: 2006 STS V6 Shifting

bbjorklund99
04-15-11, 11:43 AM
I am new to the Cadillac STS so I don't know if this is normal or not. I recently purchase a 2006 STS RWD V6 with 45,000 miles. When I drive the car is seems like it can't decide what gear it wants to be in. My wife describes it as kind of a surging feeling. The shifting is smooth and not harsh but it just does not feel right to me but this is the only STS I have driven so I don't have anything to compare it with. Being that I don't have much history I was hoping that somebody could give me some advice. I searched the database for shifting problems and found a few responses but most of them were for the AWD model so I am not sure if this is the same animal. I am not sure what to do next. I don't have a lot of confidence is my local Cadillac dealer based on my experience with them programming a new key fob. I have a place in town that is really good with automotive electric issues. Do you think there are places other than the Cadillac dealer that would have knowledge on these cars?

Thanks is advance,

Brad

dkozloski
04-15-11, 12:41 PM
The transmission has six gears for the controls to choose from. The number of gears compensates for the lack of flexibility and torque range of modern high strung engines. The system constantly evaluates what the driver is trying to do and selects a gear to match. It's a long ways from your old time Cadillac with a huge cast iron boat anchor engine with stump pulling torque.

bbjorklund99
04-15-11, 01:02 PM
So your telling me it is probably normal?

chazglenn3
04-15-11, 01:51 PM
Mine does it too. Although my car is a 5-speed...I think the 6 speed was only STS-V's until 2008. When the car starts to hunt between 4th and 5th, I just put the car in 4th. 5th is probably better suited for freeway driving.

malatu
04-15-11, 02:01 PM
Also, I thought there was an issue with something they refer to as Transmission Chuggle. I'm pretty sure it was something associated with the 2006 models. It's a software fix. Here is a link but you may want to do a search as well.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2010/87970-awd-sts4-transmission-software-fix.html

bbjorklund99
04-15-11, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the posts guys! I appreciate the feedback. I will probably have somebody who works on these things take is for a spin but I suspect you guys are right. My Chrysler had a 3 speed with OD and it rarely used the OD unless I was at cruising speed. It also did not want to downshift and boogie like this one unless I put my foot down and forced it shift. I am still in the discovery mode since I have only owned this car for about 10 days.

I much appreciate all the feedback. Hopefully the day will come when I can the newbies:)

Brad

EChas3
04-15-11, 11:13 PM
My 2006 AWD 5-speed N* & wife's 2007 RWD 6-speed N* don't do this.