: Brake And Traction Control Questions

renegaderob18
04-16-11, 03:54 PM
I have a 1994 brougham. While I was driving the ABS and traction control light both came on the dash and wont go out. The brakes seems to be working fine when I stop. The only difference I have noticed is that when I start to stop or turn corners or even sometimes when I take off I hear squealing. The squealing seems to be 50-75% of the time. I have taken off slow and fast and drove around corners slow and fast and you still hear it squealing. All brakes are only about 1-2 months old. What could be causing the abs light and traction control light to be staying on and is it still safe to drive in your opinion?

thefleetwoodguy
04-17-11, 01:26 AM
bad wheel speed sensor
run diagnostics to see which wheel

renegaderob18
04-17-11, 05:58 PM
Is there a way to run a diagnostics without taking it to the garage? The squealing sounds more like when you go to peel out and the tires are spinning if that makes a difference. Is it still safe to drive if it is the wheel sensor?

drmenard
04-17-11, 11:39 PM
The noise you are hearing could be your traction control... The first thing to do is turn off the traction control, With the car running hit the switch, it is of the left side of the glovebox.. hold it on for a few seconds until the light comes on on the lower left dash...now drive it and see if the noise is gone....you can check here for posts to tell you how to check for codes on the ABS and traction control..or try this .... hold down warmmer button and the off button until they all light up...then hit the fan up button until you get to -04.... now hit the outside temp button..... your trouble codes should come up...

renegaderob18
04-18-11, 12:51 PM
The traction control light is on already right below the abs brake light on the dash. They both come on about 60 seconds after I start the car and stay on. With both of those lights on, is it safe to drive the car or will it cause problems with anything?

outsider
04-18-11, 01:56 PM
i run mine with the lights on...i prefer it.

hate traction control!

csbuckn
04-18-11, 03:33 PM
There should be no problem running with the lights on as long as the squealing is not something major going on, no other problems should come of it. Your gonna have to take the wheel off and make sure nothing is heating up or rubbing on something else. You wont have ABS while the lights are on but its summer time and you dont really use it. Plus, if you're like me, you would prefer not to have ABS. It seems to come on a little too early. But take the wheel off to make sure you have no major things going on under there. And run the codes like drmenard described.

outsider
04-18-11, 03:35 PM
I wonder if the speed sensor got bent and is causing the squeaking. When I had my rear brakes redone the mechanic said one of the speed sensors was bent pretty bad and he had to bend it back out of the way so it wouldn't rub on things.

renegaderob18
04-18-11, 04:26 PM
I have frozen shoulder from rotator cuff surgery, so it is hard to take the tires off with one hand. If I were able to do it or get someone else to do it where is the abs sensors located and what do they look like? The brakes seem to be working fine . Even though the abs light and traction control light are on the brakes seem to be working normal so I am hoping thats good.

renegaderob18
04-18-11, 11:08 PM
I tried to pushing down the temp button along with the off button and no lights came on, so I couldn't go any further. I tried it 5 different occasions anywhere from 15 sec to 45 sec and nothing. Did I do it right and is it all of the dash lights that are to come on or what? Since it didn't work did I do it correct or is there another way to do diagnostics or something else to try?

thefleetwoodguy
04-19-11, 12:18 AM
Your Cadillac is equipped with a very good on-board diagnostic system capable of reading out the stored trouble codes.

To enter diagnostic mode:

* With the ignition in the "RUN" position (engine does not necessarily need to be running, but it will work either way).
* Push (and hold) "OFF" and "WARMER" simultaneously on the Electronic Climate Control (ECC) until all telltales lights illuminate (segment check).
* Release the "OFF" and "WARMER" buttons.
* System is now in diagnostic mode. "00" (zero-zero) should now be displayed. This is the pointer.
* Pressing "OUTSIDE TEMP" will allow you to display the corresponding code for the pointer.
* Use the "FAN SPEED" override switch (UP/DOWN) to increment or decrement the pointer number.
* Pressing "AUTO" or turning the ignition switch "OFF" exits diagnostic mode.

Pointers 00-04 contain the stored trouble codes.

* "00" = Powertrain Control Module (PCM) codes
* "01" = Central Control Module (CCM) codes
* "02" = Heating, Ventilation and Air-Conditioning (HVAC) codes
* "03" = Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) codes
* "04" = Anti-lock Brake/Traction Control System (ABS/TC) Codes

Codes prefixed by a "1" are history codes.

renegaderob18
04-19-11, 01:22 PM
Thank you for helping me with the diagnostics. Once I got it to do the diagnostics code it gave me code 41. Can anyone help with that?

outsider
04-19-11, 01:52 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/rwd-19xx-1984-deville-fleetwood-1985/173800-rwd-faq-tech-info.html

has some links to good info!
Assuming you were under section 4 (traction control and ABS) then code 41 would be: 41: Right front valve solenoid malfunction

renegaderob18
04-19-11, 02:15 PM
Yep was under section 4 for the abs brakes and traction control. What and where is the right valve solenoid located and is it still safe to drive?