: When did they change the window lock switches?

DaveSmed
10-08-04, 01:15 AM
Today it just dawned on me just how convenient it is to have the three position window lockout switch (EMERG-NORM-LOCK) For those unfamiliar, the energ. position is a momentary position, and it supplys battery voltage around the ignition controlled power window relay, so you can roll up the windows without the key fron the drivers panel if you hold the switch in. However, I was lokoing at a '76 coupe not too long ago and noticed they did away with that switch, and only have normal and lock. I know my friends '64 has the three position switch as well, my question is when did they start using that switch, and when did they stop?

wojtekj
10-11-04, 04:01 AM
HI Dave,

Just a question related to power windows,

I have a 1967 Coupe Deville and the rear windows do not work - is there a relay hidden that is responsible for the operation of both windows? Because it is very hard to belive that both power windows motors went at the same time.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

carnut
10-11-04, 10:15 PM
All the window motors (4) are protected with one relay. I would think your problem is in the driver master switch or the wire harness to the rear windows. Remove the switchs in the rear panels and see if power is present to one side of the switch When the driver switch is used.

FASSTWOOD
10-11-04, 10:58 PM
What a cool feature! None of my caddy's have had that option... I had caddy's from 77 up...

davesdeville
10-13-04, 12:33 AM
That's a cool option. It's not on my 75s either.

DaveSmed
10-13-04, 12:50 AM
It is very handy. Also, since it routes power around the relay, if it ever goes bad, you can still roll the windows up. I'm not sure, but I think on cars with power vent windows, it supplied power to them as well.