: starting/reboot....thoughts?

rnkath08
04-16-11, 03:33 PM
Three times now, the caddy has done an odd thing...when I went to restart it after going to the store, (basically after running, then starting again after about 10 min) the whole screens are black when I step on the brake and push the magic button. The yellow engine icon is lit. I stop, wait half a minute and you can hear the computer sort of boot and start up, then I do it again and starts right up....thoughts? It's not throwing any codes, otherwise running fine...I did swing thru the battery shop and they tested the battery and said it's fine.
I'm driving from here (upstate ny) to Myrtle beach this weekend, and returning next Saturday, so with my luck I'll have some oddball problem in the middle of PA or carolina where I'm in no where land.

Also found a site that looked like a knock off to this one, NOT even close...luv you all!!! Kath

BaTu
04-16-11, 04:10 PM
Oh, I Hate those issues!

There's nothing worse than an intermittent problem, that you just Know is going to time-bomb on you, and leave you stranded when you can least afford it :(

First thing is tough, I'm Sure you can't actually hear the computer "reboot". It's not like your home computer ;) I'm thinking what you're hearing is the DVD drive (NAV), mine does that too when I first get in....

rnkath08
04-16-11, 05:39 PM
it's a different sound than the normal nav turn on, like the whole system hiccups to fix itself. Hasn't happened again in 3 days, still have bumper to bumper coverage, I just don't like when she does something I don't understand....eager to see how my gas mileage is too, I don't take her all that far, heck just hit 30,500 miles...LOL

onlyuscars
04-16-11, 11:27 PM
It's interesting that you consider PA - where 95 cuts through near philly, the 4th largest city in the US, and NC, with research triangle park and several top-tier universities, "no where" land when you live in upstate NY...........? not meaning to be offensive, just my perspective.....no idea about your car, but I hope you have no issues on your trip!

rnkath08
04-17-11, 02:52 PM
leaving now, car's been fine...I've driven to Myrtle about a dozen times, each time there is about an hour long stretch down rt 81 that seems to be a fog corrider with no obvious landmarks to see or stop at....feels very spooky and cell reception is sketchy at times....going today with my 17 yr old daughter. Two girls (ok a kid and an old hag) stuck somewhere is always a worry I don't want. Last year the girls took my old winter rat (a honda odyssey) to myrtle and the transmission blew in VA...they were stuck until we could get to them. I guess once something bad happens once I tend to be more of a planner as to how not to have something go wrong than I used to be....anyway, peace out!

rnkath08
04-18-11, 04:04 PM
just an update, got to Myrtle this am, left home and 4pm and drove straight thru, odd thing....had xm on, and several times the computer screen blacked out, the radio continued, a few seconds later the STS logo showed up then went back to the normal music radio screen....never seen that before, but also had never been in there so many hours straight. It has not repeated the restart thing again, just those three times, but now this....hmmmmmmm.

EChas3
04-18-11, 07:50 PM
Get the battery checked. If it tests good; clean the connectors, even if they look OK.

rnkath08
04-18-11, 10:17 PM
thanks Echas...will do, already tested the battery the day before I left to come here so will clean the connections straight away! Thanks!!!

EChas3
04-18-11, 11:11 PM
The problem can be the other end of the cables, too.

Maximln
05-26-11, 09:34 PM
just an update, got to Myrtle this am, left home and 4pm and drove straight thru, odd thing....had xm on, and several times the computer screen blacked out, the radio continued, a few seconds later the STS logo showed up then went back to the normal music radio screen....never seen that before, but also had never been in there so many hours straight. It has not repeated the restart thing again, just those three times, but now this....hmmmmmmm.

I also have an 06 V8 but not a "4" & my car recently did the same thing. It was a few weeks ago. The first time, my nephew had his Ipod plugged into the AUX inputs during the day & the whole nav screen went black, you could still hear the Ipod music, & then the STS logo came up & then went back to normal. Just like it had rebooted itself. Everything else in the car seemed to work fine as we were driving (for example, I didn't lose power or anything like that). I think it was the next night, I was driving home & the same thing happened. I cannot remember if it was only the nav screen that went black or if the whole dash went black too (the nav screen is so bright) but it only happened for a second and then "rebooted" again. Again, I didn't lose engine power or it didn't die. It has not done that since and it has never done that before (I have had the car ever since it was born!).

Right before this happened, the car was at the dealer for about a week as they had to change the infamous upper/lower crankcase seal due to it leaking (I thought that problem had been fixed!!). I sure hope as this car ages, more little "gremlins" do not come out!

Max

Angus Young
06-07-11, 10:50 AM
My radio has started doing this same thing, except mine is stayiing off sometimes for a day or two at a time, I have since noticed 2 things:
1) If you keep pressing the eject button on your NAV dvd my radio seems to most of the time come back on
2) the second it shuts down I am seeing this message: XM radio signal has been lost, communication problem.
If someone can shed some light on this it would be great, I also do have a lockpick installed but I really dont think that is the issue.....

onlyuscars
06-07-11, 02:03 PM
I fnially realized rn kath was a nurse lady + traveling w/ a daughter - makes me feel like a jerk, sorry! About the electrical gremlins. Do you have a lockpick installed? maybe the switch is going bad, or the non-factory wiring harnesses are shorting/loose? On another note my car normally lives inside, but when cooked in the hot sun (rarely) I get a loss of music tone settings, and the entry driver seat memory/tilt wheel functionality - the seat/steering is rectified by hitting the config then driver 1 button. Maybe also a sign of a weakening battery/corroded terminals, loose cables? How old is your battery? My battery is pushing four years old. I second Echas. The only other possibility non-softaware or electronics is the alternator?

rnkath08
06-11-11, 01:39 PM
problem completely resolved, cleaning the battery ends (under the drivers area I'm told) was the issue. Thankfully nothing serious really to go wrong with the car yet. Trip was good and safe with the exception of daughter loading the car, stepped back to open the rear door and stepped into the culvert ditch and ripped her shin open. Seriously 15 stitches down to the bone...not cool, luckily both my family there are nurses in the grand strand ER and it was a quick fix and we were on our way home. Literally ten minutes before we were to leave. If it isn't one thing.....oh well, could always have been much worse! : ) gas mileage was pretty sad, but my toes tend to tickle the radiator a bit so it's my own fault for sure.

bernman402
06-11-11, 07:51 PM
Check you oil level. The engine is designed to shut down if your low on oil. If not you need a computer diagnostic run.