: NAV disk error - Help

baleman
04-14-11, 11:48 AM
I searched the forum, I found two older post but no solution except getting it replaced by dealer under warranty. Problem is I am out of warranty on my 07 ESV as I just crossed the 100k mark.

The issue: It was working fine yesterday morning, I go to work park, get out of work and I get - Nav disk read error. I pull the disk out, make sure it's clean and nothing. I figure if I don't touch it the "Nav faeries" would take care of it overnight and I might see double rainbows. No such luck.

Has anyone experience this, what am I in for, will dealer/Cadillac laugh at me because I am out of warranty.

History: I had issues with the nav before and dealer replaced it at around 60K miles under bumper to bumper. Could they have given me a defective one or maybe the NAV system has a shelf life?

Help Please!

PreachRR
04-14-11, 07:11 PM
sorry bub.. but the only answer I have is dealer related.. You can also ask them since it was replaced by the dealer maybe they would warranty it again if it has only been a short time or the time between 100k and 60k..

CadX6
04-14-11, 09:55 PM
Maybe try the old "disconnect the battery for 10 minutes" trick????
Have no idea if it will work but it's kind of like rebooting a computer - sometimes it fixes things, sometimes it doesn't :confused:

Playdrv4me
04-15-11, 12:36 AM
This is why I advise heavily to always keep your Nav disc removed and tucked in your center console when not in use. Think about it, for you to have 100k miles on your truck already, that certainly means lots of start ups and shut downs, and every single time you start the car... even in just the 40k miles since they replaced it last, the Nav unit is accessing, reading, and performing all kinds of voodoo the whole time the disc is in there, even when you AREN'T using the Nav feature itself. Over time the mechanisms just wear out. It's like playing a DVD 12,000 times.

I know this won't help you now, but if you are going to continue driving as much as you do once you have the problem fixed, it's a good idea to just keep the disc out of the unit when not in use. On the other hand, if all of the driving you do is traveling where you rely on your nav and keeping it stowed away is not an option, you may want to look into replacing your nav head unit with the 2011 CompactFlash based Nav (available frequently on Ebay for between 1000 and 2000.00). The disc issues are a big reason why the 2011 Nav uses a CompactFlash memory card rather than a disc.

WaterKing
04-15-11, 01:14 AM
Excellent post Playdrv4me..totally concur. Also since it is out of warranty why not take it out, remove the changer unit, then remove the nav dvd unit and clean the laser thoroughly with the appropriate fluids...can't hurt....mine was covered in lint and other (I think smoking) debris. Once mechanically cleaned it worked fine. But the 2011 unit is the best because of flash based nav...quicker access as well..just as Playdrv4me said. Later models do away with the tilting screen though which I find useful in reducing reflections.

Zhariak
04-15-11, 11:35 AM
This keeps happening to me, I've been through 4-5 NAV units...

Always starts with failures that happen every once in a while, then one day it just wont read the DVD. Actually yesterday it happened, had to eject and put back in 8 times for it to start working. I'm giving it 2-15 days and I'll bet money it'll completely fail...

I never thought about leaving the disc out, I'm going to start doing that

baleman
04-15-11, 11:53 AM
Third day, still not working, tried using my version 1 disk, but same result. :(
I don't want to remove the unit, and I don't have the means to get a new unit right now. C'est la vie!

Jeff - Thank you for your assistance, very much appreciated.

baleman
04-20-11, 04:25 PM
I have a trip to the dealer tomorrow. Will keep the forum posted on the findings and action they take.

baleman
05-07-11, 11:56 AM
Follow up.

Finally yesterday I got the result the investigation from opening a case with customer service about my NAV and gloss trim. Because I am out of warranty, I was not expecting much, and that is exactly what I got. Not much. I spent $95 for the dealer to diagnose that my NAV was indeed not working so the case could be opened. In the end they did try and that is all I expected, and they even offered a 10% discount only from that dealer, who wants $1200 to replace the nav. Not bad, but still a lot of money.

Searched and searched again and found a post with very useful information. (had to use google to find it, no the forum search).

Specmo Enterprises
1200 E Avis Drive
Madison Heights, MI 48071
(800) 545-7910

Specmo - $35 up to $600 based on what is needed to be replaced

The OP of this thread stated - "I sent my unit to Specmo. In my case, it was the CD Carrier Tray $160
plus $8 to ship back. The warranty is 12 months 12,000 miles. So far
it has been six weeks with no problems."

So there it is, I am going to give them a shot. As for the gloss trim, just plain bad quality.

rant /
This is the first Caddy I have owned and bought new. I love the truck, but GM needs to step up it's game. I never had issues like these on my BMW's.
/end rant

Anyway, i hope this information may be useful to some of you with "nave cannot read disk" error. I will post again when I get my unit back.

RippyPartsDept
05-07-11, 05:27 PM
definitely give specmo a call... they might have an exchange unit to send you
that way you won't be without a radio for a couple weeks

there are alternatives (united radio, model electronics, etc) but they should all be about the same price
(we primarily use specmo - if that means anything)

good luck, and post up another follow up to let us know how it went

Aerohokie
12-20-11, 11:54 PM
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, just wondering how specmo treated you. I'm going through the same ordeal on my 08.