: 75 eldo catalytic convertor

nphoenix
04-17-11, 01:11 PM
My cat is clogged up, i know because i was able to unbolt the pipe where it comes off the Y fitting.

it sounds so sweet w/o a muffler, so in replacing the cat i am thinking to add two cats and do true dual exhaust.

it seems like it can fit.. anyone do this?

ALSO i never had a cat on this car until i move to AZ and i swear the pipes looked stock before it was tacked in line. I also saw some undersides of a 1975 on ebay and they dont have cats either.

Emissions insist have cats. All i can resarch is 1975 forward - but can not find definatively all 1975 cars need it.

drmenard
04-19-11, 11:26 PM
All 75's came with cats... If they are just looking to see if you have a cat and not sniff the tailpipe, you can take out the plug in the bottom of the cat and take out the pellets inside and put the plug back..
What I did ounce was take a muffler the same size as the cat and cut the two bent pipes off the cat and weld them on the muffle rso it fit right in and looked stock...

intragration
04-24-11, 03:33 PM
I can't believe they would actually sniff a '75. Anyway, they make hollow catalytic converters, and I'm pretty sure that by using the typical emissions cheats that you could pass the test without a functioning cat. How strict could the standards really be for a 36 year old car with a 500 cubic inch engine??