: Who has used studs from Northstar Performance ?

ThumperPup
04-16-11, 04:01 PM
Ok so just thought i would start this to see
how many of us Members here have have Jakes SG Stud in our Block

also
was it the first try for you or did you go with a timesirt or Norm sirt or hela coil first and then when it failed you realized the only true fix is not to go cheap but to go quality ?
or where the studs not available at the time you had it done first

For me it was the second time the engine was torn down i had close to wow 20k on the Engien since my HG repair with Norm Sirts
and then the block cracked had nothing to do with the Sirts feeling
but block cracked

I decided im going with jakes studs the next time wich was in December and 10k now and running strong

if i get another Northstar even if the hg;s are not bad
id probably get the stud kit the second i bought the car order one and just keep it for the chance that ill have to use it

I plan on getting another 6 years and 200k plus on the engine atleast not sure if ill have to go threw another tranny by then but im planing atleast anotherr 200k
so lets start how many have used the studs

jimsbox
04-16-11, 05:31 PM
Great idea Thunderpuppy (lol) give Jake's efforts a little honest feedback instead of the vengeful posts that have occurred recently from a few disgruntled customers or competitors that went way overboard with their rhetoric. It is fine to post because of a problem with Northstar Performance but keep it realistic and civil and don't go overboard to the point it is an obvious effort to destroy his hard earned reputation.

I put the studs in a replacement low mileage engine that had no head gasket problems (02 VIN Y) that I put in my 00 DHS when the head gasket let go at 280000 miles. No complaints, over 5000 miles and doing great.

vincentm
04-16-11, 05:36 PM
Purchased a kit, awaiting install, just finished softball practice, on my way to home to continue work on my baby.

ThumperPup
04-16-11, 06:28 PM
Great idea Thunderpuppy (lol) give Jake's efforts a little honest feedback instead of the vengeful posts that have occurred recently from a few disgruntled customers or competitors that went way overboard with their rhetoric. It is fine to post because of a problem with Northstar Performance but keep it realistic and civil and don't go overboard to the point it is an obvious effort to destroy his hard earned reputation.

I put the studs in a replacement low mileage engine that had no head gasket problems (02 VIN Y) that I put in my 00 DHS when the head gasket let go at 280000 miles. No complaints, over 5000 miles and doing great.

Hahahaha very funny
but hey its true lol naw seriously my girlfriend calls me a puppy all the time lol not sure why maybe because when we watch a movie i end up with my head on he knee sleeping lol

ThumperPup
04-16-11, 06:29 PM

yo als there is a poll option on here hit the poll up my man

maeng9981
04-16-11, 07:27 PM
Fix it right first time.

Just by comparing the stud kit to the original bolts, you can definitely tell which would be stronger.

postman2000
04-16-11, 08:17 PM
I towed my 2000 Deville up to jake in 2009. He installed his stud kit and to date i have not had any problems. Its probably been 20,000+ miles since they were done.. I did not even consider Time Serts, They are a band aid fix for this type of repair.. With the amount of work required to do the headgaskets in these vehicles its a no brainer..use the studs and do it once the right way...

Speedygman
04-16-11, 08:23 PM
If anybody thinks that Jake isn't the real deal they should try and get service from AT&T or YRS freight line or FreightQuote.com. Jake is a real sweet heart for putting up with the bad press. Jake will always be my friend and is welcome in my home anytime. I have installed his studs in my new engine from the start, No problems at all, good stuff. With the mods on this engine it will be around 450HP on gas.

ThumperPup
04-16-11, 09:07 PM
hey speedygman i want to see that engine up close think i cought the pics of it but im going to be down in GA in July ill be in Savanna for a week and then Atlanta for 2 weeks then back up to Ohio
you dont happen to be on my way when i shoot north not shue where juletta is i know i passed threw it a few times but i alwasy forget where somewhere is unless i am on my way there lol

Speedygman
04-16-11, 10:06 PM
hey speedygman i want to see that engine up close think i cought the pics of it but im going to be down in GA in July ill be in Savanna for a week and then Atlanta for 2 weeks then back up to Ohio
you dont happen to be on my way when i shoot north not shue where juletta is i know i passed threw it a few times but i alwasy forget where somewhere is unless i am on my way there lol

I am 4 miles east of I75/I475 north split. 10 miles north of Macon Ga. 75 miles south of HOTATLanta, I16 is 15 miles southeast. The heads,Cams and all related parts are with CHRF, We are also getting our 58 Chevy ready to DRIVE TO OCEAN CITY MARYLAND the end of May for the BIG cruise there. I hope to have the engine back together by then,

ThumperPup
04-16-11, 10:18 PM
I am 4 miles east of I75/I475 north split. 10 miles north of Macon Ga. 75 miles south of HOTATLanta, I16 is 15 miles southeast. The heads,Cams and all related parts are with CHRF, We are also getting our 58 Chevy ready to DRIVE TO OCEAN CITY MARYLAND the end of May for the BIG cruise there. I hope to have the engine back together by then,

about when in May will you be there
i have a Camping trip that goes from May 28th - june 5th in Darlington MD
im staying at my uncles place in Baltimore on the 26th then hes heading out of town
so the 27th im going to get a hotel somewhere ocean city sounds cool
was going to stay in the Baltimore and DC area somewhere but maybe ill be able to take a look at the 58 if your going to be out there around then

and also could see about staying at a friends place over near Bethany beach not far from ocean city

andreboy10
10-30-12, 10:25 PM
Purchased a kit, awaiting install, just finished softball practice, on my way to home to continue work on my baby.

Can you tell me how it turned out with you using the sure grip studs? And where did you take it to get done? WHat did it cost?

CadillacLuke24
10-30-12, 11:33 PM
Not sure how Vincentm's repair turned out, but generally speaking Studding the block is right in the ballpark of $2,000. I believe there's a gentleman named Mike in KY that will come to your house and fix it for ya.

Ranger
10-31-12, 10:26 AM
Mike Lawson - Louisville Ky.
Phone 502 509 2234

CadillacLuke24
10-31-12, 09:10 PM
There we go. Thank you Ranger :thumbsup:

ThumperPup
11-03-12, 11:30 AM
Didn't I read sometime back the mike only does sirts ?

Ranger
11-03-12, 08:54 PM
I think he does it with the engine in the car, so that would preclude him from using studs.

neo126
11-20-12, 07:53 AM
Bought the studs got half the block done so far they are awsome. You can tell the difference but you gotta be careful with putting the studs in the block you shouldn't have to torque them into the block. If you encounter a lot of resistance go back and make sure the threads and hole are clean. I made the mistake of torqing the stud into the block and if the nut goes to far on the stud it will strip the top. Sometimes you gotta break something to learn how to do it right.

Submariner409
11-21-12, 10:13 AM
Actually, tightening studs down into the newly threaded block bolt hole is a very, very good way to crack a Northstar block. A little Loktite thread locker and finger tight is all it takes. The fine threaded nuts do the torque work, not the lower stud threads.

nascartamike
12-25-12, 09:30 AM
Does anyone know someone that will install a stud kit in my 2002 Eldorado? The car is with my parents in East Texas. I'm in the US Army stationed in Korea. I'd like the car ready to go when I get back to the States.

Submariner409
12-26-12, 10:05 AM
If no one has a shop idea in the lower midwest - You're gonna think I'm crazy, but your best bet might be to set up the car for a truck delivery to Joe Blau (Midwest Cadillac Repair) in Palatine, Illinois about a month before you rotate back Stateside.

97EldoCoupe
12-31-12, 04:10 PM
North Texas Performance, Dallas Texas. www.northtexasperformance.com

----------

And Joe @ Midwest does good work too as Jim had mentioned. Believe me a good mechanic is for sure worth the travel time and cost (it saves in the long run)

stssteve
01-04-13, 07:10 PM
I am one of Jake's original customers from Ontario. He studded my 98 STS at 118K mi several years ago and I recently sold the car with 200K mi + last August. The car was running like new without any coolant loss or overheating at all. The repair exceeded my expectations allowing me get get several extra years out of a car that I absolutely loved. When the issue occurred, I was frustrated at GM that they could build a product that I felt was disposable basically in my mind. The dealership highballed me and likely hoped that I'd give up the car for next to nothing while buying another. Well, I'm still a Caddy owner because their product is just that nice to me and Jake made the reapir for much less with a better solution. I would recommend Jake everyday of the week and do to any Caddy owner I know. He knows these cars inside and out. He really cares about his customers too. Jake has an innovative mind and just an overall appreciation for Cadillacs that is hard to find. He clearly went over and above any expectations I had.

Speedygman
05-25-14, 05:42 PM
I do.

IXSLR8
06-03-14, 03:56 AM
By the way, I've logged about 20K on my 1996 N* with Norms inserts and ARP Volkswagen studs. No problems.
Did a second 1995 N* the same way with with 5K logged. No problems yet on it.

Caddydrummer67
06-08-14, 02:15 PM
I put NSP studs in both my '97 ETC, and '02 STS. Joe did the Eldo, and Jake did the STS. No problems with either.
As I've said before, Jake is awesome to work with. Joe was also very professional and good to work with as well. Both accomodated my shedule, helped me with transportation and delivered as promised. I would highly recommend Jake's product and either of these guys to install them.

The one thing the studs can't do is prevent a drunk driver from totalling your parked Eldo in the middle of the night.