model and don't want to drill holes in the tailgate, and don't mind having a separate piece laying around.....Get one of these (or use the idea to get an angle piece of similar design)

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&productId=202544329&R=202544329

It is PVC and has 5" sides. Get it cut to length of tailgate and then cut down two opposing corners so that you have two "L" shaped sections. Get some velcro mounting pieces and attach them to tailgate and inside section of one "L" section so that it can hold the section in place over the tailgate as a cap when the tailgate is open. The only purpose of the velcro is to prevent it from sliding to the side or off when an item is slid out. Of course it must be removed before the tailgate can be closed but it is a cheap solution and you will have spare. A piece of 10" aluminum of the right length bent in a right angle in a brake would do the same. Yes, you would have something else loose to carry around but you would be able to protect the top lip and top of cap when loading.

Still think a bedslide is the best solution.

COWTOWN SURVEYOR
03-06-12, 11:12 PM
Hi Wayne . I pondered the same question myself. I wanted to replace the scatched up plastic tailgate liner as well but chose not to at $400 from the dealer.
I went to Line-X and for $150 they sprayed on a liner and covered an extra inch over the top of the tailgate . It really solved both problems. I won't ever have to replace the liner now and it covered up the nicks on the edge and now protects it. It really made the tailgate look new. Hope this helps.

J W
03-07-12, 12:09 AM
I wonder why they changed that feature. The 02-06 had a protected lip cover.
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu84/livewire110/exttaillip.jpg

quattrotman
03-07-12, 12:52 AM
I can't believe nobody makes a nice looking black plastic protective cover for the top of the tailgate...I can't believe cadillac doesn't offer this as an acessory. I have put off repainting that spoiler until I find something acceptable to protect it. The best solution I have thought of is 3m clear vinyl. Anyone else tried a tailgate protector from another truck that worked ie from a silverado or f-150 etc?

CStradling24
03-07-12, 02:27 AM
I was going to say to have the whole lip covered with rhino liner, not just the one inch. Would look at little better on black ones like mine. I like the idea of covering the whole inside tailgate as well. Did they just layer it over the plastic liner?

J W
03-07-12, 05:42 PM
Or does anyone know if the factory piece off the 02-06 ext's will work on the newer ones.
I can't believe nobody makes a nice looking black plastic protective cover for the top of the tailgate...I can't believe cadillac doesn't offer this as an acessory. I have put off repainting that spoiler until I find something acceptable to protect it. The best solution I have thought of is 3m clear vinyl. Anyone else tried a tailgate protector from another truck that worked ie from a silverado or f-150 etc?

timbertoy
03-09-12, 09:40 PM
Thanks for all the replys. I am still living with the chips "scratch and dents" of normal use. I think spray on material may be the best option at this point. Thought origional manufacturer after this time or outside manufacturer would catch on to resolve this issue. Nobody purchased their EXT to be a garbage truck. We all try to keep our vehicles in mint condition.

Again thanks to all!

Sincerely,

Wayne / Timbertoy

COWTOWN SURVEYOR
03-11-12, 12:46 PM
They did! The Linex guy explained they would rough it up a little more than it was including the plastic tailgate (spoiler? ) so that the material would stick to
it . I wanted to go all the way out to the edge but was told they pull a straight line string to cut the edge and the tail gate is curved. I choose an inch because
it matched the best where it wraps down the side edges.