: Lower crankcase reseal questions

92Deville
04-14-11, 11:08 PM
Ok, so I have been trying to mentally prepare myself for the stud job on the 98 Deville. While I have the engine out I want to reseal the lower crankcase. My question is will I have to replace the crankshaft bearings if I do remove the lower crankcase? I see the FSM says they should be replaced but I don't know if I want to get that involved. I am sure it will be leaking with 175k on the clock. Any thoughts are welcomed and appreciated.

Submariner409
04-15-11, 11:41 AM
You said it would be leaking at 175K........... If the halfcase or crankshaft end seals are not leaking - drips on the floor - then my suggestion is to not open the lower end. The halfcase is only one part - you also must replace (new) the oil distribution plate and oil pan seals......and to do the mains you need to remove the rod caps, so then you're into rod bearings. If the engine is now quiet with no knocks - if it ain't broke - don't fix it. Northstars have very tough, long-lived lower ends.

92Deville
04-15-11, 12:17 PM
Sub, it does drip thats why I am thinking the bottom end will need to be resealed. However, it runs great (other than the HG issue) and I don't want to mess with bearings if I dont have to. I am fine to replace both crank seals, oil distribution plate, and reseal the oil pan but if I have to replace all the bearings in order to reseal the bottom end I may just leave it leaking. Has anyone reused the old bearings or would that be a setup for future problems?

stoveguyy
04-15-11, 12:48 PM
you need to change your name from 92deville to 98deville. everything i have read says reusing main bearings is probably ok. clean piston tops and combustion chambers well. i have seen pics of valves with worn faces. makes me wonder if doing a valve job is not a bad idea. but than tearing down a OHC head is a bunch of parts. where do you stop?

92Deville
04-15-11, 02:39 PM
Stoveguy, you are correct about the name. When I signed up back in 04 I had a white 92 Sedan Deville. That was my favorite Cadillac so far. I sold it to a little old lady that totaled it a few months later and her son resurrected it:bigroll:. I still see it around town. It looks pretty sad. As for where do you stop? My thoughts exactly. I just want the head gaskets fixed and no oil leaks. I don't think the motor needs to be rebuilt.