: Looking to Sell My '87 Brougham... How Should I Price?

bosox516
04-15-11, 09:26 AM
Hello all,

I am a new poster to this forum. A few years back, an elderly gentleman who lived across the street from me, a very god friend of my family, the original owner of said '87 Brougham, purchased a new car and decided very kindly to pass his classic Caddy on to me. I absolutely love this car, but I am getting married soon and it's clear to me now that I need something with much better fuel economy.

Here is a basic description of the car:
-5.0L V8: All engine parts original except for the climate control blower.
-Approximately 106,000 original miles.
-Average 14-15 mpg.
-Lovely classic brown color, shines tones of copper in the sunlight. Original paint.
-Original vinyl top.
-Whitewall tires in front. Rear tires had to be replaced.
-Wire wheels.
-Original Cadillac hood ornament.

PROS:
-Original beige leather relatively intact.
-No damage to vinyl top.
-Heat and A/C working beautifully.
-Mechanically in great shape. Drives and handles beautifully, insignificant braking issues (see below).
-Original stereo system, electronic retractable sun roof, climate control settings, power windows, power locks, power seats, power mirrors, power steering, trunk close & lock mechanism, interior lights, key hole lights, tail and head lights, rear view mirror tail light indicator, intelligent light-adjust rear view mirror... Basically all the little luxurious subtleties that make a Cadillac a Cadillac, all original and all fully functional.

CONS:
-Minor exterior flaws... a few negligible rust spots in discreet locations.
-Interior leather beginning to crack on two front seats and armrest.
-Original paint showing signs of sun wear.
-Floor mats (shag carpet, original) showing signs of wear on the driver's side.
-Seal between windshield and ceiling is leaking slightly; heavy rain leaves some drops on the steering wheel and seat.
-Only issue when braking is a slight give-and-take as the wheels turn... Rotor may be slightly warped.
-Gas tank meter fluctuates as the car accelerates/decelerates and turns.
-Car has stalled on me twice. This is the only sign of any mechanical issues... Happened in traffic while the car was completely stopped, both on the same day. Hasn't happened since.

Basically, I just want to know what I could get for this car. What would a knowledgeable enthusiast pay for this classic beauty? I would only want to sell it to someone with a good deal of knowledge and appreciation. I've seen some of my year in the range of $6,000-7,000, but in mint condition. This is not mint, but certainly good, and better than what can be expected of a 23-year-old car. I would greatly appreciate any feedback you all can give me. Thank you very much!

robb257731
04-15-11, 11:30 AM
Think you need to post some pics....

sven914
04-15-11, 03:34 PM
I depends heavily on where you live. From the description, and from what I've seen around here, $2,500 would be a good starting price.

jayoldschool
04-15-11, 04:46 PM
Based on the description, I would say $2500 would be on the high side.

brougham
04-15-11, 06:08 PM
$2,500 sounds high to me too. Really have to see pictures tho and like sven914 said it really depends on where you live so you'd be better off looking at ads for other Broughams in your area. A car can be worth under a grand where one person lives and several grand somewhere else.