: '89 Brougham chugs after I turn it off.

water walkin warrior
04-14-11, 02:36 PM
Can anyone tell me why my car keeps chugging several times after I turn my '89 Brougham off? I know it needs a tune up, but this is something new that has started happening.

outsider
04-14-11, 03:12 PM
Mine started doing this for a while when I was having carb problems and a vacuum leak.

Does it run smooth? No rough idles? Give us some more info on the problem...is the dieseling the only indication of a problem with it?

sven914
04-14-11, 04:36 PM
Your vacuum routing is messed up.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/3489/1/33720000075_large.jpg

Note the routing of the KNOCK solenoid and make sure everything is connected properly. When mine was doing it, the solenoid was hooked up backwards.

water walkin warrior
04-14-11, 04:43 PM
It runs and idles pretty smooth. Sometimes when I start it up, it idles a little high at times. It has an oil leak that I need to get looked at. I usually go through a quart a week.

outsider
04-14-11, 04:51 PM
a quart a week is crazy! I would say take care of the oil leak and get the tune up and see if that helps.

As Sven said, too, could be a messed up vacuum routing. However, if you haven't played with the vacuum routing and it just recently started it may not be messed up routing but may be a non-functioning solenoid maybe?

sven914
04-14-11, 05:10 PM
^Solenoid could be dead. The hoses could also have deteriorated to point where they leak.

outsider
04-14-11, 05:33 PM
^ Yup that's what happened to mine when it would diesel...leaking line. But it also had a very rough idle because of the leak. Fixed that leak and it smoothed out and never dieseled again.

My_favorite_Brougham
04-15-11, 02:55 AM
To me, it sounds like carbon buildup in the cylinders. When it becomes red hot, it can cause ignition even once you turn the motor off.

albymangled
04-15-11, 05:14 AM
Running a bit crappy and had the idle turned up to compensate?

Ignition timing...checked that lately?

What they said..... ;)

sven914
04-15-11, 04:26 PM
To me, it sounds like carbon buildup in the cylinders. When it becomes red hot, it can cause ignition even once you turn the motor off.

That's another common cause.

Solution would be pouring Sea Foam induction clean down the carb, while the engine is running, and see if it helps. But carbon buildup on the pistons, that severe, indicates a mechanical malfunction that needs attention.

albymangled
04-15-11, 08:40 PM
For what seems to be a popular product over there (Seafoam) I have never seen it here...

outsider
04-15-11, 10:17 PM
seafoam is good stuff, man! I always keep a few cans on hand!

sven914
04-15-11, 10:42 PM
It's only available in North America, Bruce.

The closest thing Australia has would be Redline Fuel Additives. Apparently it works the same way as Sea Foam (introduce it to the engine through a vacuum line or dump it down the throttle) and it has the same active ingredient (Naphtha).

My_favorite_Brougham
04-18-11, 06:28 PM
I discovered a product even better than Seafoam. It's called Mopar "combustion chamber cleaner" and there's a good bit of reviews online. I used it in my '89 Brougham with great success.

It's only $8 a can at the Chrysler dealer!

Greg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x141/Shutterbug668/d3f523fe.jpg?t=1303166477