: Message to all stud kit customers, past, present, and future.

97EldoCoupe
04-15-11, 11:29 AM
In business there are never legitimate excuses for anything that can go wrong.

-illness
-supplier shortage
-error in machining
-ups lost packages
-pulled over by the cops on the way to ups and could not make the deadline
-employee called in sick
-power outage

Reason I say this is because I receive emails like this:

Hello, I ordered one of theses tud kits and was very pleased until I tried to use it. The shoulder bolts will not fit the jig and worse they are not concentric. I measured the shoulder and found they are .746 to .752 diameter then I rolled them in a V block and found the thread is off center by about .030 These two things make the jig useless. Can you please tell me why you would send me something that you obviously did not try to assemble and secondly what I am supposed to do now.
I need to put this motor together so I need an answer soon.
Also what is the point in having a text me post that you do not answer?

I do not have time to box this shit up and send it back to you so that you can send me something that I clearly will not need by the time I get it.
You owe me the value of this "fixture kit".
Oh and I will be sure to let everyone know how good a product you sell. Thanks for nothing.

Clearly you knew you sent me a nonfunctional piece of shit.

Some alignment / fixture plates have been sent out that are not within spec. I don't know what shifted, I manufactured a plate yesterday and everything lines up except the tapping hole. Now that is has been brought to my attention I can correct the error.

A new jig is being constructed as of this minute to correct this problem. It will be DEAD on center, all four holes. No tolerance, no play, no B.S. Nobody needs to pay $549 for something that is not manufactured within spec, but at the same time I don't need people accusing me of purposely selling non functional shit. That is not my intention.

Some orders have been delayed because this HAS to be corrected before any more orders ship. People cannot understand delays- I get yelled at when I lift the phone. So I stopped answering my phones about two days ago. My stress level is so high right now I'm about to snap.

I was in Ontario until two days ago and I have no way of remachining anything without the equipment to do so. Now I'm here at the main shop where I have what I need to take care of this.

MY COMMITMENT TO MY CUSTOMERS

It is my job as the developer, builder, and distributor of this product to provide a working product that works flawlessly, and ship on time. I am well aware of my responsibilities and will do whatever necessary to fulfill these responsibilities.

Right now, if you're waiting on an order, it WILL ship either today or Monday. It will be a quality product and the jig will be 100% accurate.

If you have been shipped a kit where the holes do not perfectly line up, send me an email with your name and address, and date of receipt of the kit and I will send you return instructions. A new plate and bolt set will be sent to you at no charge. It is my responsibility to correct this.

QUALITY CONTROL

It is impossible to account for certain errors sometimes. We have suppliers that sometimes screw up and the screw ups are so minor that they are not visible but will greatly affect the performance or use of the kit. We will check everything to ensure to the best of our ability that everything is within spec and you will not have problems. From now on, after every 10 plates the jig they are constructed on will be checked for tolerance, wear, etc.

Each kit will contain a production # and manufacture date. I have yet to figure out how to engrave this, but a certificate will be sent with each kit with this information. If there ever is an issue we can track it back to the last time tooling was changed, etc...

THE BIGGEST STEP TO AVOID SUPPLIER ISSUES

Is to become our own supplier and keep a stock of no less than 25 kits on the shelf at once. Certain things we cannot produce but the studs, the alignment plates, any machined part will be produced in my shop.

I know what it's like to have an engine apart and wait for studs. THREE weeks last year I was completely out - nice suppliers huh? They did not care.

PAYPAL

Will no longer be offered as a payment method. The $4k they're sitting on right now that I cannot access would very easily purchase a new set of thread rolls that I need right now- and then some. I can't afford to have money tied up like this. From now on, payment by cert. cheque or VISA/MC over the phone.

ORDER TRACKING

I will rehire a receptionist because I desperately need one. I just got another employee started in the shop. Until then, please send all requests to my email for order tracking.

In all honesty I need to slow down a bit and live differently. I had four hours of sleep for a number of nights in a row and two days ago I slept for about an hour, woke up, and my heart was not beating normally and I was short of breath. I may give up the work on the cars once I get the vehicles finished that I have here at the shop.

Face it, 1.7M+ of these engines have been produced and my shop can only handle currently about 100/year for repair. With a bulletproof method of repair under patent pending status, I need to do WHATEVER it takes to make sure this repair is available to all Cadillac owners and repair shops. It would be a real shame for anyone to have to resort to an inferior threaded insert because I cannot deliver on time.

Everyone please remember I started this with nothing more than $300 and a personal collection of tools (and a 1950's Atlas lathe). I am not a multi-million dollar company that can give away free stuff, eat express shipping costs all the time, etc. Maybe that day will come I don't know-

I will do whatever I can to help my customers and get the ordered kits out the door ASAP, with accurate parts. There are many people that want to see my business fail, many that want it to succeed. I have been called everything under the sun as I'm sure a few of you remember from a voicemail message I posted a link to. It's up to everyone whether they want to believe it or not but I am doing my very best for my customers.

Please bear with me, accurate alignment plates are being constructed right now and orders are beginning to ship again. They are shipping from Winnipeg- I-29 is flooded. This may also pose a delay but that is something I cannot help. I have pictures where my truck is treading water- big time. From Fargo to Grand Forks I-29 has been closed for a few days already. My shop is only 5 miles from the Red River, I'm lucky I haven't been flooded out yet.

I will post more later after the workday and show everyone what I'm up to and what I'm going to be doing to increase production speed and accuracy. UPS and lost shipments- I'm not sure yet how to handle that. 5 lost since December.

00 Deville
04-15-11, 11:44 AM
Jake, As you know I'm one of your customers that is waiting for the new jig. I completely understand that sometimes things don't always work out the way we planned. Even though my engine is out of the car... heads off... I will not put anything but your studs in it. Hands down it's the best product available on the market. I truly appreciate your honesty and candor about the situation. I for one have always and will always believe in you and your Stud Kit.

Best Regards, Marty

ejguillot
04-15-11, 11:48 AM
Ouch. The ups and downs of growing a business. Keep working at it! (From a happy stud kit customer.)

vincentm
04-15-11, 12:02 PM
What should i do? Wait until i install the studs on my engine? And if the plate is bad contact you? Or just request another to eliminate the issue altogether should it crop up? Let me know what works best for you. your product is rock solid even though i've yet to install my kit, i know what im doing is the best thing for my NorthStar engine. Again thanks for all you do for us Caddy lovers, and i wish you the best of luck.

ThumperPup
04-15-11, 12:45 PM
If you have been shipped a kit where the holes do not perfectly line up, send me an email with your name and address, and date of receipt of the kit and I will send you return instructions. A new plate and bolt set will be sent to you at no charge. It is my responsibility to correct this..

Jake when i hear a Company Man or Rep say this and when i hear it come from you
i am Shirley proud to know you even if just by email
reason why
is some companies just are a peace of work

like when my Linksys router whent bad the warranty department a proved a replacement but i had to send the old one back at my own cost of shipping they shipped the new one to me
but why should i have to pay shipping to return a fualty item
i go threw this with other places like Shop NBC QVC
when i order a part online or over the phone
a lot of company's are like that and i think its bad business

but when i hear you say this
i know that your a good man

and we all know your not and never would try to screw a customer
some might just get paranoid and not understand to read what they said or think before typing
but still not an excuse for being rude and accusing you

your a good man

97EldoCoupe
04-15-11, 02:43 PM
Vincent I believe yours was still one of the ones that will be accurate. This was a recent problem; quite recent.

This is partially due to a screw up from a machine shop I deal with, and partially due to a slightly worn jig that I did not catch in time.

Everything is constructed concentrically on a brand new cylinder head. I machined special bushings that allow everything to line up 100% concentric based on the original factory drilled holes. With less than .002" tolerance, there is simply no way this new jig will allow screwups. It's very difficult to get the plates off this new jig once welded because of the low tolerance.

I want to set new quality standards that will far exceed that of other shops. I need the time and allowance to do this. Because we're studding these engines I want the studs to be 100% concentric as well.

Great things can be accomplished with time, effort, and customer feedback as well. Customer feedback is very important - and I understand perfectly how frustrating it would be for someone to get the kit, go to install it, and something is off center. I cannot run a business on quality like that nor would I allow this:

I made the step that nobody else in the thread repair business has yet- a self aligning fixture plate. Because of this, the need for close tolerances on alignment and concentricity has increased substancially. Now I need to step up the precision to make this self alignment feature dead on accurate.

Thank you all for your continued support. I will make very sure I don't let my customers down- at least the ones that understand that sometimes sh-- happens. I learned a lot about production work when I worked at GM Assembly / Cami Automotive (where they build the equinox, torrent, and the new Terrain):

1. Identify the problem
2. Correct it as quickly as possible making sure the problem will not resurface
3. Implement whatever new tools or tactics necessary to ensure it will never happen again
4. Try to identify potential problems beforehand

Those rules apply to any production business.

Now, my suppliers are largely at fault which is why I have to handle production myself.

I've been checking around for quotes from other suppliers and I'm not finding anyone who is willing to work with me to achieve perfect thread quality, hardness, finish, and price. But I know I can achieve all of this in my own shop. I have the tooling now all except for one set of threading dies. And as business grows I will purchase my own CNC equipment and better tooling all the time. It's the only way I can make this business work and meet demands- which are quality precision parts, on time.

If my current supplier could begin to provide what I need I would probably let them continue production of the stud but quality would have to chance substancially before I would even consider it.

I'm on a very tight timeline. The Northstars are no longer produced and people are having issues with them NOW. I need to have parts in stock, ready to go on the shelf. And that's what I'm aiming for.

Again- Thank you all for your continued support. It means a lot especially when there are days I'd just like to scream and go for a long, long drive.

RippyPartsDept
04-15-11, 03:12 PM
What would be the best and worst case scenario for someone who used one of these 'bad' alignment parts?
possibly no problem?
wasted block?

92Deville
04-15-11, 04:03 PM
Jake, remember you can't take care of anyone or anything else unless you are taking care of yourself first. There will always be the critical people who are doing nothing to be part of the solution. Get some rest and clear your head. Take a day off, the work will still be waiting for you when you get back;) When I get my motor out I will be calling for a stud kit. The right product with superior service. What more could you ask for?:thumbsup:

MoistCabbage
04-15-11, 06:18 PM
Jake, your commitment to the product/service you offer is inspiring. When my head bolts and block decide to part ways, I WILL be ordering one of your kits. Hell, if you're still doing the job yourself, maybe I'll take a ride up to Canada. Either way, I look forward to doing business with you.

Aaron.

97EldoCoupe
04-16-11, 01:39 PM
Thanks all for the support. Aaron and 92 Deville, thank you. I have gotten a good night sleep (10 hours!) and feel much better now. On the list for today is to finish a Caddy that's in the shop and build more stud kits.

Chris - if the head bolt holes are drilled off a few thou, it won't affect anything. There is enough clearance to allow for the stud to be a few thousanths off the factory drilled hole. This is why there are alignment pins- if the head was real tight around the head bolt holes or studs, alignment pins would not be necessary.

I got the application form from my U.S. law firm for a USA work visa. I now have to find a suitable shop and rent/lease it before I can apply for a work VISA. It sounds like a pretty sure thing-

That tour of a few U.S. States may come very, very soon now. If all goes well, all stud kits to the USA, will ship from the USA by mid summer. Who knows, they may soon be completely manufactured in the USA.

This new USA shop will eliminate a whole mess of issues.

Ranger
04-16-11, 02:01 PM
Take your time Jake.

97EldoCoupe
04-16-11, 02:25 PM
Yes I will do that Ranger. Time is of the essence but I have to make sure I don't run the finances too tight. Once I have the machine shop up and running for the studs everything is going to be much smoother and will work better. I'm waiting on a set of rolling dies, they have to come from Germany.

I did some test threading, the roll threading I can do in my lathe now comes out 100% flawless. Love it! I can roll thread pre-hardened bar stock with this set-up. This means super strong, super smooth threads.

jimsbox
04-16-11, 02:52 PM
Jake, I know you have had a firestorm of aggravation on a recent thread but the vast majority of us continue to trust and respect you. Once you get the details worked out maybe the delays that cause the irritation will go away. By the way, your stud kit worked great on my engine, Thanks.

Jim

ThumperPup
04-16-11, 03:56 PM
Don't Burn yourself out Jake remember 1 customer being angry about a acidental not your fualt issue
and 20 that are very satasfied
is not somehting to work up about
to burn yourself out
every business man knows that for every 20 satafied customers there is going to be 1 who turns out to be a jerk and if something is wrong they will think oh he sold me this shit that wouldnt work just to scam me for my money

3rd times a charge don't burn yourself out over this
you need your own pace to work at so you can meet your standards or better

edb150
04-17-11, 12:25 AM
I have 2 of your jigs , 1 you sent me and another a customer brought me when I did his car and they are both fine. Also Jake if you see this i need a stud kit for a 99. Customer dropped a car off today. It will be our 68th car

Speedygman
04-17-11, 05:49 PM
In business there are never legitimate excuses for anything that can go wrong.

-illness
-supplier shortage
-error in machining
-ups lost packages
-pulled over by the cops on the way to ups and could not make the deadline
-employee called in sick
-power outage

Reason I say this is because I receive emails like this:

Some alignment / fixture plates have been sent out that are not within spec. I don't know what shifted, I manufactured a plate yesterday and everything lines up except the tapping hole. Now that is has been brought to my attention I can correct the error.

A new jig is being constructed as of this minute to correct this problem. It will be DEAD on center, all four holes. No tolerance, no play, no B.S. Nobody needs to pay $549 for something that is not manufactured within spec, but at the same time I don't need people accusing me of purposely selling non functional shit. That is not my intention.

Some orders have been delayed because this HAS to be corrected before any more orders ship. People cannot understand delays- I get yelled at when I lift the phone. So I stopped answering my phones about two days ago. My stress level is so high right now I'm about to snap.

I was in Ontario until two days ago and I have no way of machining anything without the equipment to do so. Now I'm here at the main shop where I have what I need to take care of this.

MY COMMITMENT TO MY CUSTOMERS

It is my job as the developer, builder, and distributor of this product to provide a working product that works flawlessly, and ship on time. I am well aware of my responsibilities and will do whatever necessary to fulfill these responsibilities.

Right now, if you're waiting on an order, it WILL ship either today or Monday. It will be a quality product and the jig will be 100% accurate.

If you have been shipped a kit where the holes do not perfectly line up, send me an email with your name and address, and date of receipt of the kit and I will send you return instructions. A new plate and bolt set will be sent to you at no charge. It is my responsibility to correct this.

QUALITY CONTROL

It is impossible to account for certain errors sometimes. We have suppliers that sometimes screw up and the screw ups are so minor that they are not visible but will greatly affect the performance or use of the kit. We will check everything to ensure to the best of our ability that everything is within spec and you will not have problems. From now on, after every 10 plates the jig they are constructed on will be checked for tolerance, wear, etc.

Each kit will contain a production # and manufacture date. I have yet to figure out how to engrave this, but a certificate will be sent with each kit with this information. If there ever is an issue we can track it back to the last time tooling was changed, etc...

THE BIGGEST STEP TO AVOID SUPPLIER ISSUES

Is to become our own supplier and keep a stock of no less than 25 kits on the shelf at once. Certain things we cannot produce but the studs, the alignment plates, any machined part will be produced in my shop.

I know what it's like to have an engine apart and wait for studs. THREE weeks last year I was completely out - nice suppliers huh? They did not care.

PAYPAL

Will no longer be offered as a payment method. The $4k they're sitting on right now that I cannot access would very easily purchase a new set of thread rolls that I need right now- and then some. I can't afford to have money tied up like this. From now on, payment by cert. cheque or VISA/MC over the phone.

ORDER TRACKING

I will rehire a receptionist because I desperately need one. I just got another employee started in the shop. Until then, please send all requests to my email for order tracking.

In all honesty I need to slow down a bit and live differently. I had four hours of sleep for a number of nights in a row and two days ago I slept for about an hour, woke up, and my heart was not beating normally and I was short of breath. I may give up the work on the cars once I get the vehicles finished that I have here at the shop.

Face it, 1.7M+ of these engines have been produced and my shop can only handle currently about 100/year for repair. With a bulletproof method of repair under patent pending status, I need to do WHATEVER it takes to make sure this repair is available to all Cadillac owners and repair shops. It would be a real shame for anyone to have to resort to an inferior threaded insert because I cannot deliver on time.

Everyone please remember I started this with nothing more than $300 and a personal collection of tools (and a 1950's Atlas lathe). I am not a multi-million dollar company that can give away free stuff, eat express shipping costs all the time, etc. Maybe that day will come I don't know-

I will do whatever I can to help my customers and get the ordered kits out the door ASAP, with accurate parts. There are many people that want to see my business fail, many that want it to succeed. I have been called everything under the sun as I'm sure a few of you remember from a voicemail message I posted a link to. It's up to everyone whether they want to believe it or not but I am doing my very best for my customers.

Please bear with me, accurate alignment plates are being constructed right now and orders are beginning to ship again. They are shipping from Winnipeg- I-29 is flooded. This may also pose a delay but that is something I cannot help. I have pictures where my truck is treading water- big time. From Fargo to Grand Forks I-29 has been closed for a few days already. My shop is only 5 miles from the Red River, I'm lucky I haven't been flooded out yet.

I will post more later after the workday and show everyone what I'm up to and what I'm going to be doing to increase production speed and accuracy. UPS and lost shipments- I'm not sure yet how to handle that. 5 lost since December.

I am a Happy and satisfied customer of the Sure Grip studs, everything installed GREAT, for some disgruntled customer who doesnt" have time to send back a $550.00 plus product to have it exchanged and has a problem with the time to send back and shipping cost is a very unprofessional attitude. If by now people don't recognize that JAKE is the real deal I feel sorry for them. This disgruntled person should try dealing with AT&T, UPS, YRS FREIGHT, FREIGHTQUOTE.com, These are some real hard Company's to deal with. My hat is off to my friend Jake and his GREAT STUD kit for the Northstar's, keep your core values always Jake and you will be better off for it than the person that has a sour outlook on life.
Grady

tinylevi
04-18-11, 12:05 AM
As a former tool and die guy, I recommend some simple "Go, No Go" gauges. A thousand troubles can be avoided with them, especially when machining production parts on a regular basis.

ben.gators
04-18-11, 07:04 PM
I got the application form from my U.S. law firm for a USA work visa. I now have to find a suitable shop and rent/lease it before I can apply for a work VISA. It sounds like a pretty sure thing-

That tour of a few U.S. States may come very, very soon now. If all goes well, all stud kits to the USA, will ship from the USA by mid summer. Who knows, they may soon be completely manufactured in the USA.

This is a very good news. Will you do the HG job in the new shop too or it is just for manufacturing the stud kits?

CS15121504
04-18-11, 11:32 PM
If was a business owner i would hire others to work instead bof trying to keep 100% of the profit, so jake stop being so dam greedy and run your business instead of a circus answer the phone calls, emails and return calls there is no excuse for the poor treatment of your customers. If everybody is buying your product you should have the capitol to hire a staff stop being too dammmmmm greeeeedy.

ThumperPup
04-19-11, 12:11 AM

wow Jake great news this is awesome news

92Deville
04-19-11, 10:17 AM
If was a business owner i would hire others to work instead bof trying to keep 100% of the profit.
I always marvel at how fast people will spend someone else's money.

RippyPartsDept
04-19-11, 11:02 AM
amazing isn't it?

(i thought that CS15121504 was joking or being sarcastic)

Submariner409
04-19-11, 01:27 PM
Chris, It's obvious that CS has not gone back in time and read every thread about Northstar Performance: where it came from, how it's growing, and where it's headed.

A simple time snapshot doesn't come remotely close to the full story, and FWIW Jake HAS had receptionists, truck drivers, machine shops, buyers, distributors, and shop help.

I don't want to cast stones, but I believe that UPS and the American/Canadian border regulations are partly to blame for Jake's shipping problems. Not the whole problem, but a fair-sized chunk of the pie.

97EldoCoupe
04-19-11, 01:27 PM
Greed has not a damn thing to do with it.

My former two shop employees John & Charity bought a 97 ETC on payment terms from me - $200/month. It's been 9 months and I have yet to see a payment toward the car. Promises have been made, no payments have been. These were my best friends too. Those were long time friends and employees of mine. I signed the car over, they sold it to someone else and kept the money. You cannot imagine how I felt.

Employees. Find someone trustworthy, hard working, honest, and who can actually tinker with a Northstar and do it right. Good luck. Well, maybe I found him. I'm training him right now.

Receptionists. Very necessary.

Greed. Set up for production. Purchase $10k in new tooling because you need it. I'm sorry, but the new tooling to manufacture the studs is more important right now than paying someone to sit at my desk answering phones. I'm done if I cannot produce those studs myself.

I reviewed an email this morning that basically states I'm losing a $12k/month contract if I can't supply them with studs on time. Who's getting the remainder of my stock? The one-at-a-time customers who order through paypal or by phone with me. Not the company that ordered 40+ sets at once.

I am screwed if I don't get this together.

CS15121504 can try to start a company up with $300 from scratch and turn it into what I have in three years.

My survival depends on long hours, careful juggling of finances, and trying to keep all of the balls in the air at once and not letting one drop.

I am set out to succeed, I have from the beginning, it's just a real shame right now that i cannot always get orders out on time. I'm working on the solution to that one as best as I can.

Thank you all- including CS15121504 for your generous insight.

Submariner409
04-19-11, 01:32 PM
Jake, Clear your mailbox.............Jim

97EldoCoupe
04-19-11, 01:33 PM
To all customers who cannot always get me by phone, or emails I've overlooked, missed, or forgot to respond to, I apologize. Hound me until you get an answer, I invite that, I encourage it, because sometimes that's the only way to get ahold of me. If I see 10 missed calls from this and this number,

"OK something is very important- time to return a phone call!"

226-377-0126 is my new cell # as well. I'll update the site soon. To use iPhone4 in Manitoba I had to switch to an Ontario #. Nuts, I know, but it makes my iPhone work.

97EldoCoupe
04-19-11, 01:39 PM
PM box should be cleared Jim, I didn't delete all msgs but most. If that doens't work, info@northstarperformance.com - goes straight to me.

Thanks

Oh and Rippy sorry I did receive your PM about the jig

89falcon
04-19-11, 02:44 PM
If was a business owner i would hire others to work instead bof trying to keep 100% of the profit, so jake stop being so dam greedy and run your business instead of a circus answer the phone calls, emails and return calls there is no excuse for the poor treatment of your customers. If everybody is buying your product you should have the capitol to hire a staff stop being too dammmmmm greeeeedy.

Or maybe, given the current exchange rate, just double the price, which will put it out of reach of about half his customers....put many more cars in the salvage yard....and have time to take a cruise or two a year.....:rolleyes:

Jake....please don't do that!!

ThumperPup
04-19-11, 04:19 PM
hey Jake David from Power Train here in Ohio
is probably going to be contacting you in the next few weeks
he mention something about doing a job on a Deville hes trying to win a customers business who has alot of cars and wants that account so he said hes probably going to get in contact with you soon
just a heads up so if you see a 440- number on your Caller ID thats him

ThumperPup
04-19-11, 04:20 PM
and hey jake as soon as you do get things going smooth and your feel good enough to leave for a good 4 or 5 days or somehting
take a well deserved cruise man go on vacation
shut your phone off and leave a msg saying gone fishing but seriously get yourself some rest and don't kill yourself if your need a break take it

RippyPartsDept
04-19-11, 05:24 PM
I don't want to cast stones, but I believe that UPS and the American/Canadian border regulations are partly to blame for Jake's shipping problems. Not the whole problem, but a fair-sized chunk of the pie.

We don't ship to Canada for very similar (if not the same) reasons. Management here has basically said that it's not worth our time and effort to deal with customs and brokerage firms for only a small markup that we make on the forum parts sales.

That plus UPS burned us once by sending the brokerage fee invoice a week later after we had already charged the customer what we assumed had the brokerage fees included.

Luckily the Canadians that I have dealt with were near enough to the border that they can pickup their parts on the US side at a MailBoxesETC type place.

My apologies to the Canadians that I haven't been able to help though.

---

Jake, the boss said we can give a couple more percentage points on orders above $500 (which would be about 15 rear main seals or more)... just fyi.

That's not just for Jake folks, that's for everyone... and over $1500 a bit more of a discount even.

So basically orders under $500 are at employee pricing... between $500 and $1500 are 5% less and over $1500 are another 5% less!!

97EldoCoupe
04-19-11, 06:20 PM
Yup I am based in the wrong country. Chris when I move into the USA we will very likely be doing a LOT of business. $1500 worth of rear main seals may be on order soon. List is $94 each in Canada. I pay $75 in MB and $64 in ON with my discounts.

ThumperPup
04-19-11, 07:17 PM
We don't ship to Canada for very similar (if not the same) reasons. Management here has basically said that it's not worth our time and effort to deal with customs and brokerage firms for only a small markup that we make on the forum parts sales.

That plus UPS burned us once by sending the brokerage fee invoice a week later after we had already charged the customer what we assumed had the brokerage fees included.

Luckily the Canadians that I have dealt with were near enough to the border that they can pickup their parts on the US side at a MailBoxesETC type place.

My apologies to the Canadians that I haven't been able to help though.

---

Jake, the boss said we can give a couple more percentage points on orders above $500 (which would be about 15 rear main seals or more)... just fyi.

That's not just for Jake folks, that's for everyone... and over $1500 a bit more of a discount even.

So basically orders under $500 are at employee pricing... between $500 and $1500 are 5% less and over $1500 are another 5% less!!

Chris are you saying just for the rea main seals or is this for all products that you sell in your parts deparment ?

RippyPartsDept
04-19-11, 10:13 PM
all forum parts sales... i should have said "not just for jake and not just for the seals" i guess

ThumperPup
04-19-11, 10:26 PM
all forum parts sales... i should have said "not just for jake and not just for the seals" i guess

ah ok cool
so when i get the struts ill get them for 5 or 10 percent less then employee pricing if i am understanding this correctly
or am i still lost here lol

RippyPartsDept
04-19-11, 10:31 PM
yeah those prices i was quoting you before were the correct prices, i believe... i can double check for you if you want (just send me your VIN again)

ThumperPup
04-19-11, 10:52 PM
yeah those prices i was quoting you before were the correct prices, i believe... i can double check for you if you want (just send me your VIN again)

ok cool i gota get into the safe for the paper work with the vin on it so ill get that in a day or 2 just so we can double check

RippyPartsDept
04-20-11, 08:35 AM
The VIN is on the car in about 100 different places (two very easy to get to - driver's door edge sticker and the corner of the windshield plate)

or your registration ... or your insurance info (like those little wallet sized cards)

worst case scenario you start chopping the car up with torches/cutting wheels/sawzall until you find a piece of of the body or frame with the VIN stamped into it
:thumbsup:

00 Deville
04-20-11, 10:51 AM
worst case scenario you start chopping the car up with torches/cutting wheels/sawzall until you find a piece of of the body or frame with the VIN stamped into it

I'll give you hand with that pup.

ThumperPup
04-27-11, 10:58 AM
The VIN is on the car in about 100 different places (two very easy to get to - driver's door edge sticker and the corner of the windshield plate)

or your registration ... or your insurance info (like those little wallet sized cards)

yeah but that would be 2 dammm easy to find it that way lol
and my INS card stays in my car never take it out
and welll i was to sick to go outside and check

now im not sick anymore and still to lazy to walk out with a pad and pen to wrigh ti tdown lol

ThumperPup
04-27-11, 10:58 AM
I'll give you hand with that pup.

yeah shure only if im getting ready to call the INS after and not talkign about imogration all thought there is a few id like to call them on lol

RippyPartsDept
04-27-11, 12:21 PM
it's a good idea to keep the ins. card in your wallet actually

that way you will have at least one form of 'proof of ownership' if you lock your keys in you car or lose your keys

you will need one of the three forms of 'proof of ownership' along with a govt issued photo ID to get a key cut at a dealer using GM's master keycode file (the keycode the car was built with at the factory)
those three forms 'proof of ownership' are:

title
registration
insurance

the name and address listed on the 'proof of ownership' must match your info on your ID
as long as that all checks out any GM dealer can look up your keycode
(we only get 5 keycode requests per day though)

so...

don't be so lazy
keep your insurance card in your wallet

end thread-jack

ThumperPup
04-27-11, 03:20 PM
ill keep that in mind

i don't have problems with looseing keys i have 3 keys for the car plus i have the master key that has no chip i keep that outisde in a hide away key thing so if i ever get locked out i don't have to worry but i also keep 2 keys on me
a friend who owns a used car lot his father tought me when i was younger always keep 2 keys to every car you drive on you incase you loose your keys you always have a loose key in your pocket
i use a
bobby pin and clip it into the bottom of one of my pants pockets incase anything ever happens

the dealers near me must be breaking laws ruels or something
cause they never ask for proofe when going to cut a key
my dad has gone in twice to have his key cut ones for the lincoln and ones for the jeep
i don't think he ever had to show any proofe of owner ship for them to get the key code and cut it so they probably don't care about that stuff here you would be suprised what dealers in thsi area would do

ThumperPup
04-27-11, 03:32 PM
Hey Chris just tried to send you a PM with a part number i needed
your Inbox is full

iv got the part number just wanted a price was going to call up on Friday or Monday with credit card info and all unless you are able to use the info still on file from last purchase ?

here is the part number
had the price stored in my PM box but cleared it out by acident a few weeks ago

GM Part Number 25693996

RippyPartsDept
04-27-11, 04:14 PM
yeah i just cleared my in/out boxes ... check your PMs Pup

RippyPartsDept
04-27-11, 04:17 PM
the policy w/ the keycodes is a GM policy ... started around 2006

just before it went into effect the local news team went around to all the dealers trying to get keys cut for cars they didn't own in a sort of sting operation

one of the dealers got busted big time but most of the others at least wanted some sort of proof

we do get a lot of people frustrated about the hassle (they're already upset since they're in the position of having to get a key cut by code)
but also lots of people thank us and understand that it really is good for the safety of their car

ThumperPup
04-27-11, 04:52 PM
id also think with GM that would not be a big problem lock outs or lost keys
can't Onstar start a car for someone if they don't have there key ?
or is it they can let you in the car to get your spare key i forget but i thout they could start it but maybe i was thinking another car brand hmm

yeah good saftey procedures for gm to take
you know right now
not going to say it on the board but ill say one of the 3 cadillac dealers in the NE Ohio area
won't ask for any proof of anyting so if they did a string today atleast 1 of them would get busted and its one that is only a half mile from my house lol

Destroyer
04-29-11, 11:17 PM
Jake, take a breather and don't get so stressed out. You are providing and invaluable service for this community and I think everyone realizes that. Of course you will get some sh*t for faulty product whether it's your fault or not but it's all part of the game. Nothing ever goes as planned but you got to hang in there and do what you do best. Nothing but respect for you bro. :thumbsup:

97EldoCoupe
05-01-11, 12:41 AM
Thank you Destroyer! If I'm ever in FL can I possibly look you up and see your collection of fine vehicles? Also I am under the impression that you have warehouse space- any square footage for rent? Part of the USA visa application requires that I have a facility secured already.

Destroyer
05-02-11, 10:00 PM
Thank you Destroyer! If I'm ever in FL can I possibly look you up and see your collection of fine vehicles? Also I am under the impression that you have warehouse space- any square footage for rent? Part of the USA visa application requires that I have a facility secured already.I don't own any warehouses Jake but I do rent some and could probably find you something. I own houses and apartments as rentals. My business has come down a bit. I had over 16,000 sq feet of space, now down to 4k. Sucks.

97EldoCoupe
05-04-11, 02:18 PM
I just made a quick trip to North Texas. I met Tony at North Texas Performance and came up through Terre Haute, Indiana and met BJ over at Fuson Cadillac.

The Florida trip might take a bit longer. I'm fighting with trying to cash a large check I picked up from the company who builds the remanufactured Northstars for General Motors. Banks between the USA and Canada do not communicate so well. I'm stuck with a 5 figure check that I cannot do anything with for 30 days because of "We hold U.S. checks for 30 days in case of fraud" -

This was payment toward my suppliers and now I'm stuck yet again. Whatever happened to banks making phone calls to verify funds, or even trust for that matter? Every day a new fight about something.

PonyboyT - if you read this, the company that built the engine in your STS, is now studding all of their Northstars. They were having too many crack during assembly (before even leaving their shop) so they gave up building Northstars for a while. They showed me through their operation on Monday and it is HUGE

Speedygman
05-04-11, 05:52 PM
Jake,
At the junction of I75/I475/I16 in Middle Georgia, Bolingbroke to be exact 1000 feet from entrance both north and south, south of Atlanta airport 45 miles, good weather year round, except for occasional tornado, there are some new warehouse type buildings with adjoining paint and body shop high end type, muscle car sales warehouse, custom motorcycle warehouse, light industrial no problem for 3 phase power, all utilities, etc great place to ship from.Tommy Campbell Collision Center
6209 US Highway 41 SMacon, GA 31210, (478) 994-2134 contact owner. Cheap rent in this area and labor rates.
Grady

Bucketokarma
05-05-11, 12:13 PM
@97eldocoupe: I tried to PM you but I do not have the post count required to be able to PM yet. I did post my question in the forum though.

RippyPartsDept
05-05-11, 12:33 PM
I do not have the post count required to be able to PM yet.

i think it's only ten posts required to get PM privileges ... you're only two away....

ThumperPup
05-05-11, 02:34 PM
i think it's only ten posts required to get PM privileges ... you're only two away....

now hes down to just 1 away

Bucketokarma
05-05-11, 02:38 PM
Lol... thanks. I guess I might be able to now that I put up the post that included my PM anyway. :lol:

ThumperPup
05-05-11, 07:05 PM
Lol... thanks. I guess I might be able to now that I put up the post that included my PM anyway. :lol:

yoooo you r up to 13 your on your way to being a post whore LOL

ponyboyt
05-06-11, 11:14 AM
I just made a quick trip to North Texas. I met Tony at North Texas Performance and came up through Terre Haute, Indiana and met BJ over at Fuson Cadillac.

The Florida trip might take a bit longer. I'm fighting with trying to cash a large check I picked up from the company who builds the remanufactured Northstars for General Motors. Banks between the USA and Canada do not communicate so well. I'm stuck with a 5 figure check that I cannot do anything with for 30 days because of "We hold U.S. checks for 30 days in case of fraud" -

This was payment toward my suppliers and now I'm stuck yet again. Whatever happened to banks making phone calls to verify funds, or even trust for that matter? Every day a new fight about something.

PonyboyT - if you read this, the company that built the engine in your STS, is now studding all of their Northstars. They were having too many crack during assembly (before even leaving their shop) so they gave up building Northstars for a while. They showed me through their operation on Monday and it is HUGE

i finaly have a 2 post hoist :)

Both engines made by "that company" are coming out this week. The one manufactured Nov-01 is mostly ready to be unbolted (from my pearl 97... sad to see her go, but shes done). The other, in my 98 that shattered a piston, will come out a bit later. Ill be looking hard for cracks, but my 97 ran great when i fired it up last week. Actualy... it ran amazing, no leaks and quiet as hell up front.

97EldoCoupe
05-24-11, 10:05 PM
Update. I haven't been on here much lately. After a week of the flu and a stud shortage I find things are incredibly hectic.

Since I made the first studs on a 1950's era Atlas Lathe, things have come a long way. We're back into stud production now, production stud #1 came off the lathe for the first time yesterday. Rolled threads on both ends, high grade chromoly steel, threads smooth as silk. One drawback - production time. The diameter reduction is taking the most time up right now so there's one set of tools left that I'm still waiting for $9500 worth of German engineered cutting tools to come in. Apparently I will be able to reduce diameters at speeds up to 300 feet per minute. I doubt it but even a tenth of that would do wonders.

The stud shortage continues, I have a couple orders going out tomorrow but I expect 50 sets of studs to arrive in a few days.

I appreciate everyone's patience and understanding- things are developing quickly (but never soon enough). The stud produced yesterday is shiny, smooth, threads into the block with two fingers. Hardness is coming in at the right number on the Rockwell scale. This beats everything any other company has ever produced for me.

I expect the shortages and difficulties to end very, very soon now. A new office is under contruction for the new receptionist that's being hired. The USA shipping location/shop project is on a temporary halt until everythings up and running with stud production. Focus is all on priority #1 right now - make sure I can supply everyone with the best quality product, on time.

Special guages, measuring tools, and some test equipment is being built to keep quality standards high and to make sure nobody ever has an issue with a stud kit. As soon as that tooling comes in we're 100% up and running again and we will have plenty of stock on the shelf to ensure same day shipping.

Thank you all, Sub, Ranger, JoeTahoe, everybody for all of your help and continued support. Thank you.

89falcon
05-24-11, 10:34 PM
Update. I haven't been on here much lately. After a week of the flu and a stud shortage I find things are incredibly hectic.

Since I made the first studs on a 1950's era Atlas Lathe, things have come a long way. We're back into stud production now, production stud #1 came off the lathe for the first time yesterday. Rolled threads on both ends, high grade chromoly steel, threads smooth as silk. One drawback - production time. The diameter reduction is taking the most time up right now so there's one set of tools left that I'm still waiting for $9500 worth of German engineered cutting tools to come in. Apparently I will be able to reduce diameters at speeds up to 300 feet per minute. I doubt it but even a tenth of that would do wonders.

The stud shortage continues, I have a couple orders going out tomorrow but I expect 50 sets of studs to arrive in a few days.

I appreciate everyone's patience and understanding- things are developing quickly (but never soon enough). The stud produced yesterday is shiny, smooth, threads into the block with two fingers. Hardness is coming in at the right number on the Rockwell scale. This beats everything any other company has ever produced for me.

I expect the shortages and difficulties to end very, very soon now. A new office is under contruction for the new receptionist that's being hired. The USA shipping location/shop project is on a temporary halt until everythings up and running with stud production. Focus is all on priority #1 right now - make sure I can supply everyone with the best quality product, on time.

Special guages, measuring tools, and some test equipment is being built to keep quality standards high and to make sure nobody ever has an issue with a stud kit. As soon as that tooling comes in we're 100% up and running again and we will have plenty of stock on the shelf to ensure same day shipping.

Thank you all, Sub, Ranger, JoeTahoe, everybody for all of your help and continued support. Thank you.

I know you're busy, but I've got a really quick Q.....
are the N* heads "beefy" enough to drill to accept larger diameter bolts/studs?....ie could you drill the holes to accept maybe a 13mm std vs an 11mm one?

johnnyjaws
06-01-11, 01:27 AM
i bought your stud kit also i had to wait 1 month for it but it was worth it motor runs great .ill be grtting more stud bolts nut & washers from you because im now doing northstar repair my shop is Rust 2 RICHES Restoration. in Newburgh NY e mail johnnyjaws@verizon.net 845 542 3788 ask 4 john.

97EldoCoupe
06-02-11, 01:09 PM
Johnny those delays will be over soon. I can't apologize enough to my customers for the delays but I've come to an impass- either the studs are produced in my own shop or they are going to be taken off the market. I can't deal with supplier issues anymore- costs so high to produce it almost makes the stud kits unprofitable and the ship issues with UPS further reduces profit margin. I was doing better when I was completely focused on the vehicle repairs rather than the stud kits.

90% ready to mass produce these studs in our own shop. Enough pre-hardened steel was delivered yesterday to produce 1000 of these (50 engines worth). The turning head is the last missing piece.

Nevertheless, I started this, I did the patent applications on this and in pending status, I plan on seeing this through.

Please understand everyone I am doing my very best including two forum members who have ordered engines from me. One is scheduled for a delivery this weekend and the other one is being built.

A U.S. shop/shipping location seems to be the only way to keep this business alive and running smooth so you may see another post very soon regarding a new U.S. shop. I almost bought a shop in Illinois on very nice payment terms but that didn't pan out.

Speedygman
06-02-11, 08:01 PM
Jake, Best of luck with opening a shop in the USA.

97EldoCoupe
06-02-11, 10:32 PM
Thanks Grady, it looks like an incredibly expensive venture but it appears it's the only way to go. Would you like a new neighbor? I'll buy the beer and steak if you supply the barbecue :)

Ranger
06-02-11, 10:48 PM
I almost bought a shop in Illinois
No kidding? Where?

Speedygman
06-02-11, 11:45 PM
There is a place waiting on you to lease or buy in BolingBroke Ga. Located I75/I16/I475 65 miles south of the Atlanta Air Port, we got the food covered, no problem.

RippyPartsDept
06-03-11, 09:02 AM
I'd like to take this time to nominate Wilmington, NC ... we have beer and BBQ also!

vincentm
06-03-11, 09:09 AM
I'll throw in my hat for Tri-Cities WA, hot summers, just gotta watch the black ice in the winter

epetrillo
06-03-11, 08:52 PM
Please understand everyone I am doing my very best including two forum members who have ordered engines from me. One is scheduled for a delivery this weekend and the other one is being built.

Any chance that the one scheduled for delivery this weekend is mine? :2thumbs:

Emilio

dvo816
06-06-11, 12:51 PM
Im pretty sure that engine delivery was going to be mine, however i guess there are problems with Customs.

98eldo32v
06-06-11, 03:41 PM
Johnny those delays will be over soon. I can't apologize enough to my customers for the delays but I've come to an impass- either the studs are produced in my own shop or they are going to be taken off the market. I can't deal with supplier issues anymore- costs so high to produce it almost makes the stud kits unprofitable and the ship issues with UPS further reduces profit margin. I was doing better when I was completely focused on the vehicle repairs rather than the stud kits.

90% ready to mass produce these studs in our own shop. Enough pre-hardened steel was delivered yesterday to produce 1000 of these (50 engines worth). The turning head is the last missing piece.

Nevertheless, I started this, I did the patent applications on this and in pending status, I plan on seeing this through.

A U.S. shop/shipping location seems to be the only way to keep this business alive and running smooth so you may see another post very soon regarding a new U.S. shop. I almost bought a shop in Illinois on very nice payment terms but that didn't pan out.

SHOP IN THE U.S.? WHEN? HOW SOON?

WHAT'S THE STORE HOURS?
HOW DO I GET THERE?
IS IT READY JAKE?

I feel it will happen for you Jake. Just hang in there.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

LOL, I can here those questions asked all day.......

97EldoCoupe
06-08-11, 11:34 PM
Ranger, this was very close to Champaign, Illinois in a small town. Super low taxes and an apartment attatched (low overhead).

dvo816 and epetrillo:

dvo816 ordered first and the minute I have clearance I'm delivering it personally to Devin. This will be quicker than freight.

Epetrillo- yours is in the build process. I expect to be shipping it by the 16th of June. Heads are done, they're travelling wth me through Missouri to Ontario Canada where the bottom end is waiting. Remember the cracked blocks I've encountered? I'm fresh out of blocks and have three good ones sitting at the Ontario shop. I am barely sleeping anymore, the most time I've taken off was this past hour or so on the Caddy Forums. I have to stay on top of things here sometimes too.

I thank you both for your patience, I know it is unacceptable, I am doing what I can to speed everything up. I hope to build a few engines soon to have them sitting on the shelf, ready for shipping when an order comes in. For right now it's build-to-order.

mmidyette
06-09-11, 07:43 PM
I'd like to take this time to nominate Wilmington, NC ... we have beer and BBQ also!

I second that motion. NC is on I-95 centrally located along the East Coast. People from New England to Florida have access without having to pass any major hills, unless they have to navigate the Smokey Mountains.

And, its a heck of a lot closer for me;)

This may be well out of your price range, http://www.hilton-realty.com/18610-ft-elizabethtown-595000/

97EldoCoupe
06-09-11, 09:12 PM
Oh yeah definitely out of my price range but that is a very nice commerical property. My home and shop here in Southern Manitoba was only about half that, on 7 acres. But prime locations also mean prime $$$$. I can't swing a mortgage that high right now, but maybe in a few years.

Please keep the suggestions coming, I have to rent a shop to apply for the work VISA- so that's step #1. I can't rent anything until I have a location selected. Illinois was a pretty decent decision I thought but at the same time, I don't want to be in competition with Midwest Cadillac Repair either.

I have two states in mind that seem to really have potential, TX and FL. MI and NY are the next two so far on my thoughts list. But NC wouldn't be a bad choice at all....

JoeTahoe
06-10-11, 06:43 AM
New York I need a cadillac buddy!!!!!!!!

RippyPartsDept
06-10-11, 10:05 AM
what size place are you in need of? there's a few industrial park type areas surrounding the airport in town here (my roomate rented one a few years back for his cabinet business... fairly cheap but might be too small for you)

97EldoCoupe
06-10-11, 10:18 AM
chris I'm in 4032 sq. ft. here in Manitoba. I have about 5000 sq. ft. in Ontario still. I'd hate to move into less but I think I could make do with less. What price do you know?

RippyPartsDept
06-10-11, 11:25 AM
http://wilmington.craigslist.org/off/2428541425.html
my roomates place was in one of these units - totally open though... no interior walls... same size unit though (i think)

so it's 2000sqft for $1000 i guess

http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/MainSite/Listing/Profile/Profile.aspx?LID=17053242&SRID=1753667503&StepID=101&LinkCode=20280
there's another in the same office park... 3000sqft for $1500 ...

just around the corner from that spot is this property
http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/MainSite/Listing/Profile/Profile.aspx?LID=16684843&SRID=1753675351&StepID=101&LinkCode=20280
four different spaces... you'll probably only want the smaller 'space 4' with 5,000 sqft for around $2000/mo

Submariner409
06-10-11, 11:25 AM
All up and down I-95, in small towns nearby but bypassed by the highway, there are dozens of large and small car dealership properties for sale or lease, as well as 4 to 8 thousand square foot small business buildings, both single and in strip malls.

The Carolinas and Georgia - maybe Southern Virginia - would be more business and tax friendly than Maryland. Maryland is a tax&spend cesspool. Keep out !!

Go online and Google stuff like business tax, property tax, business atmosphere.....and consider that lower VA, NC, SC, and GA are not only well serviced by highways and express shippers, they are also the hotbeds of NASCAR. Laugh if you want, but the "good ol' boys" atmosphere still carries a LOT of weight in the automotive fields.

vincentm
06-10-11, 11:51 AM
chris I'm in 4032 sq. ft. here in Manitoba. I have about 5000 sq. ft. in Ontario still. I'd hate to move into less but I think I could make do with less. What price do you know?

What about properites here in SE Washington. Properties are low here, and there's alot of eldo and other caddy owners here just in the tri cities.

-------------------------------------------------------
Sent from my Northstar powered phone

RippyPartsDept
06-10-11, 12:16 PM
i'm pretty sure that the property listed in post #73 was a former GM dealership

92Deville
06-10-11, 12:19 PM
How about Salt Lake City, Utah. I will be your first customer :D

mmidyette
06-10-11, 12:59 PM
i'm pretty sure that the property listed in post #73 was a former GM dealership

Chris,

I believe it started out as a new Ford dealership. When they closed, our local GM dealer moved to that location. They were bought out by a bigger dealer who later, also, closed it. It has been empty for, what seems like, at least a year. :ill:

RippyPartsDept
06-10-11, 03:08 PM
yeah, the name sounded familiar and the way the name was on the building just made me think GM dealer

tigers2007
06-11-11, 12:00 AM
Jake remember to file for either a E-2 or L-1A visa with US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). You probably just can't show up to the border with a truckload of tools and say, "Hey I'm coming here to open up a business and work here" since you are a foreign national -- its illegal to work in the US without status. Granted, the fact that you want to invest money in the USA and probably employ US citizens should help your case with USCIS. As far as the border patrol, you should have your ducks lined up in a row BEFORE crossing in (i.e. have authorization from USCIS to move your crap in here and also a commercial entry for your tools). If you get an immigration lawyer, expect to pay several thousand; probably in excess of $10k to $20k. Try to see if you can file the forms yourself. Many things are "self service" with USCIS. Still consider their fees, for instance, to file an I-829 it is $3750 USD plus $85 per person LOL! Money talks with USCIS; if you are a major investor in US commerce, then they seem to put you ahead of others waiting in line for that sweet smelling green card.

dvo816
06-11-11, 01:47 PM
I just received my rebuilt motor! I had to wait a lil bit longer than expected but it was well worth it. Thank you so much Jake, it was a pleasure meeting you and your father. Too bad you had to leave so soon cuz I definitely would have bought some beers! I'll let you know how she runs when the shop gets it done. Take care buddy

Hogg
06-12-11, 10:03 AM
Jake remember to file for either a E-2 or L-1A visa with US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). You probably just can't show up to the border with a truckload of tools and say, "Hey I'm coming here to open up a business and work here" since you are a foreign national -- its illegal to work in the US without status. Granted, the fact that you want to invest money in the USA and probably employ US citizens should help your case with USCIS. As far as the border patrol, you should have your ducks lined up in a row BEFORE crossing in (i.e. have authorization from USCIS to move your crap in here and also a commercial entry for your tools). If you get an immigration lawyer, expect to pay several thousand; probably in excess of $10k to $20k. Try to see if you can file the forms yourself. Many things are "self service" with USCIS. Still consider their fees, for instance, to file an I-829 it is $3750 USD plus $85 per person LOL! Money talks with USCIS; if you are a major investor in US commerce, then they seem to put you ahead of others waiting in line for that sweet smelling green card.

I would tend to agree, except for the "sweet smelling" part, but I'm sure it is a lot sweeter than 95% of the world.

USCIS is giving green cards away to Canadians with the "right" stuff. If you have can provide any essential service the prcess is greatly expedited.

If you want to be a US Navy SEAL, you have to renounce your Canadian citizenship and become 100% American, no dual citizenships allowed. There is no way I would renounce my Canadian status.

peace
Hog

97EldoCoupe
06-14-11, 09:35 PM
I'm still trying to figure all of this out. All I know is that I used to be doing so much better financially just doing the vehicle repairs.

I am getting a lot of threats of infringement on the patent pending repair products/process I developed and I will do whatever it takes to protect this. I look forward to updating everyone on this site within the next 30 days regarding a new U.S. shipping location. This location will be staffed with a receptionist who will take orders and assist me. Eventually a shop will open in the USA as well.

I will help Northstar owners as long as they support me. I'm going through a rough time right now with a few things- but I will deliver as promised and stick around to help Cadillac owners.

The new location will be revealed soon and ship times for stud kits will be cut down substancially. All shops doing installs for stud kits will be required to write down vehicle serial #s and owners of these vehicles must fill out a form with us to either get extended warranty or a mail-in-rebate. This step will be taken because of the high level of infringement threats and the fact that I believe at least two-three shops have begun to produce their own studs. I cannot stand behind something my shop did not produce. Stud kits will soon have sequencial serial numbers engraved.

I will update everyone soon. Thank you.

98eldo32v
06-15-11, 12:25 AM
wow, it's getting ugly fast...

97EldoCoupe
06-15-11, 07:39 AM
How so?

vincentm
06-15-11, 11:44 AM
http://www.homesandland.com/Real_Estate/WA/City/Richland/ListingId/16868517.html

http://looplink.natl.remax.com/xNet/Looplink/Profile/Profile.aspx?stid=remax&LID=15937502&LL=true&PinProfile=true&UOMListing=&UOMMoneyCurrency=&RentPer=PY&SRID=1766375957

http://www.skrealtors.com/property/property.asp?PRM_MLSNumber=172939&PRM_MlsName=TCARMLS

(http://www.homesandland.com/Real_Estate/WA/City/Richland/ListingId/16868517.html)

97EldoCoupe
06-15-11, 01:25 PM
Nice.

FL is a very tempting state. WA is another one with no state income tax. Gotta move to a place worthwhile. I'll have it figured out very soon. I think I may be renting a shop in Pembina, ND that will suffice for a little while until I have a state selected.

Here is why it's the USA or nothing.

$207 to express ship a kit from Canada. Reason for express shipment? I had this message when I logged into my UPS account:

Richmond, VA, United States 06/02/2011 1:23 Merchandise is missing UPS will notify the sender with additional details / All merchandise missing, empty carton was discarded UPS will notify the sender with details of the damage

Now. I value everything below the actual cost to produce, just to get these kits across the border hassle free. So to file a claim with UPS on a stud kit worth $500, I have to claim the amount declared on the paperwork. So if UPS loses a package, I get less than $200 back after a butt-load of paperwork and headaches. If I claim the original sale amount for insurance purposes, everything gets checked at customs as a high value shipment and duties, taxes, brokerage fees, all get charged on top. My customers cannot stand incurring these charges. I can opt to pay them, but costs go up.

If I set up a shipping location in the USA, shipping will be cheaper, faster, half of the U.S. made goods won't even have to cross a border, I can declare original value to UPS, and I may have to charge customers in the USA tax from that point on like I do in Canada, but at a much lower sales tax rate, + it will benefit the USA's economy.

I've shipped out too many kits at a loss lately, the above shipment was one of them.

97EldoCoupe
06-15-11, 01:28 PM
And yes, I've considered Fed-Ex. Fed-Ex express/overnight rates are actually worse :(

I have an account with them, may have to try them again. 6 lost packages since the beginning of the year.

vincentm
06-15-11, 01:41 PM
The Tri-Cities here is cheeeeap and lots of land to build your own place, lots of land..

RippyPartsDept
06-15-11, 03:33 PM
as far as I understand it, you don't have to charge tax if it's getting shipped out of state... so only people in ND will have to pay ND sales tax

00 Deville
06-15-11, 03:53 PM
:yeah: Sales tax would only be charged if it is shipped "in state" or to a state that your company has a physical presence in (store, office, warehouse).

97EldoCoupe
06-15-11, 04:41 PM
That's straightforward and simple. So if I base my company in a state where most of my business is going to be sent out of state, that will cut down on costs to customers and paperwork. I've only sold about 2-3 kits to ND to date. ND is actually the least populous state in the USA (maybe for a reason).

00 Deville
06-15-11, 05:22 PM
So if I base my company in a state where most of my business is going to be sent out of state, that will cut down on costs to customers and paperwork.

Correct... you can read more on sales tax rules below. Technically the purchaser is supposed to pay sales or use tax for out of state online purchases... this is normally done on the yearly state tax return... since there is no way for the states to easily track these purchases... It's up to the consumer to self report. I would be surprised if the self-reported collection rate was higher than 2%.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/sales-tax-internet-29919.html

tigers2007
06-23-11, 11:33 PM
Jake why don't you look into hiring some sort of broker or even parts distributor to stock your items in the USA. Then you can fill a U-Haul with them, make formal entry with US Customs, and have them legally sitting in a secure insured warehouse location here in the USA. I deal with international shipping everyday and I don't understand why you have so much trouble with Canada-to-USA shipments; especially UPS-Express!! They should be wiping your butt!

Hell, I've received items from Hong Kong OVERNITE un-adulterated several times. A buddy of mine used to keep a large inventory of expensive devices at a FedEx warehouse at Atlanta Hartsfield Airport. Even though his company and warehouses are here in Michigan, if I customer wanted something overnight or even same day, FedEx would open his cage up at their ATL based warehouse, slap a label on it, and it would be on an airplane within an hour. Never had a problem. That example is quite extreme and pricey but is still waaaaay cheaper than what you're paying now. It is perfectly legal for you to own a company here in the US. Do you have an family here legally in the US that you can pay a few bucks to slap shipping labels on pre-packaged inventory kits? Just keep a supply at their house. Just remember to make proper formal entry when you're bringing that stuff into the USA. If US Customs detects shenannigans, they seize everything and make you pay outrageous fines. Same goes for shipping stuff back to Canada.

Submariner409
06-24-11, 09:57 AM
In a similar vein, I have been dealing with Bryston Canada (high end stereo) through Vermont for 17 years, and never a hitch - large boxes go and come unopened - just a customs sticker on the outside.

..............and Jake and I conducted some car/engine parts exchange business a year ago, and there were no problems either way then, either.

totpkg
06-25-11, 10:03 AM
And yes, I've considered Fed-Ex. Fed-Ex express/overnight rates are actually worse :(

I have an account with them, may have to try them again. 6 lost packages since the beginning of the year.

Try contacting Fedex and request to speak to an account rep ... I know for a fact that they used to provide a discounted
shipping structure, based on volume (or even projected volume). Might be worth a try ...

PS: I too will be needing a stud kit soon (or getting a divorce, wife hates dirving my truck). I had sent an e-mail concerning
local shops or southeastern shops which would do the stud repair for my 2001 ... suggestions?

chp350
06-26-11, 11:12 PM
I have two states in mind that seem to really have potential, TX and FL. MI and NY are the next two so far on my thoughts list. But NC wouldn't be a bad choice at all....

35 miles of the Florida border in Georgia, I have a place I can rent to you.
I'm the guy that talked to you about the 5 sts that I own all needing your studs

97EldoCoupe
06-29-11, 09:38 AM
Thank you all for the suggestions. I have family in West Texas but I'd like to keep them as family. Work with certain friends/family and there can be problems. I offered my cousin a position in this and told him I'd fund a shop in Texas but he'd prefer not to. He just sold his cotton farm recently, don't know what he has planned-

I have rented a shop now in Grand Forks, North Dakota. I will post the physical address soon. While I cannot work there until I get the proper paperwork (law firm dealing with that right now), I can still have someone in Grand Forks handle packaging and stuff. T1-High speed internet connection, well insulated, plenty of room to work on engines when the time comes, etc.

It's all falling into place- one step at a time.

Grand Forks may not be the final destination, but in the mean time, it will serve its purpose. This is a very hard work week for me, I had a car come in from the state of FL with severe fire damage so I'll be changing a lot of parts. Even the rear coil pack is molten pretty bad.

UPS can be ok sometimes, but when they try to deliver a package marked destination "FLORIDA" to an address in WINNIPEG, MANITOBA (on a computer printed label) - it makes you wonder how dumb can they be?

vincentm
06-29-11, 10:23 AM
T-1 i think is 1.5mbps up/1.5mbps down, its a backbone connection, expensive hardware, but definately the way to go for a business. the upload is what's needed.

vincentm
06-29-11, 10:26 AM
ups can be ok sometimes, but when they try to deliver a package marked destination "florida" to an address in winnipeg, manitoba (on a computer printed label) - it makes you wonder how dumb can they be?

ups=oops

97EldoCoupe
07-06-11, 10:51 AM
Update: 06/July/2011.

All tooling is now in stock and set up for production of the studs. The last piece of the operation was something I built, a special turning head that mills down the diameters of the stud while keeping everything dead-on straight and concentric- very important for cylinder head studs.

The last bit of stock from my past supplier is running out quick. I will keep this supplier around for back-up in case we ever have a machine failure that cannot be fixed immediately: but: quality is up, production speed should be around 5 sets per day to start out with. We're running a 6 post turret lathe, production style, it's old but very accurate.

The photo below is the turning head I built in between shipping kits and repairing cars/building engines. My neighbor has a nice milling machine that I owe him a beer or two for letting me use: The tool bits are replaceable and cheap, concentricity is easily achieved with this head and feed speed is approx 5 inches per minute. 3/4" capacity with a possible depth of 8". It weighs around 20 lbs, built out of a solid piece of 5" round steel bar.

With this tool, and the automatic turret feed on the lathe, smooth, concentric, accurate and fast cuts are acheived.

This setup along with the new shipping location in Grand Forks, ND should really help fill orders quickly, efficiently, and with higher quality.

I'll keep posting progress updates in this thread.

97EldoCoupe
07-06-11, 10:54 AM
One nice feature I built into this head is a coolant port- coolant is continuously fed over the carbide cutting edges and I cross-drilled a hole in the backside for compressed air to blow chips out as it cuts. Sometimes, the tool that works best, is the one you build yourself.

Rodya234
07-06-11, 10:59 AM
Hi Jake :wave:

I've never introduced myself before, but if all goes as planned in a week or two, I'll be a customer of yours! :D I just wanted to say I hope everything continues to go well for you, because many, many Cadillac owners, including myself, wouldn't be able to drive these great cars if it weren't for you :thumbsup:

97EldoCoupe
07-06-11, 11:12 AM
Hi Rodya! I look forward to helping you any way I can. Vehicle delivery or stud kit shipment? :)

Thank you for the kind words!

Rodya234
07-06-11, 03:45 PM
It'll be a stud kit order :) Here's the car that's being saved:
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1097/676a0624.jpg

She's a real looker so I'm anxious to get her back on the road :D

97EldoCoupe
07-06-11, 04:20 PM
Beautiful STS! Even the Deville in front of it looks sharp. I'm just real partial to the Eldo's and STS's.

Rodya234
07-06-11, 04:27 PM
Thanks ! :) There's a Deville in front of the STS, another one in front of that one, a wrecked one in front of that one, and another one behind the STS :D We're an all Cadillac family here!

maeng9981
07-07-11, 03:53 AM
Thanks ! :) There's a Deville in front of the STS, another one in front of that one, a wrecked one in front of that one, and another one behind the STS :D We're an all Cadillac family here!

Driveway full of Cadillacs, exactly what I want.... :P

vincentm
07-07-11, 10:17 AM
Driveway full of Cadillacs, exactly what I want.... :P

My next Caddy(s) is/are 96 Fleetwood Brougham, and/or 1984 Coupe Deville

maeng9981
07-07-11, 11:51 AM
My next Caddy(s) is/are 96 Fleetwood Brougham, and/or 1984 Coupe Deville

Big RWD V8 Cadillac is in my wish list also. And when I say big I say cars over 220 inches.

97EldoCoupe
07-20-11, 11:26 PM
I will have some interesting news likely by August 1st that will be posted on the front page of my site as well as in here. It has to do with the North Dakota shop as well as something else I just can't mention right now.

Anyways, here's the address for the USA shop:

Northstar Performance
1232 Rylan Road, Suite 8
Grand Forks, ND

I will have that location staffed soon for parts shipments and stud kits.

Speedygman
07-21-11, 09:13 AM
Jake,
Just as soon as you get the MAIN CRANK studs for sale I would like a set.
Grady

ternstes
07-23-11, 02:30 PM
How long do you think before you will have main studs ready for purchase, Jake? I just broke a main bolt reassembling the half case. So, it is either 20 new bolts or your studs. Would these studs fit the standard threads or would drilling and tapping be required?

98eldo32v
07-23-11, 02:48 PM
Ternstes,

Did you reuse the old bolts?

ternstes
07-23-11, 02:54 PM
Yes, I did. There is not anything in the service manual which says they cannot be reused so I went ahead. I was going to check the new main bearing clearance today but one bolt snapped before it even made it to the first pass of tightening. I was quite surprised! But I was glad that an easy out turned it right back out.

97EldoCoupe
07-23-11, 05:16 PM
It will be soon. I have the thread rolls (for rolled threads) and here's the good news:

UPDATE: 07/23/2011

I have purchased a CNC Turning Center to produce all of the parts of the stud kit. This is a Miyano CNC machine with a 34mm spindle capacity. This combined with my thread rolling set-up, I will be able to produce one set of studs per hour, on-site, in the shop. This machine is equipped with an automatic barfeeder. Any possible part required, any stud, any bolt, any bushing, I can produce with accuracy of .0001". Four decimal places.

My supplier with whom I've done business with since I started this business, has not addressed my quality control concerns even though I have given them ample time, even offered to pay more money for my parts. The reason I have continued to do business with them is 1) They are GOOD people. Best customer service I have ever dealt with, family owned company. 2) They are one of the few who would produce the studs at a cost that made it feasible to sell in kit form to shops and do-it-yourselfers. They have improved certain things over the course of my dealings with them, switched to rolled threads from cut threads, improved their heat-treat process, but I simply cannot afford it anymore to sort through all of the parts and throw 25% out because they don't meet my quality control standards.

I regret to end my business relationship with them but for the price I am paying for the studs, they can have someone in quality control paying more attention.

I have a back up supplier in the USA that produces EXCELLENT quality studs- can't ask for any better- but they hurt me badly when they were 3 weeks behind with an order. That caused big problems- financial problems- and I could not supply the shops at the time who were relying on my company for parts.

I have plenty of stock right now and the machine to be delivered within 2 weeks, and that USA supplier standing by for backup. They are running 2000 pieces for me right now just to ensure that there will be no parts shortages.

Nothing beats in-house production- or in-house quality control at point-of-production. This machine is gently used, and was until now, producing suspension components (bushings & bolts, etc.) for the military Hummers.

This is the machine that will be producing studs and bolts for the rest of the engine as well- bottom end main studs, harmonic balancer bolts, exhaust studs, etc. All the hard to find parts or too expensive to purchase elsewhere.

I didn't want to fire my supplier but I've given them more than ample time to get their act together and produce flawless parts. I don't like sorting through 100 parts and throwing 25 into the "no-go" junk bin. When I raised the quality control concerns all I ever heard was, "We will take care of it" or "must have happened during shipping".

I owe them over $20k still outstanding because of all of this nonsense. I appreciate all they've helped me with, but it was either make this decision or go out of business. I will repay my debt to them but purchasing this machine was necessary so I can pay them what I owe.

That CNC machine is capable of running 24 hours per day and it will do so until I have 100 sets of studs on the shelf as a reserve. There will be no more supplier issues.

Just to go a bit further in depth here, I have been re-machining a lot of parts they have sent me. I have spent days on my manual lathe just correcting their work. Theads on a bolt are not supposed to be tapered- that's for NPT threads not UNC/UNF. Those days spent on the lathe should have been spent under the hood of a customer's car or taking care of customers via phone/email.

I hope this is a step forward and hope this will allow me to better serve my customers. The lathe is CNC and does not need human intervention once the "Run" button is pressed- except to feed more bar-stock into the machine.

Quality is very important to me, but please understand everyone, when banks don't want to lend you money, when VISA and your hard work is the source of funding, nothing can be accomplished overnight. That CNC machine is what I have needed all along.

97EldoCoupe
07-23-11, 05:25 PM
Ternstes- There will be standard size and oversize available - oversize just for those holes that have stripped. How long is "too long of a wait"? - I can produce a set on the manual lathe any time, this will be the first "prototype" set for the bottom end, but don't worry it will not give you any problems, guaranteed-

ternstes
07-23-11, 09:09 PM
Jake, you are awesome and I do not want to inconvenience you in any way, but I could use your main studs today! I am itching to get my 2000 STS running! I drove my friend's 97 STS the other day that we fixed with your studs and just loved it. My main threads are all okay, I just do not trust any of the old bolts now. What kind of pricing are you thinking?

98eldo32v
07-24-11, 12:40 AM
Jake you might as well fire up the machines to make a lower end stud kit pronto. It's either studs on the bottom also or going to get new bolts. Either way reusing the old bolts is asking for trouble.....

97EldoCoupe
07-24-11, 10:41 AM
By tomorrow night or Tuesday morning I will have a ship date ready with pricing available. The studs will be produced from quality steel and will not snap like the factory originals (and at such low torque too!). I don't know where GM had their bottom end bolts produced.....

ternstes
07-24-11, 11:28 AM
Thanks, Jake. I agree with you on these bolts. It was the easiest bolt I have ever drilled through to turn out.

RippyPartsDept
07-24-11, 07:50 PM
btw, when one or two main bolts snap we usually just replace the individual ones but if more snap then we usually replace them all for good measure

at least that's what our main N* guru in the shop usually does

ternstes
07-27-11, 01:24 PM
Jake,

Any updates on your main stud availability and pricing?

97EldoCoupe
07-27-11, 05:51 PM
Give me until tomorrow morning. Have a bit more design work to finish up on that kit. Est. Pricing is $155.00 at present time for the bottom end studs, nuts, and washers. When you're only dealing with one diameter it sure simplifies the machining process. Keep in mind that if an oversized thread repair bottom end kit is released, the cost will need to be higher.

3542310 is the part number for the 19 regular bolts.
3542311 is the part number for the bolt with the stud for the oil pickup tube/screen.

Approx. cost at a GM dealer in the USA (Chris @ Rippy would have a more accurate price for forum members) is $54.80 for all of the bolts. Using studs instead of bolts would have some advantages-

1) the stud threads would be fully engaged in the block before any torque process begins
2) disassembly would not require stud removal (just the nuts)
3) again- no offense to GM or their bolt suppliers- but the bolts should never snap as easy as they do. I would make sure that a better quality steel and correct temper is used.

This estimated pricing applies only to the first product testers. It may go up or down depending on material and maching costs.

I have to do some testing to ensure the stud nuts and washers will seal against the windage tray and not allow any oil pressure to flow past.

Another things to ensure is proper and adequate clearance from the oil pan baffle. I cannot use nuts that are too long so a custom nut may be required. Flange nuts may do a wonderful job.

I will keep everyone updated on the progress of this. If it goes well, studding the bottom end may become a standard thing we do on the Northstars, on the reseal jobs and the remanufactured engines (still debating on the future of that). Nothing worse than torquing that last main bolt and either the bolt snaps or the threads strip out. Nobody wants to disassemble again just to repair one bolt hole/replace a bolt. Then you're messing around again with the bolts you already had tight- I think you get the idea-

vincentm
07-27-11, 06:00 PM
Jake, I've yet to hear from you on a quote for a replacement engine. Been like 3 weeks or so lol

ternstes
07-27-11, 06:34 PM
Jake,
do you want my credit card now or tomorrow? I am onboard with being a tester!

97EldoCoupe
07-29-11, 10:15 AM
The bottom end stud kit is currently in development. I should have photos tonight as far as I know.

97EldoCoupe
08-29-11, 08:58 AM
I'm back. Never really left but some I guess were wondering where I had gone. It's been hectic doing head gasket replacement jobs 24/7- time to catch up on all of my responsibilities-

The CNC turning center is now set up in the shop, bar feeder is next. Rewired the back of my shop for the two lathes, compressor, 25HP phase converter..... Should have it up and running in a couple of days.

Hopefully Jim (Submariner409) has been holding up ok with hurricane Irene and everyone else on the eastern seaboard- wish all of you in that area the best of luck and hope nobody gets injured or suffers damage to houses, Cadillacs, etc....

I'll post pics of the machine soon, a bit more wiring and I should be able to fire the unit up. I transported it back from Ontario personally behind the Sierra (that much invested I'd rather have my eyes on it at all times) and the GMC half-ton seemed to do ok pulling 9600 lbs. Had a trailer tire blow out, but luckily had a spare. The 5.3 is a bit underpowered for a load that heavy on long, steep hills, but it maintained speed most on most grades. Only once the temp guage started to climb (engine) and the trans held a constant temperature for the most part and never spiked past 220 degrees (any hotter would have started to make me nervous).

I wish I would have had this machine over two years ago. I've needed it for so long-

Barbara Babb
08-30-11, 03:41 PM
Now I understand. Sir, I have been reading what others have posted regarding your repairs and I am convinced your shop is the place my overheating Caddy needs to visit.

Any word on how long until ND is up and running, or do I still need to plan to deliver to Canada?

I would love to get my car repaired, but I have two other non-Caddy vehicles to use for transportation, so my schedule is flexible as far as when I can bring it and while I "want" my car fixed, it is not anything pressing for me to require dropping everything to do so at this time.

I cannot bring early if it must go to Canada. Recently transferred to my name means because the state of Minnesota shut down for several weeks in July, that it is still up to 5 weeks until I will receive my title to allow me to cross the border with it. My passport renewal will be in the works by the end of the week.

When you have a moment, let me know what is best, but not to the detriment of your health.

I am a retired US Navy Fleet Diesel Inspector and know the value of a job done correctly versus doing it to get it done. I can wait six months, if needed, but not being any good at being a machinist I figure it is best to let those expert at it do that.

Just let me know if/when ND shop can perform removal and bolt/seal to car or when it is best to send to you in Canada. Bear in mind, I cannot deliver once snows start flying because I will be towing on U-Haul trailer.

As I said, though. Your health comes first, my car can wait until everything is set, just let me know approx when that may be so I can plan to deliver then.

Respectfully

Barbara

MoistCabbage
08-31-11, 03:08 PM
Hey Jake. Unsure if you've gotten my emails, but I have a couple questions regarding final payment and shipping. Email me when you get a chance.

97EldoCoupe
09-01-11, 11:40 PM
Barbara, I will be very happy to repair your Cadillac at either the North Dakota location (as long as the paperwork comes in on time) or in Manitoba, but I have to look after a few others first including moistcabbage above.

Aaron- I have not read emails for a while but I glanced at yours real quick (love the photo!) and I owe you a quick delivery of that Northstar. I may have some good news for you but I cannot say until I know for sure. I sincerely appreciate your patience. I will respond this weekend sometime-

Thank you.

MoistCabbage
09-02-11, 08:00 PM
Thanks Jake, No worries. You have my email address and phone number whenever you get a free minute.

Barbara Babb
09-03-11, 09:56 PM
Thank you, sir!

Made my day!

Please remember that while I would like it repaired, there really is no hurry. As I said, the title is at least 5 weeks away and passport is about 2 weeks out.

If ND repair may be an option, it works even better and I can wait for that if it is close (say within 6 months). Patience is a small thing if I believe it is going to be fixed right the first time and that is what I believe from everything I have read and what others have said about your work and your product.

I had been considering purchasing a used engine to send, for the stud kit installation and seals, but after pricing a few and not knowing the history of the engine, care, etc.....still an option, if needed, but not first choice.

I am confident my engine should be in decent shape. It never reached limp mode and did not go over 240 degrees with me which I immediately reduced what I could to drop the temps quickly. It only reached it once and briefly. No limp mode, no stopping of the A/C compressor, and oil change performed the day before, resetting the oil life percentage still shows 99%.

Just let me know at your earliest convenience when/where, etc.

I can be patient with other vehicles, don't drive it in the winter anyhow. Can start it to circulate oil, etc. Keeping maintainer on the battery to keep the system charged. It is inside and enclosed out of the weather (but the dirt seems to creep in everywhere anyhow!

B

MoistCabbage
09-07-11, 02:38 PM
Jake, the shop called today, they're getting itchy about my car sitting there. Do you have an approximate date for delivery, or any progress update that I can relay to them?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxRawben
09-07-11, 05:54 PM
I've been reading this thread as I may now have an overheating issue and am not completely sure of the reason why.

Thought I'd pass along information to Jake - Jake you need a Virtual Assistant. Someone to handle your phones, emails, internet, forum postings, etc. which can all be done Virtually. Personally, I don't provide these services but can point you in the direction of where you can find someone or submit a RFP (Request for Proposal) for one at no cost. It's a thought and maybe just what you need to keep you organized let alone allow you to do what you do best and not deal with all the admin stuff. Good luck!

97EldoCoupe
09-09-11, 02:16 PM
No I need a real assistant, to handle the office. That day is coming. All non-essential services had been removed to finance (pay for) the CNC turning center. Now that that's been done I see things progressing nicely soon.

I know it's frustrating when you call my office and nobody responds. Not to be rude at all but right now I have to choose between the phones being answered or the work getting done that's on the list right now.

Aaron- I will have a rough date for you on Monday- call or text me Monday please-

This business has overtaken me. There is no way in hell I can run it on my own anymore so here's the plan:

1. Hire more employees including a receptionist (two if need be)
2. Make more processes of the repairs automated and fool-proof
3. Ensure there's enough stock to supply everyone
4. Keep regular work hours. All work and no play...... I love my job but I still need time for the other things in life sometimes.
5. Increase efficiency. Period. The more efficient a business runs the better it is for everyone.
6. Increase feedback. Again- that's where the receptionists come in.
7. Appoint a Vice-President so that if something happens to me, someone can fill my place immediately and ensure it's business as usual.

I've been going through a rough time lately, I know it's frustrating right now for my customers just please allow me the space to get back on my feet. Thoughts of giving up have crossed my mind many times but I've never been a quitter, I sure as hell am not going to start now.

I'll keep y'all posted.

ThumperPup
09-09-11, 02:49 PM
Jake when i say this
i think we all agree
maybe you just need to take a vacation once you do find someone to run the office and someone you trust that can handled the repairs and get the ball rolling take a vacation do what you need to
even if its before that
take a 1 week go to the beach if thats yoru think
or go to a ski resort in the winter if thats your thing
but give yourself a vacation you need it

MoistCabbage
09-10-11, 01:01 AM
Jake, I lost all hope of a speedy repair since I was told my HG's had failed (which turned out to be a cracked head). When the shop told me there was a problem with the new gaskets fitting over the straightened studs, I lost all expectations of having the car back before the end of summer. I know you're busy, and completely understand why. I wouldn't even had bothered asking how much longer it would be, if the shop hadn't asked for an update. My car has been there for MUCH longer than anyone had anticipated, and with the cradle removed, is far from easy to move around.

I don't want you to feel as if I am rushing you, I just don't want to run into any problems with the shop. I will call and text you on Monday. Thanks again.

Aaron

eyekantbeme
09-10-11, 06:48 PM
Jake, I ordered a stud kit on 08/23 I dont know if youve been up to date on the shipments....I know, Im in California, but Im assuming they should have arrived by now. If you havent shipped it out yet, then I guess forget it, I think Im getting a 4runner lol, and Ill throw over the caddy to either sumone who knows what theyre doing, or to the tax deduction gods.

SO let me know.......and If anyone in California needs a kit I (might) have one, I dont want to inflate or deflate the price on it, but if anyone is willing to drive or even fly to come get it, Im hoping itll be here. If it's not and your that backed up. Then dont send the kit out, we'll worry about the money in due time, just stop the shipment for now. It's been way too long and Im getting rid of my baby, my caddy :\

Thanks!

btw my info is

Jeremy Shawaf
and phone number (310)4032291

I never got an order confirmation email or anything so I really dont have much more info :\ Alright, then.

eyekantbeme
09-13-11, 01:56 AM
nevermind......we spoke today :D

AoD
09-15-11, 02:32 PM
Hey Jake. :)

I just wanted to order a stud kit for my caddy. I have purchased an unmolested '02 deville motor with 80k miles on it (the block is cracked on my 00 Seville) that appears to be pretty solid. I refuse to install the motor until i've installed your stud kit.

I realize you've got a lot on your plate right now and the last thing i want to do is add to any stress. You make an excellent product, and if it will keep the HG gremlins away, I will gladly spend some time waiting to receive it. I'll be calling to leave you a voicemail, just to augment this message, and you can get back to me at your earliest convenience.

I live in Northwestern Pennsylvania, and unfortunately my cellphone will not accept or make international calls. :( So here's my home number. Leave a message with your direct contact information and we can go from there.

1-814-835-5064

Thank you, Jake.
Respectfully,
Andy Walchack

97EldoCoupe
09-16-11, 11:58 AM
Jeremy- I have not forgotten you, we will reverse the funds Monday-

AoD - I can't do anything until Monday but rest assured, either Saturday or Monday you will be getting a call from me. Thank you

eyekantbeme
09-16-11, 04:24 PM
Great! Thanks Jake! :D

Barbara Babb
09-16-11, 08:27 PM
Hey Jake

Hoping you get the break you appear to desperately need.

Again, the time thing isn't an issue with me.

However, I have been thinking, and sometime early next spring I will be ordering a rebuilt engine from your shop. Hopefully you still have some of those.

I have been crunching numbers and between renewing passport, towing car, costs to remove engine there, etc, I am sure it would be more cost effective as well as more reliable overall to go that route. I will have the engine swapped locally. Have found someone that seems to be a conscientious mechanic to do that here.

Also intend to purchase new starter and new intake manifold.

When ever time permits, curious about the core. Website says no core charge. Does that mean you do not want the old engine? Or you just waive the core charge? If I wish to keep my old engine, what is the cost with the purchase of a new one?

My brother has a 99 Eldorado and I am thinking of distant future repairs to that engine for his use (repairs at your shop no earlier than next (2012 or 2013 unless his car fails) fall).

Actually, though. The delays have been beneficial to me in that I have been able to think everything out, price various options (all with your stud kit repairs) and have finally decided that even though slightly spendier, this may be the best value for my money and for my car's longevity.

Please do not rush anything, just at your convenience. Wish you were closer, I would be willing to apply to assist there.

Barbara

RippyPartsDept
09-16-11, 09:18 PM
Barb,

make sure your local mech knows that this online community is here to help if they need it

Red Corvette
09-17-11, 10:31 AM
Jake, if I order your studs when would you be able to ship them? Thanks

97EldoCoupe
09-18-11, 04:35 PM
I am not sure. I am going to call the shop in the morning that is supposed to have 100 sets ready for me. They are 3 weeks behind and my Miyano CNC turning center blew a resistor on one of the circuit boards yesterday.

The studs should be in stock anytime again soon. I will keep people posted, please note I am doing all that I can.

Speed_Pigeon
09-18-11, 04:44 PM
not for nothing, i used one of jake's kits about 10 months ago... it was perfect and spot on. 13k miles since the install and she purs like a kitten. shit happens and mistakes are made. thatís life. the product and service i received from jake was top notch and i would not hesitate to do business again if the need arose. as for my experience; A+ on all accounts.

97EldoCoupe
09-19-11, 01:53 PM
Thank you Speed_Pigeon - I appreciate feedback like this-

Doing some reasearch onto my CNC issues, apparently I had purchased a very good machine - the Miyano is supposed to be the Cadillac of CNC turning centers, and a new one like what I have now is a whopping $160,000.00. So I have decided, no matter what it takes, I am going to repair the machine I have now and use it for what it was designed for- making quality parts with tolerance in the fourth decimal place.

I called my parts supplier again this morning, no studs until Thursday- now we're four weeks behind. What a piss off. And my machine is down. I will correct these issues. I will correct them as quickly as possible-

in the mean time, if my customers cannot wait for my announcement that studs are in stock, I fully understand if you have to find some other method of fixing your Northstar. But my promise to all is to supply the demand for the most bulletproof repair method available- as quickly as possible- you all have my word on that- If you can, please wait and I will be more than happy to assist you and sell the stud kit to you-

Thank you-

Speedygman
09-19-11, 03:59 PM
Jake,
I have all the faith in your business and as a person. Hang in there you will whip this little problem sooner than latter. I am prepared to wait for my block main stud kit until the cows come home when ever that is?????

vincentm
09-19-11, 09:28 PM
I wish you the best of luck Jake, I can wait for the engine quote, you've alot on your plate these days, I understamd the pressure you're under.

97EldoCoupe
09-20-11, 12:50 PM
Right now I'm doing everything I can to supply the demand and I am losing business to Norm and Timesert.

The replacement part for the CNC is approx. $3000 and they can fly it in to me same day.

I wish GM Repair Center would pay me the $750 they owe me right now. I keep getting excuses from him and I am not in the position to issue credit, I am on the verge of issuing refunds actually -

I will see this through and those who have the patience will receive everything ordered, Tim, if you get this message, Grady, if I get the CNC going, those bottom end studs will be going out to you at no cost except shipping.

eyekantbeme
09-20-11, 03:43 PM
Jeremy- I have not forgotten you, we will reverse the funds Monday-

AoD - I can't do anything until Monday but rest assured, either Saturday or Monday you will be getting a call from me. Thank you

GOT IT! Thanks Jake! :D

ternstes
09-20-11, 05:06 PM
Jake,

I, like Grady, will wait on your bottom end studs for as long as it takes. I am impressed by your resilience and your love of the Northstar engine. I know i will get a quality part from you. Keep going, Jake!

97EldoCoupe
09-21-11, 12:12 AM
Thank you. I am very lucky to have some incredibly understanding customers right now. I am flying 1200 miles to pick up a half order of studs tomorrow. I will put a message on the phone system and I have already updated the website with a message- http://www.northstarperformance.com/index.html

Will keep people posted.

vincentm
09-21-11, 09:33 AM
Looks good Jake, i give you the utmost respect for your efforts in keeping these engines on the road.

AoD
09-22-11, 04:50 PM
You have my trust, and my patience. Cracked block or no, as long as I baby the car, and drive defensively, It's manageable. Soon I will drain and flush out the seal tabs with my garden hose so I can reconnect my heater core, as it's starting to get cold at night. I only hope the leak doesn't go crazy when I do that because I gotta put some actual coolant in there now or risk destroying the engine entirely when it drops below freezing outside.

I don't know if you got my texts from the instant messenger, so I'll restate:

I unfortunately cannot correspond with your cell via mine as my shitty cellphone plan won't allow it. The forums will have to do for now, and once I see that you have things going again please contact me so that we can set up a purchase via my home phone. Feel free to call that as well, leave a message on the machine. I'm pretty busy, so chances are I won't be home.

Also, just a reminder: If it's not too much trouble (and believe me, it's not a burning issue), I would greatly appreciate if you could whip up one of those semi-solid mounts for me as well. If not, I'm a patient man, I'll deal with one of your solid steel mounts for the time being.

Keep at it Jake, and try not to run yourself into the ground. Your health comes first.

ToMuchWork
09-22-11, 06:44 PM
Jake,

As one of your very satisfied customers I wish you the best. Hang in there, I know you will succeed.
I used your stud kit about a year and a half ago and haven't had any issues at all. I am in the process
of rebuilding my 4.6 N* which is pictured below. I surely wouldn't be going thru all this work and expense
if I wasn't totally confident that I will never have another head gasket issue with this motor again.
Thanks again for all you have done for me. Take care of your health.

Kevin

97EldoCoupe
09-23-11, 11:16 AM
Thanks y'all. Your support during this rough time means the world.

I have the CNC back up and running - thanks to a company in Grand Rapids Michigan who strips down old machines and sells the parts. The $3000 quote I had was a bit steep, the used part set me back $950 + overnight shipping. I now realize, how valuable express overnight shipping can be, when you're in desperate need-

Also I had to manually reference the tool turret because nobody could tell me how to do it electonically- I just rotated the turret with a crowbar and the sensors started to pick up the position as I rotated it. All of a sudden the hydraulics came back on and I hit "turret index" and it found its own positions again. All back up and running.

This weekend is machine time. I expect a great update on Monday morning! :D

Speedygman
09-23-11, 12:18 PM
GREAT NEWS JAKE, run it till it starts to sweat, or making funny noise, keep us posted and post a picture or video?:yup:

vincentm
09-23-11, 01:12 PM
+1 on the video, would love to see a newly birthed stud from NP

AoD
09-23-11, 08:08 PM
Kick its ass Jake!!

I just placed an order for a kit, plus a semi-solid mount. Give me a call when ya can!

WOOT! I'm gettin excited.

97EldoCoupe
09-25-11, 02:18 PM
I will post a video as soon as I can. It's a busy weekend, I owe a few ppl their cars back in Ontario, have to issue a couple ppl refunds tomorrow, and hit the road asap.

Late weekend update: 17 stud kit fixture plates are currently being manufactured along with the special bolts that hold it down. The difference? These are getting hardened steel inserts for drilling and tapping. The inserts were machined last night and this morning, with a very tight tolerance for the drill and tap. The grade of steel is that of which drill bits are made from. What this means? More accurate drilling and tapping, less wear on the plate (much less), and less (if any) need to bend or flex studs once they are installed, to slide the head over.

The inserts are spot welded in place and if need be, after 10 engines, 20 engines, 30, etc., the inserts can be re-orded from me and the spot welds drilled/ground out- and the fixture plate will be like new again.

This is just one of the improvements scheduled for the stud kits. I am not leaving anyone behind, I know PonyboyT, two engine customers, some car customers, etc- all need to be taken care of as my customers- believe me you will be- the CNC is allowing me to catch up quickly and produce better parts, and it doesn't ALWAYS require my full attention:

As soon as I get back to Manitoba and things settle down a bit long enough that I can take care of human resources, there will be more people on staff here and a full time receptionist.

SpeedyGMan and Tim, bottom end studs are coming up too :)

vincentm
09-25-11, 02:34 PM
Sweet!

Speedygman
09-25-11, 04:31 PM
Jake,
I think that you work to much and I am looking forward for the bottom end stud kit.:thumbsup:

ponyboyt
09-25-11, 06:56 PM
:hide: :hide: :hide: :hide: :hide: :hide:

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z143/ponyboyt/engines.jpg

dkozloski
09-25-11, 11:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZZ1ItQB76Q

Red Corvette
09-26-11, 08:59 AM
Jake, with the studs you picked up last week do you have enough stock now to fill new orders? Thanks

vincentm
10-13-11, 09:57 AM
Any updates Jake?

aj06bolt12r
12-13-11, 10:43 AM
Jake, I purchaesd a stud kit from you almost a year ago for a 97 deville. I clearly got one of the plates that was machined wrong. My brother and I were still able to make it work on the engine in question by simply useing only one hold down bolt when necessary and using a dowl pin to get the hole in the jig lined up with the bolt hole in the block before tightening down the jig. We also had to modify the jig to do this, but in the end it all worked out, no head gasket issues on the car in question since and the car had been from tennessee to Pa and back and from tennessee to florida and back twice, as well as local commuting duties. Simply put the head studs work wonders one way or another... However I would love to have the updated correct jig sent to me if that offer is still on the plate, what do I need to do in order to get one?

dan3or6
12-22-11, 08:16 PM
It is too bad that some professional shop would not take on this stud kit and manufacture it for everyone. It is clear that Jake has the right idea about the studs but very very unprofessional in manufacturing or customer support.I attempted several times to buy from him last year and could not get a email from him to even order a kit. Many of you have had good luck with him and that is good. I just wish some big company would manufacture this and people would get good support then.

ThumperPup
12-22-11, 08:47 PM
It is too bad that some professional shop would not take on this stud kit and manufacture it for everyone. It is clear that Jake has the right idea about the studs but very very unprofessional in manufacturing or customer support.I attempted several times to buy from him last year and could not get a email from him to even order a kit. Many of you have had good luck with him and that is good. I just wish some big company would manufacture this and people would get good support then.

what don't you get about patent pending
no one can make this same stud without getting drage threw dirt and court

yeah they and try and fabricate it and change it a little bit but they wont have jakes stud

97EldoCoupe
12-29-11, 01:50 PM

I`ve said it before and I'll say it again. I wish I had $100,000 lying around to buy all new machinery, have staff ready to take calls 24/7, and had 10 locations to ship from within the USA. I'm working with what I have. Everyone- EVERYONE who has a bit of patience with me through this rough patch and can appreciate what I've gone through to develop, produce, and manufacture these kits, will get one. Wait, make that $200,000. A new CNC turning center like the one I have now is $160,000.00. Chump change, right?!!

Any large company that comes up to me with a reasonable offer can buy the rights from me to produce and market the studs. But I have a love for these cars and engines that not many corporate bean-counters will have-

Patience please.

tateos
12-29-11, 07:08 PM
Don't get discouraged - keep the faith, Jake!

97EldoCoupe
12-29-11, 09:48 PM
Thanks Tateos!!!

GOOD NEWS!!!!

The CNC is up and running again. It's now 70 degrees in my shop (not the big one, the small one) and I just picked up the 15 lbs. worth of manuals (5 binders) this afternoon in North Dakota with my Eldorado (which by the way is finished, engine running like a clock, no blue smoke, no oil consumption that I know of, will have to check after my trip this weekend).

I know I have a lot of explaining to do to a lot of my customers, like "why I finished my own car when customers are waiting" and such.... I needed to prove something to myself, that my work is still top notch. That ETC runs so beautifully, not even a puff of blue smoke from the oil soaked, freshly honed cylinder walls. And my truck now needs $2k worth of parts and tires combined, and fuel consumption of that beast is not helping the finances any. I'm getting 25.6 MPG with the ETC. Everything works in it, no codes at all.

With these new manuals, a working CNC turning center, a bit more working capital, a climate controlled work area (heated, and A/C in the summer) we're (myself, my family, my employee(s)) going to be working around the clock if need be to provide what is necessary to fix these Northstars correctly.

I can't quite get over the fact that the CNC is running again. So happy- the on-board-diagnostics work just like a Caddy- you just have to have the manuals to decipher the codes and meanings- a Caddy has probably like 5% of the total diagnostics that this machine does.

I'll keep everyone posted, and happy New Year!!!

ThumperPup
12-29-11, 10:15 PM
Great news yup next year will be a even better one for you and so happy to hear you took some time and got your own caddy back ont he road again
Thanks Tateos!!!

GOOD NEWS!!!!

The CNC is up and running again. It's now 70 degrees in my shop (not the big one, the small one) and I just picked up the 15 lbs. worth of manuals (5 binders) this afternoon in North Dakota with my Eldorado (which by the way is finished, engine running like a clock, no blue smoke, no oil consumption that I know of, will have to check after my trip this weekend).

I know I have a lot of explaining to do to a lot of my customers, like "why I finished my own car when customers are waiting" and such.... I needed to prove something to myself, that my work is still top notch. That ETC runs so beautifully, not even a puff of blue smoke from the oil soaked, freshly honed cylinder walls. And my truck now needs $2k worth of parts and tires combined, and fuel consumption of that beast is not helping the finances any. I'm getting 25.6 MPG with the ETC. Everything works in it, no codes at all.

With these new manuals, a working CNC turning center, a bit more working capital, a climate controlled work area (heated, and A/C in the summer) we're (myself, my family, my employee(s)) going to be working around the clock if need be to provide what is necessary to fix these Northstars correctly.

I can't quite get over the fact that the CNC is running again. So happy- the on-board-diagnostics work just like a Caddy- you just have to have the manuals to decipher the codes and meanings- a Caddy has probably like 5% of the total diagnostics that this machine does.

vincentm
12-30-11, 11:34 AM
Thanks Tateos!!!

GOOD NEWS!!!!

The world needs more black 97's on the road lol, congrats man

Ranger
12-30-11, 12:43 PM
Great news Jake. Crank them puppies out and take care of your customers. A happy customer is the best advertizing you can get. Best of luck in the new year.

97EldoCoupe
12-30-11, 03:52 PM
Thank you Ranger. The CNC has been producing parts all morning- so far not even a hickup-

I received an email from a very happy customer (past customer) with photos of his finished Caddy, that he did the HG work himself on. I'm going to ask his permission to use the photos and the email as a testimonial on my website, all hoses got covered with that braided stainless covering, so nice to look at..... They were wishing me the best and thanked me for the stud kit-

I know- positive customer feedback is the best possible advertising, and word of mouth- and Sal- if you catch this message- keep my ad running, 2012 should be a whole new journey..... Thank you again Sal, and payment is coming soon- :)

vincentm
12-30-11, 04:06 PM
Thank you Ranger. The CNC has been producing parts all morning- so far not even a hickup-

I received an email from a very happy customer (past customer) with photos of his finished Caddy, that he did the HG work himself on. I'm going to ask his permission to use the photos and the email as a testimonial on my website, all hoses got covered with that braided stainless covering, so nice to look at..... They were wishing me the best and thanked me for the stud kit-

I know- positive customer feedback is the best possible advertising, and word of mouth- and Sal- if you catch this message- keep my ad running, 2012 should be a whole new journey..... Thank you again Sal, and payment is coming soon- :)

If you can get braided hose cover info from him id much appreciate it, been pondering putting some of that in my engine and chroming out the beauty cover along with a new chromed out front valve cover

RippyPartsDept
12-30-11, 04:52 PM
yeah, i'd be interested also for my '99 also since i'm due for a coolant exchange i'll have access to the hoses soon

vincentm
12-30-11, 04:59 PM
yeah, i'd be interested also for my '99 also since i'm due for a coolant exchange i'll have access to the hoses soon

Found this site:

http://www.autocarparts.com/part/list/1366/

(http://www.autocarparts.com/part/list/1366/)

RippyPartsDept
12-30-11, 05:11 PM
Sweet... thanks!

bmoorecad
01-11-13, 11:11 AM
JAKES CONTACT INFO........
How do I get in contact with jake, (1998 deville) 74,000
and can someone tell me where in south florida (sunrise/ 33321) i can get the work done replaceing HG / and instail of jakes studs
brianleemoore@yahoo.com
305-710-0268

RippyPartsDept
01-11-13, 12:58 PM
Try calling or texting his cell yet?
204-216-0011