: Something just clicked...

King335i
04-14-11, 09:20 PM
And it was my front wheels! What a surprise!

I just came from my mechanic because he was doing the final adjustments on my Corsa cat-back, and we got to talking about the wheel-click issue.

Now if my wheels only clicked once in a while and only at slow speeds I would have absolutely no problem with that. However, my wheels now click very rapidly during high-speed cornering and almost all the time during slow speed maneuvers (i.e. parking lots).

I told him the TSB mentions cleaning and stuff, and even that I took the car in to my local dealer for the aforementioned "fix", but in his opinion the car is so new that I shouldn't have to clean the mating surfaces. In any case, I had the TSB performed and the sound has come back, but much worse than before.

As I was leaving the wheels began to click so I called him over to have him see and hear the clicking in person, so he got down real low next to the tire and walked with the car as I rolled forward a few times and reversed a couple of times.

After having heard the click and having been right next to it when it occurs he is convinced that it has nothing to do with the mating surfaces, and even less to do with torque specs (by the way he believes that 160 ft-lb or nm is way too much). He told me he thinks it has something to do with the leading edge of the wheel, and something possibly involving a heat shield reacting to stress forces when the wheels are under full lock.

In any case I am going to bring the car back to him soon and see if we can' isolate exactly what is causing the problem.

If we can get this fixed I will not only notify everyone on here, but will post detailed pics and info on the process.

Next up: trying to fix the aggravatingly annoying squeaky seat that sounds like crap.

newcadman
04-14-11, 09:37 PM
FWIW, mine " clicked" not only while driving but would continue to click even after the car was shut off and parked!

Rotors were replaced and all is well.

As for squeaky seat, might want to check out Curtis'(cbloveday) fix under the title, "chased down my seat creek".

Good luck.

King335i
04-14-11, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the heads up!

And just to be absolutely clear, when you wrote "as is well" I assume you meant "all is well". Just want to be sure, because if swapping rotors is the fix then that would be awesome to at least have the problem narrowed down!

King335i
04-14-11, 10:23 PM
Newcadman, I just checked out cbloveday's thread, I see that mentioned rocking back and forth, and side to side. But mine doesn't squeak when I do that, mine squeaks when I go over a small bump, or a speed bump, the motion of my body being lifted up and then coming back down is causing a squeal to emit from the seat every time the road isn't perfectly smooth. It's maddening, and it kind of ruins being in the car after a while.

newcadman
04-15-11, 01:35 AM
Thanks for the heads up!

And just to be absolutely clear, when you wrote "as is well" I assume you meant "all is well". Just want to be sure, because if swapping rotors is the fix then that would be awesome to at least have the problem narrowed down!

Yes, I definitely meant "all is well". I guess you read it before I corrected the typo. I hope the solution for your "clicking" turns out to be as easy a fix as it was for me when it turned out to be the rotors ! I can remember the mechanic using a stethoscope type listening device to determine that the continuing and pronounced clicking sound after shutdown was definitely coming from the rotors.

Hopefully the dealership can source the squeak in the seat. If not, you might suggest a new one to fix the problem. Good luck and let us know the outcome.

Domsz06
04-15-11, 09:56 AM
do you guys listen to music? I have music on all the time and never hear anything.... but then one day for chits n giggles I turned my music off completely and did notice some minor squeeks in my car.... Maybe I'm a bit deaf or I got lucky but my car really doesn't creak at all, but it is a 4 year old car, so it's kind of expected IMO....

e6t
04-15-11, 11:06 AM
i work pretty much all the time, so when i am in the car, im usually on the phone with the radio turned down or off.

Mike 09 V
04-15-11, 11:15 AM
mine squeaks when I go over a small bump, or a speed bump, the motion of my body being lifted up and then coming back down is causing a squeal to emit from the seat every time the road isn't perfectly smooth. It's maddening, and it kind of ruins being in the car after a while.

Have you tried oiling your ass?:rolleyes:

Domsz06
04-15-11, 11:46 AM
i work pretty much all the time, so when i am in the car, im usually on the phone with the radio turned down or off.

ah... yeah then I guess it might be annoying.

I think I'm lucky though too cuz the other day when i had my wife and bro and his gf we had it down driving 85 to LA and no issues or creaks...

mastequila
04-15-11, 06:15 PM
That's when I noticed stuff - when the music was off. My thought on the wheels is, if the clicking stops for awhile after they clean the surfaces, that must be the problem spot. If it was something else (rotor, heat shield) wouldn't it continue even after the TSB was performed?
My fronts clicked and I had the service done last week. Now they don't click. However, I hear the same type of clicking coming from the REAR under acceleration.

do you guys listen to music? I have music on all the time and never hear anything.... but then one day for chits n giggles I turned my music off completely and did notice some minor squeeks in my car.... Maybe I'm a bit deaf or I got lucky but my car really doesn't creak at all, but it is a 4 year old car, so it's kind of expected IMO....