: Electrial problem

dtino
04-16-11, 07:20 AM
Ok, here is the deal. New Alt, starter, and battery. I have an open curcit somewhere in the car. I have tried the test light thing and pulling the fuses one at a time but but after pulling one at a time the light stayed on. Annyone know other ways to find a short? What happens is if I let the car sit for 3 or 4 days the battery is dead. I have had the battery check (good) the alt (good) and the starter (good), so I have maybe an open ground somewhere in the car. Any help here? Thanks

deVille33
04-16-11, 09:16 AM
The main circuit I can think of that is not fused is the headlight circuit.
The problem could be in that circuit.

csbuckn
04-16-11, 10:14 AM
How did you test it with the test light? I think you need a volt meter to test battery draw.

sven914
04-16-11, 10:17 AM
You need a DVOM. A test light won't tell you anything.

When you put the leads of the DVOM to the battery (normally) the voltage will stay steady at 12.5 volts. On yours, you will probably be able to see it slowly drain. What you need to do is have someone hold the DVOM to the battery and watch the reading while you pull fuses. When you pull a fuse and the reading stops counting down, then you have found your open circuit.

dtino
04-16-11, 11:09 AM
I will try the dvom today and see what is going on. With the test light I used it betwenn the battery and hot cable going to starter (I disconnected the hot from battery). I was told that once you pull the fuse that is pulling the test light will go out. But like I said, pulled fuses one at a time but light stayed on with everyone.

csbuckn
04-16-11, 12:26 PM
Yeah, as long as your battery has power, it will light the test light. With such a slow draw of the battery, it may take some time to see the battery volts drop so you'll have to take your time.

drmenard
04-17-11, 11:23 PM
I agree in what you have done.. Taking off a bat cable and putting a light in between the cable and battery... the light may not be bright.. The light should go out when the fuse for the circut drawing the power is pulled...There may be another fuse block or a fuseable link circut that is shorted...Like what was said it could be in the headlight circut...Your computer draws power all the time... now this may be enough to keep the light on... so even if you pulled out the fuse for the shorted circut the light might not go out...so if you are pulling them out then putting them back in , it may not work that way... so first pull all the fuses that draw all the time or pull them out and don't put them back till you fine it....

csbuckn
04-17-11, 11:34 PM
Okay, I see what you mean now. But I would think the cable to the starter would be enough to ground out and light the light, especially a little test light.

intragration
04-18-11, 04:51 AM
I'm not familiar with your car in particular, but I know someone else was having this same problem and it ended up being caused by the horn relay.

deVille33
04-18-11, 07:48 AM
In some applications the blower motor is also unfused. It's circuit is governed by the relay. I believe the horn circuit is fused.