: 1987 Brougham Trans filter...HELP!

outsider
04-16-11, 09:41 AM
Trying to change the filter and fluid on my 87's tranny and ran into a snag right away...

There's a big support beam like thing going from the back of the tranny to the driver's side frame. The book doesn't mention this thing at all. I've been wrenching on it for the better part of an hour and it hasn't budged yet.

Anyone ever encounter this bar thing I'm talking about? Anyone have tips on how to remove it without an impact wrench? lol
sucks...stupid thing won't budge and it looks like the bolt was actually welded (although probably just old grease filling it)

Thanks in advance

csbuckn
04-16-11, 10:09 AM
It came right off for me. Breaker bar couldn't get it? Does it look welded at the tranny mount or the frame?

outsider
04-16-11, 10:11 AM
looks welded at the tranny mount. Just sprayed it with another dose of PB BLaster and giving it a few minutes to soak in then I'll give it another round...

Did you have to remove both nuts to get it out or were you able to just push it aside once the tranny one was off?

csbuckn
04-16-11, 10:16 AM
I was able to push it aside but if they are this tight, you may have to loosen the frame one a little.

sven914
04-16-11, 10:21 AM
Mine was really tight... Get a long length of metal pipe and stick it on the end of your ratchet. With enough torque it will come loose.

outsider
04-16-11, 10:23 AM
yeah that's the problem...I lost my length of pipe somewhere over the winter! gatta try to get another one! lol
Thanks for the help, guys. I'm ganna keep troqueing on it and hopefully it'll come loose!

csbuckn
04-16-11, 10:34 AM
No breaker bar!!!!? Home depot on your to do list.

outsider
04-16-11, 10:48 AM
yeah. well i managed to get it off! All it took was about 1/3 can of pb blaster and a 3/4 inch drive ratchet! haha.

Pan is now off and draining. Thanks for your help guys!

outsider
04-16-11, 10:49 AM
oh, and by the way...probably not a big deal since there's no seal on this but I broke one of the bolts that holds the timing cover on! atleast I think it's the timing cover...or flywheel cover or something. doh. dunno how, just turned it a little and SNAP. ah well. no biggy.

csbuckn
04-16-11, 12:21 PM
Those things always break or strip, it was destiny. As long as you have enough to hold it back on.

sven914
04-16-11, 10:04 PM
What side of the engine are you on?

Timing cover is on the front. The flywheel's in the bell-housing.

Why were you dicking around with those bolts?

outsider
04-17-11, 10:19 AM
i think it's the flywheel cover. had to take that thing off to get the trans pan off as it has a lip that covers part of 2 of the bolts.

sven914
04-17-11, 11:30 AM
I don't remember that...

AElayyat
04-18-11, 10:59 PM
i think it's the flywheel cover. had to take that thing off to get the trans pan off as it has a lip that covers part of 2 of the bolts.

Yup, its the flywheel cover, timing cover is at the front of the engine.