: F!@#n RAIL DUST

connore
04-17-11, 06:06 PM
this is my second white diamond vehicle. now this one has the rust specs all over. is this a white diamond problem or all colors? any one else dealing with this??:banghead:

dvandentop
04-17-11, 08:59 PM
oh damn yeah white diamond would be bad for that! get the claybar ready, no probs with my 09 sedan silver

connore
04-17-11, 10:43 PM
anyone with thunder gray have this issue?

EVIL_C5
04-17-11, 10:50 PM
I was just reading about iron-x by car pro. I'm thinking about picking up a bottle to try

Caddy Wagon
04-17-11, 10:59 PM
Claybar FTW! Clay barring a new vehicle is almost a given due to rail dust from transport.

mrl859
04-18-11, 01:38 AM
It's not a Diamond White issue. It can just be seen more clearly on the white paint.

EVIL_C5
04-18-11, 09:26 AM
clay barring is good for most contaminates, but the iron rail dust, allot of it is still left behind after the clay as it just "slices" off the top surface. there are lots of discussions on this on other forums. I am a firm beliver in the clay bar, but sometimes its just not enough.

over on corvette forum there is a nice writeup on the iron-x in the detailing section.

DoingOK
04-18-11, 10:29 AM
I haven't had any issues with my white coupe. Maybe the torrential downpours before receiving my vehicle helped wash away some particulates.

EVIL_C5
04-18-11, 11:35 AM
take a plastic baggie, place it over your fingers and then rub across the finish....you will be suprised what you will feel.....

its almost impossible these days for something to not get imbedded into the finish unless they are shipped with the plastic wrap all over the vehicle. the hot iron rail particulates flying around in the air are what imbeds itself into the finish.

whytediamond
04-18-11, 01:37 PM
I had it on mine but the dealer took care of it. Not sure what he used but it was some sort of polish. You may wanna try FW1 wax, I hear it works wonders.

baabootoo
04-18-11, 02:42 PM
You're making the dealer do it, right? When I got a new white car a few years ago, they "tried" to slide out of doing it. This Pontiac also had the rust specs come off the rotor too.

dvandentop
04-18-11, 09:55 PM
Claybar FTW! Clay barring a new vehicle is almost a given due to rail dust from transport.

hell i just go it regardless of rail dust of not.

connore
04-18-11, 10:19 PM
is this covered under the paint warrenty? i brought it up with the service guy last time i was in and he blew me off. just told me what i could use to get it off. i dont think this should be my problem. after this last winter its much worse.

connore
04-18-11, 10:20 PM
does there seem to be a color it doesnt show up on? and it does take a while to show up for newer owners.

baabootoo
04-19-11, 01:32 AM
Oh, I thought that you meant you just picked up a new car and it was on it from the transport. If it has gotten worse over the winter, could it be your front calipers throwing the pieces off? Was it clean when you got the car new?

mrl859
04-19-11, 01:45 AM
It also happens from airborne particulates. It's called industrial fallout. Not covered under warranty, but most manufacturers will resolve the issue once. Usually done with an acid bath and buff.

JimmyH
04-19-11, 05:31 PM
I had a white diamond CTS. I never had problems with the finish.

baabootoo
04-19-11, 05:35 PM
It also happens from airborne particulates. It's called industrial fallout. Not covered under warranty, but most manufacturers will resolve the issue once. Usually done with an acid bath and buff.

Now this should come off easy with the clay bar. That rail/brake particles melt into the paint since they are so hot when they hit. I went to ceramic pads and pretty much ended it too.

connore
04-19-11, 09:09 PM
id have to say their isnt a spot it isnt in. seems everytime i wash it i notice more of it. i like the white but if thunder gray doesnt do it think when i go for the coupe ill switch