: Factory Extended Warranty worth it??

LawIns1
04-15-11, 12:59 PM
Hi, I am new to the board/forum. I purchased an 08 Escalade about 4 months ago. The 50k mile mark is approaching quickly (in about 300 miles). I received quotes to extend the warranty, bumper to bumper, that range from $2100 (36k miles/36 month) to over $3k for (54k miles, 60 month). Is getting the warranty worth it? The major, expensive things are covered under the 5 year/100k power train warranty which is my main concern. I am a fairly mechanical guy so I can fix most minor issues that occur. Curious to know what problems (if any) these trucks have, how many of you purchased a warranty and found it worth it. I am sure there are some that bought it and never used it...
Thanks in advance.
Chuck

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-15-11, 03:39 PM
Hello Chuck, are you referring to the GMPP or to a third party program? Thank you.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

GregDonna
04-15-11, 04:35 PM
Yes you want a extended warranty I had a radio go out and rear ac control go out and it was 1700.00 I had to pay 50.00 oh hell yea well worth it just my two cents.

2007caddy
04-15-11, 07:19 PM
Before you sign up for the GMPP read the " what's not covered " section, it may end up costing you the 3k + dedcutible + the cost of items that are not covered...I purchased one for $3500 and to date I must have paid about $1500 out of pocket on items that are not covered...recently at my semi-annual check it was determined that my engine coolant lines were leaking which was not covered, I never noticed any residual drops in my garage....go figure...for the $5000 I have spent thus far it would have beneficial not to purchase one in my case....good luck

hannity
04-17-11, 02:00 PM
If you plan on keeping your truck for the long haul then I would think about it becuase escalades are prone to break down. What I would advise though is to save the money you would spend on the warranty and use that to fix it when it breaks. You may be lucky and never need to use the warranty (lol) if you spend money on the warranty but don't count on that. What you can count on is it not covering things that we all think it should. So the best advice I give you is to save that money and spend it on the vehicle as needed.

PreachRR
04-17-11, 05:38 PM
I did not purchase one.. my vehicle was certified and all I have to say is .. THANK GOD!!! My my nav went out and back up camera and a host of other things small as they may be have all been fixed but the truth be told I am still under the factory warranty with an 07 with only 40k so far.. But I refuse to own a vehicle that I have to fix..

LawIns1
04-17-11, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the opinions guys.
Jeff - I am referring to the GM factory warranty. I've had third party (Easy Care) before and it was a waste of money.
Thank you.
Chuck

LawIns1
04-17-11, 11:57 PM
Hello Chuck, are you referring to the GMPP or to a third party program? Thank you.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

Yes Jeff, I am only interested in the factory warranty. I am about 150 miles from hitting the 50k mark. I need to make decision soon,
Thanks.
Chuck

lousy_investor
04-18-11, 12:18 AM
I have GMPP and currently just went out of factory warranty. As soon as it went above 80k km, I have had the heated steering wheel, backup camera and door handle failing on me. Also had a rattle that seems to come from the catalytic converter when I accelerate from a stop. Since I have a $200 deductible I am waiting for more things to break before I go in. But if nothing else breaks before winter comes, I will see get them looked at so I can have heated steering wheel ready for the cold months. :)

These things altogether don't add up to what I paid the GMPP for, but when I got all these things happening within 2 months of factory warranty expiration, I am glad to have that as a insurance policy.

zam2000
04-18-11, 12:54 PM
Hi, I am new to the board/forum. I purchased an 08 Escalade about 4 months ago. The 50k mile mark is approaching quickly (in about 300 miles). I received quotes to extend the warranty, bumper to bumper, that range from $2100 (36k miles/36 month) to over $3k for (54k miles, 60 month). Is getting the warranty worth it? The major, expensive things are covered under the 5 year/100k power train warranty which is my main concern. I am a fairly mechanical guy so I can fix most minor issues that occur. Curious to know what problems (if any) these trucks have, how many of you purchased a warranty and found it worth it. I am sure there are some that bought it and never used it...
Thanks in advance.
Chuck

If it's from GM, then it's worth it. One of the best investment I made on car

Zhariak
04-18-11, 02:09 PM
I have an extended warranty from GM.

My compressor on my auto-level went the other day. I only paid 105 bucks for my deductable. One guy said the pump alone was 1000+ bucks. Every vehicle I've ever had I've gotten extended, and they have ALL paid off 3-6 times...

JimmydaGreek
05-06-11, 07:55 PM
I just got an 07 ESV fully loaded last night and opted for the GMPP warranty. There isn't much that isn't wear and tear that's not covered. It's also good to have good relationship with the dealer and your SA. My previous Escalade with same I had almost everything fixed including the rear hatch shocks, wiper assemply, AC compressor, air shock, etc. all covered! Oh and rental car every time!

2007caddy
05-06-11, 08:10 PM
Read the agreement carefully

Dobiesdaddy
05-13-11, 05:51 PM
I never had an extended warranty in all my life on any new vehicle. The majority of problems will appear in the first few years. If you maintain your car per the manufactures recommendations you should have no problem. If you are the type of person who just drives and don't maintain your ride it may benefit you! Also, if you are told to read the fine print closely on anything... that should raise a RED FLAG immediately!
Once you are out of your warranty period save your money for servicing and go to an "independent service center" that deals specifically with your brand of vehicle. They are cheaper than the stealer (dealer) and tend to have better mechanics too! That has been my experience. Always network with fellow owners and find out the good shops in your area.

Mattah
05-14-11, 01:21 AM
makes me seriously think about buying an escalade now that you guys say you have so many problems go wrong.

balladw
05-15-11, 01:00 PM
makes me seriously think about buying an escalade now that you guys say you have so many problems go wrong.

Don't buy one then, when you have tons of features something is bound to go wrong. But back to the warranty, my radio just went out and it is 1900 bucks that I would of had to pay. But I bought the total plus thank God.

zoek
07-04-11, 07:25 PM
Just out of curiosity, how much did you pay for your total plus?
I just got quate for mine and it's $4500+tax with $100 deductible and it's upto 160K Km or 4 years which ever comes first.
If it was less than $3000, I'd considered it but I'm not sure if it costs almost $5000.

Any advise?

I have 2008 ESV with nav & 2 dvd screens with 78000km and October 31, 2008 in service date.

mattys_ext
07-04-11, 07:33 PM
i bought mine for $2500 with a $200 deductible on a 2010 Escalade EXT