: Drag radials on!

6speeder
04-15-11, 01:35 PM
Well, I was tired of spinning all the way through second gear so I bought a pair of drag radials and Corvette wheels. The tires are BFG DR's, 295/35-18 which are a little wider and a little shorter than the stock tires. The wheels are Corvette C5 thin spoke reproductions, in 18-9.5" size. They fit perfectly, don't hit on anything, no spacers or grinding needed, but the spokes are close to the brake calipers. They are about 2 pounds lighter than the stock wheel/tire combo. I'll have pics and report gains from the drag strip tomorrow.

My previous best was a 12.21 @ 119.8, with a 2.08 60' when the DA was 6,600 feet. That's right, six THOUSAND, six HUNDRED feet.:crying2:

It'll probably be higher tomorrow. :banghead:But, that's what I get for living in the high desert.

newcadman
04-15-11, 03:30 PM
What mods?

With any decent 60', it's an 11.xx !

Best of luck

cbloveday
04-15-11, 04:02 PM
Good luck and break that 12 second barrier :burn:

gnxs
04-15-11, 04:09 PM
Well, I was tired of spinning all the way through second gear so I bought a pair of drag radials and Corvette wheels. The tires are BFG DR's, 295/35-18 which are a little wider and a little shorter than the stock tires. The wheels are Corvette C5 thin spoke reproductions, in 18-9.5" size. They fit perfectly, don't hit on anything, no spacers or grinding needed, but the spokes are close to the brake calipers. They are about 2 pounds lighter than the stock wheel/tire combo. I'll have pics and report gains from the drag strip tomorrow.

My previous best was a 12.21 @ 119.8, with a 2.08 60' when the DA was 6,600 feet. That's right, six THOUSAND, six HUNDRED feet.:crying2:

It'll probably be higher tomorrow. :banghead:But, that's what I get for living in the high desert.
Considering the elevation, you're already hauling the mail. Easy 11 second timeslip in your future. Make sure you do at least one launch from a dead idle, I think you'll find you'll be rewarded in your 60 ft.

6speeder
04-15-11, 05:02 PM
Thanks all. So far I've found a dead idle launch to give the best times, but we'll see with the DR's. My mods are a W4Me upper pulley, his handheld canned tune, and a K&N with the airbox mod. It made 534 rwhp SAE, but uncorrected because of the altitude that's really only 444 rwhp.

Yes, I really want an 11.xx, "times" will tell.:bonkers:

shade
04-15-11, 05:18 PM
Damn where do you live Mt Everest?

newcadman
04-15-11, 05:41 PM
Thanks all. So far I've found a dead idle launch to give the best times, but we'll see with the DR's. My mods are a W4Me upper pulley, his handheld canned tune, and a K&N with the airbox mod. It made 534 rwhp SAE, but uncorrected because of the altitude that's really only 444 rwhp.

Yes, I really want an 11.xx, "times" will tell.:bonkers:

FWIW, you may wish to start with about 20 psi in the DR's and don't be hesitant to drop the psi down to 17-18 if need be. With a GOOD HEALTHY burnout and some engine cooling the 11's are yours!

6speeder
04-15-11, 06:14 PM
Damn where do you live Mt Everest?

HEH. Sometimes it seems that way. Albuquerque Dragway is at 5,400 feet, Drag times has it listed wrong BTW. But... our spring/summer DA is usually in the 7,000 feet range.

NEWCADMAN: We think alike, they're at 20 right now. :cool2: