: how to check transmission fluid level?

cadillacdriver25
04-15-11, 11:03 PM
hello

how can I check the transmission fluid level on my 2005 STS V8? On my 99 STS it is very easy..!

dkozloski
04-15-11, 11:29 PM
It's a very involved process involving having the car up on a lift, leveled, with the engine running, and removing the transmission filler plug. There is no dipstick.

onlyuscars
04-16-11, 08:34 AM
I am at 52,000 miles. I know the service recommendations for the drivetrain, but am looking for opinions here. I have done tranny fluid, pan gaskets, and filters before, but that was in a garage with a pit. Lack of equipment and time leave me at the counter. I can probably still do the rear-end myself with a drill pump, if it has a regular plug.

Will the dealer drop the pan and change filters or just cycle the fluid through like a jiffy lube? These things have made a huge difference at about this interval in previously owned cars, will they here?

STS guy
04-16-11, 09:29 AM
Cadillac REALLY missed the boat on this one. An STS is supposed to be a enthusiast's car, however, the enthusiast cannot check the tranny fluid?? A true enthusiast enjoys doing stuff like checking the tranny, oil level, etc. C'mon Caddy pull your head out of the dark place and make cars that appeal to market you are targeting, not ones that fatten the dealers coffers.

dkozloski
04-16-11, 10:46 AM
Cadillac REALLY missed the boat on this one. An STS is supposed to be a enthusiast's car, however, the enthusiast cannot check the tranny fluid?? A true enthusiast enjoys doing stuff like checking the tranny, oil level, etc. C'mon Caddy pull your head out of the dark place and make cars that appeal to market you are targeting, not ones that fatten the dealers coffers.

Cadillac found that a major source of transmission trouble was dirt introduced into the transmission by well meaning tinkering owners. Transmissions are now assembled in a special clean room and sealed. No service is required or desireable for the first 100,000 miles.

z06bigbird
04-16-11, 12:06 PM

If Caddy missed the boat, then so did Rolls, BMW, Mercedes, Jag, and a few other lux vehicles.

Sealed engines and transmissions with those brands--since 2007, some earlier.

Now again, who was it that missed the boat??!! Maybe we just miss the dipsticks!! Certainly, if it is very very dark in some places, then ....

cadillacdriver25
04-18-11, 03:43 PM
okay thx :)

yes thats true... germany brands also dont have a dipstick. just wanted to get sure because my 99 had it:)

onlyuscars
04-18-11, 08:28 PM
2004 Lincoln Aviator = sealed tranny also.

nguyennhatquang
04-18-11, 09:00 PM
i think it have sensor to check the fluid level. if u replace the fluid i have some photos for it. but i recomend 50.000 miles less than the manufacturer suggested and AMSOIL synthetic. u'll see alot of diffirent when it shift
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g228/quangty/Screenshot2011-04-18at75538PM.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g228/quangty/Screenshot2011-04-18at75512PM.jpg

STS guy
04-19-11, 08:42 AM
O.K. I did not realize the "reason" or that other lux brands do the same thing (fatten the invoices) for their dealers. SEALED ENGINES?????? Whoa!!!!

STS guy