: Adding Super Charger lid, 10" ring and ERA CAI is it safe?

Somefun
04-16-11, 06:41 AM
Guy's I have a 9.5 lower, modded air box, ported blower snout, AM racing headers and high flow cats, 160 stat, wait4me heat exchanger. I'm adding a 10" lower larger injectors, D3 blower spacer and a ERA CAI. I want to bolt on the 10" lower, lid spacer and ERA intake then driver it easy to the tuner about 50 miles away. What do you think? I don't want to go lean and urt somthing.....I could do just the ERA and lid spacer. Just like to do my own work thats why I didn't want him doing it.....

wait4me
04-16-11, 08:24 AM
It will be fine. As long as you dont go into boost, your car should be fine no matter what ring you have on it. The bypass valve vents out all boost while you are driving unless higher throttle levels. You car would still be tuned for the lower boost if it goes into it, just not the higher boost at WOT.

Bookinctsv
04-16-11, 11:44 AM
let me know you rwhp...because i will be running the same setup in about 5 weeks.. airaid intake, kooks headers and xpipe with corsa, d3 heat exchanger, d3 lidspacer, fuelinjectors, 10 pulley, and tune. only thing im missing is that im not ported.

aj660
04-16-11, 01:33 PM
What is a s/c lid? Never heard of that..

Somefun
04-16-11, 04:31 PM
It adds 63 more CC's to the super charger and stops the turbulences in side from adding more boost and because of this it adds about 7HP to the rear wheels...I'm going to get it tuned on the dyno this Wednesday. Just finished the installation of all the new parts....

DrumStix
04-16-11, 05:52 PM
Do you have anything to clear codes? Any type of scanner at all?

DrumStix
04-16-11, 06:01 PM
The lid spacer has been tested by a few. What I do know is it does not create any additional clearance between the IC and the hat so IATS won't be any lower and the air still makes the same hard turn. Since it is gasketed up towards the hat and IATS won't be lowered, you are basically using the supercharger to now fill more volume in the hat with no net cooling effect so the 63 cu" is a push. It also is made out of aluminum so there it no negation of heat Xfer realized from the case.

All of the other mods look good.

DrumStix
04-16-11, 06:02 PM
What is a s/c lid? Never heard of that..

Supercharger lid. The top hat on the blower.

Domsz06
04-16-11, 10:35 PM
The lid spacer has been tested by a few. What I do know is it does not create any additional clearance between the IC and the hat so IATS won't be any lower and the air still makes the same hard turn. Since it is gasketed up towards the hat and IATS won't be lowered, you are basically using the supercharger to now fill more volume in the hat with no net cooling effect so the 63 cu" is a push. It also is made out of aluminum so there it no negation of heat Xfer realized from the case.

All of the other mods look good.

very nice way of saying waste of $1000 :)

shade
04-16-11, 10:47 PM
Unfortuantely Drum is right they did extensive testing

GMX322V S/C
04-17-11, 11:38 AM
P*V=k. So how does increasing the charged volume and decreasing the turbulence not equate to lower temps and more HP?

Domsz06
04-17-11, 01:57 PM
P*V=k. So how does increasing the charged volume and decreasing the turbulence not equate to lower temps and more HP?

You would think it would but it doesn't :( u can ask drum and phx..... Lot of drama and stuff on this topic.

Domsz06
04-17-11, 02:08 PM
you guys should read this.

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/glussac.html

I think it tells you why it's not working. Your increasing the volume yes, but then that also increases the T. We all know that temp destroys our HP.... What do you think?

GMX322V S/C
04-17-11, 04:29 PM
That formula describes the outcome of raising the temperature of a given mass of gas held under constant pressure--for example, blow up a balloon in the cold outside, bring it inside a warm house and it will expand. What I was thinking is a little different--kind of like lowering the compression ratio (giving more space for a given volume of gas to fill)...

DrumStix
04-17-11, 04:50 PM
very nice way of saying waste of $1000 :)

Danke

6speeder
04-17-11, 05:01 PM
Let me be the doubting Thomas here. Do you really think it's safe to change injectors and drive it without a tune change? Admittedly, if he's going to bigger injectors he will (probably) be running super rich, but it'll set codes for sure, might not idle, might (worst case) get so much gas it gets ring wash and scores the cylinders.:bighead:

PhxTriode
04-17-11, 06:36 PM
Let me be the doubting Thomas here. Do you really think it's safe to change injectors and drive it without a tune change? Admittedly, if he's going to bigger injectors he will (probably) be running super rich, but it'll set codes for sure, might not idle, might (worst case) get so much gas it gets ring wash and scores the cylinders.:bighead:

I wouldn't even try to run it with the injectors. It probably won't even idle. If your using the ID850's they are 94# the supplied injector data is mandatory. If nothing else leave them out until you arrive at the tuners then pop them in. Very easy to swap.

Somefun
04-17-11, 07:07 PM
Guy's I made the changes and its runnig fine....I'm not driving it only to the tuners... I will have them install the injectors when they get the car....

Domsz06
04-18-11, 08:59 AM
your car should (and it did) run fine with those mods minus the injectors. nothing will affect the car as long as you keep it under stock boost and don't get on it. A pulley does't do anything to the engine until you get on it, and the CAI won't do much again until you get on it.

Domsz06
04-18-11, 09:01 AM
That formula describes the outcome of raising the temperature of a given mass of gas held under constant pressure--for example, blow up a balloon in the cold outside, bring it inside a warm house and it will expand. What I was thinking is a little different--kind of like lowering the compression ratio (giving more space for a given volume of gas to fill)...

yeah as soon as I posted that I realized it was different. I don't know why it doesn't work, but as many have found on here the lid doesn't work for these cars... :( most who had it have had more issues after they put it on then before.