: Drive shaft noise

CadillacZach77
04-14-11, 10:18 AM
When I get to high speeds at high rpm's my drive shaft makes noise. When I had my 2.56's it sounded like waaaaaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaaaaa. Now with the 3.73's it sounds like wa wa wa wa wa wa wa wa :). Could this be a U joint issue? Any ideas?

I do not want to replace the drive shaft especially if it won't fix my problem. What's the most reasonably priced performance drive shaft for a 95 Fleet?

turbojimmy
04-14-11, 10:50 AM
I would just replace the U-Joints. It's very rare that you'd need a new driveshaft. You can get U-joints for as little as $12 each. With a ball-peen hammer, some sockets and a big C-clamp you can replace them yourself. I just had all 3 of mine done (I have 2 driveshafts) and it made a HUGE difference.

If replacing the U-joints doesn't cure it completely, have a driveshaft shop re-balance it.

steck
04-20-11, 08:40 AM
When I get to high speeds at high rpm's my drive shaft makes noise. When I had my 2.56's it sounded like waaaaaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaaaaa.

i can just picture you talking to a mechanic making that sound !! lol.

my new to me '73 is doing that too @ 50 mph +, and thats exactly what it sounds like too !

putting u-joints on the list to repair