: What do you think about this paint I want for my 1970.

Fleetwood70
04-13-11, 10:43 PM
I wanna paint my 1970 Fleetwood with satin black body and red roof, inspired by Jason Livingston's 1965 cadillac.
What do you think about it, I was also considering green, blue or orange roof, can't really decide.
http://i.ebayimg.com/06/%21CB8mw7gCGk%7E$%28KGrHqIOKiIE0mGjub%28%29BNJh+fM ,Rw%7E%7E_3.JPG

cadillac kevin
04-14-11, 12:23 AM
I'd do a matte black roof on a gloss or metallic car before I did the whole car matte black with a gloss or metallic roof. IMO flat black is overused as a "badass" color on caddies (or any car for that matter).

Stingroo
04-14-11, 01:19 AM
I LOVE satin black. LOVE LOVE LOVE.

In fact, that's what I'm doing to my wagon.

I fully support this message. :thumbsup: :usflag:

outsider
04-14-11, 08:56 AM
i think it looks pretty cool but I really prefer a glossy paint. In the end, though...It's your car and what you think matters most :)

robb257731
04-14-11, 09:03 AM
I hate it, but it's your car and if you like it that's all that matters. To me it just looks like primer.

When I was a teenager my next door neighbour (an old man) had a friend (another old man) who had a Cadillac like the one above...but it had the colours reversed...I loved that car. I offered to buy it from him but he said no....like I offended him by asking.

cadillac_al
04-14-11, 09:13 AM
I've seen a lot of flat black or satin black cars that didn't do a thing for me. This one has me very impressed; definitely a dare to be different car. I don't know if I could paint with satin paint. I would be laying it on too heavy waiting for some shine lol. I have had a couple cars with painted black roofs that looked very nice to me. I gotta admit I'm likin' the looks of this satin black Caddy. I'm saving the picture anyway for future reference.

csbuckn
04-14-11, 09:26 AM
I think the car above looks really nice. That color with any roof would look good. That red would be my fav out of what you listed but a darker maroon color would be something I'd be looking at too.

Stingroo
04-14-11, 11:07 AM
Also, I have to say - and to veterans of this forum, this is a world first - I would choose a red roof over an orange one for that Cadillac.

jayoldschool
04-14-11, 01:03 PM
I think satin black is completely played out. I would look to do something original. When I see cars in satin black, I think, "there goes yet another guy that couldn't come up with a cool idea for paint, and probably has poor bodywork."

intragration
04-14-11, 01:53 PM
I wasn't going to say anything, but then I noticed this was for a '70. I have to agree with Jay 100%. To me, the whole fad is the automotive equivalent of wearing your pants 8" too low so your underwear shows. You and your friend may think it looks cool, but it doesn't.

sven914
04-14-11, 03:31 PM
Gloss metallic black would work better. If you do blue or orange, then a white body would be interesting (kinda like a reverse two tone effect).

Stingroo
04-14-11, 05:20 PM
I wasn't going to say anything, but then I noticed this was for a '70. I have to agree with Jay 100%. To me, the whole fad is the automotive equivalent of wearing your pants 8" too low so your underwear shows. You and your friend may think it looks cool, but it doesn't to me.

Fixed.

albymangled
04-14-11, 08:36 PM
hey it HAS been done to death a bit...

the analogy about the pants hangin' down thing is cruel but...somewhat relevant

it does always kind of look like..."man, just got to cover up the rust and bog before i go to the show.."

Stingroo
04-14-11, 08:40 PM
I suppose. I dig it at least. :)

csbuckn
04-14-11, 09:28 PM
I didn't think so many people hated the flat. I think it looks mean. Flat with the right rims, exhaust, lowered with a two tone roof is nice. It's been played many times but so has EVERYTHING else...flip/flop, bowling ball, mirals, candy, OEM. It's all been done and flat is one of the better choices out there. There's not much you can do with paint and still be original.

sven914
04-14-11, 10:34 PM
^Murals like crap (they should come with 12 inch Daytons and a Jesus bobble head). Candy is only nice in blue or red; everything else gets too pimpy. Bowling ball looks great on ricers. Flip/flop is good for hiding from the guy who just gave you a $4000 paint job that you can't afford. OEM is the complete opposite of original.

If you want to be original, just leave it alone; you'll be the only one.

gillianwhittaker@xtr
04-15-11, 03:23 AM
FWIW Not a big fan of flat black BUT when the car is detailed and finished the way this one appears ,it looks like it is meant to be .As opposed to how another post described flat black--a way to hide the bog and imperfections ./
Still prefer to see the car in Hothouse Green though.

albymangled
04-15-11, 04:09 AM
ahhh...another Holden fan Gillian? Or just the color (HH green)?

gillianwhittaker@xtr
04-15-11, 04:50 PM
yep holden fan --winchup n crew are here in hamilton this week . Do you like the colour though ??
mike

albymangled
04-15-11, 07:31 PM
yeah it is one of the better GM colours eh....

apologies for the iphone photo quality

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c265/albymangled/619df97a.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c265/albymangled/197e0787.jpg

taken in poor light coupla weeks ago in mates shed.

back on topic...

paint the car however you see fit mate...it IS yours but me I like Cadillacs SHINY.

gillianwhittaker@xtr
04-15-11, 09:54 PM
Like Alby says --whatever colour turns ya wheels .
Have just done one in firemist red met. The 77 brougham is gonna be as Alby`s holden is in above post --Hothouse green Mind both have beige (ish ) vinyl roofs so like a 2 colour

Fleetwood70
04-15-11, 11:42 PM
I don't know what some of you are talking about, but flat black or satin black shows every imperfection in body, it doesn't hide anything, bodywork must be perfect for it to look good, and that's what i'm looking for.
Where you see so many flat black cars, especially classics? Only flat black cars I have seen here are either beat up 80's and 90's imports primed with spray cans, or dirty off-road 4x4 toyotas or jeeps.

intragration
04-16-11, 04:37 AM
"Fixed"? Not to get nitpicky, but there are lots of things in English that can be inferred. The man asked "what do you think?" I don't think, "it's ugly, in my opinion". I think "it's ugly". I choose not to couch every statement I make with disclaimers because reasonable people don't make a stink about things like that. At any rate, it's a FACT that the factory didn't paint cars like this, and there's a very good reason WHY they didn't paint cars like this. Either you accept this, or you ignore it.

I don't mean to start a war with this, but please don't purport to "fix" my posts.

intragration
04-16-11, 04:54 AM
Alby, what color is that Holden? When I first saw the car, I didn't really look at it from the rear, I thought it was a Pontiac. When I saw the front, it confused me for a minute. It looks a bit like a Chevelle from that angle. Pretty cool. The color reminds me of Bayberry Green.

albymangled
04-16-11, 05:17 AM
Hothouse Green mate....

introduced on the 2003 VY Holden Commodore range here in Oz...

no longer available from the factory but very popular still.

Neil Clarke
04-17-11, 12:15 AM
Never liked Snothouse green myself
But I do appreciate a built Monaro

My mates want me to flat black the 76 sedan
I say no

Stingroo
04-17-11, 08:53 AM
Satin black, people. SATIN.

Flat black is the "primer" look most people dislike. Satin black is sexy.

Cadillacboy
04-17-11, 10:40 AM
It's personal choice but I always prefer shiny paint over matte one .

sven914
04-17-11, 11:37 AM
Satin black, people. SATIN.

Flat black is the "primer" look most people dislike. Satin black is sexy.

I don't see that much of a difference...

http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr282/southrod/65%20CADILLAC%20DEVILLE/image_largephp.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2123/1976174135_20dfbe6dba_z.jpg

They both look lifeless and flat.

csbuckn
04-17-11, 02:50 PM
After seeing those pics, def see the difference. I see what you mean about flat black looking bad, that second pic looks like the car is ready for paint. That satin looks clean.

Stingroo
04-17-11, 04:44 PM
Thank you. Somebody gets it.

Sven, you may want to get your eyes checked my friend.

gillianwhittaker@xtr
04-17-11, 05:56 PM
Hothouse Green mate....

introduced on the 2003 VY Holden Commodore range here in Oz...

no longer available from the factory but very popular still.

I see alot of the smaller utes eg toymotas getting a dose of this HH green. I like it heaps .Definitely gonna do the 77 f/wood that colour.

SATIN or MATT black --not me, but your car purple spots f u wish

sven914
04-17-11, 08:17 PM
Thank you. Somebody gets it.

Sven, you may want to get your eyes checked my friend.

I agree that the satin has a more finished look where the flat looks like it was done on a whim, in the backyard. If I was being forced to choose between the two, satin is the best option.

What I'm saying is that satin is a dead color. There is no depth to; it doesn't reflect. It's the exact same color as the tires. Satin is flat.

Flat black should be labeled Dark Grey Primer.

intragration
04-17-11, 10:43 PM
I agree with Sven. Satin: car needs a paint job. Flat: car REALLY needs a paint job. Shiny: the way the factory made it. Now if you LIKE a car that's trying to look like it needs a paint job, that's your choice. In this case, I think flat is the way to go. Flat succeeds at looking bad, satin is non-committal. The truly manly way to do it would be to just sand off all the paint and let the car sit in the rain. Maybe take a fender or a bumper off... :helpless:

Here, like this, for that "natural" look...

csbuckn
04-17-11, 11:21 PM
I think thats the whole point, not to be shiny. I know its really hard to do because the paint is not so forgiving. Its just something different
So thats 70% dislike, 30% like. Maybe 85/15.

Stingroo
04-18-11, 12:20 AM
Some picky ass people on this forum. :lol:

cadillac_al
04-18-11, 08:30 AM
I wanna paint my 1970 Fleetwood with satin black body and red roof, inspired by Jason Livingston's 1965 cadillac.
What do you think about it, I was also considering green, blue or orange roof, can't really decide.
http://i.ebayimg.com/06/%21CB8mw7gCGk%7E$%28KGrHqIOKiIE0mGjub%28%29BNJh+fM ,Rw%7E%7E_3.JPG

I showed this pic to my body man buddy. He hates flat black cars but he really appreciated the nice look of this satin job. He commented on how the bodywork was flawless and that reflection line down the side was nice and straight. There is a big difference between an old suede rat rod and this nicely detailed straight Caddy. I know it's growing on me. I may rip off a couple vinyl tops this summer and try a copy cat or two.

sven914
04-18-11, 10:25 AM
Just as long as you don't add a blower...

Stingroo
04-18-11, 10:40 AM
I, for the life of me, cannot understand why other enthusiasts have negative opinions of what other people do to their own personal property. Do you guys criticize people's house colors too? Roof tiles? Grass? Hedges? Driveway material?

Sure there are styles I don't like, but when they come up in conversation I stay out of the threads. Why so negative? I don't get it. :noidea:

sven914
04-18-11, 10:56 AM
Do you guys criticize people's house colors too? Roof tiles? Grass? Hedges? Driveway material?

Yes...

jayoldschool
04-18-11, 12:30 PM
Sting, read the TITLE of the post. He ASKED for opinions. I don't see anyone in this section making negative comments when an opinion is not asked for.

intragration
04-18-11, 02:16 PM
I, for the life of me, cannot understand why other enthusiasts have negative opinions of what other people do to their own personal property. Do you guys criticize people's house colors too? Roof tiles? Grass? Hedges? Driveway material?

Sure there are styles I don't like, but when they come up in conversation I stay out of the threads. Why so negative? I don't get it. :noidea:

I will add, this is an EXTREMELY broad section, and a diverse group of enthusiasts. 19xx-1996, factory, modded, etc. Some of us are trying to bring our cars back to factory glory, and some are trying to create something in their own vision. That implies that some of us like our cars as they are, and some want to change what they are. This is a very fundamental difference. For those who want to change the car, there is a broad range of what is "acceptable", including to some extent, factory appearance. For those of us who like factory appearance, or "factory-style", there is an extremely narrow range of what is "acceptable". It's gotta look like the factory made it. I don't pretend to be open-minded, and I certainly am not a "car enthusiast". I'm a "very-specific-car enthusiast".

jayoldschool
04-18-11, 04:57 PM
To add (to a great post from intragration), the age diversity of this section is amazing. Lots of things that I thought were cool in my teens and twenties seem less cool now. Like window tint, and big stereo systems. Interestingly, I have two cars with tint, and one with a big stereo system featuring 10 speakers, two amps, and two 12" subs. I was young once, too! Bottom line, everyone likes different stuff. That is what makes our hobby interesting. If everyone thought the same, we would all drive 32 Fords. Or 55 Chevys. Or 92 Mustangs. Or 95 Civics. Or...

Stingroo
04-18-11, 05:11 PM
Tint is functional :thumbsup:

jayoldschool
04-18-11, 06:00 PM
Tell me about it. When I go to mom's place in FL, driving her fishbowl 91 Caprice makes me want to explode. It needs at least some 35% on it...

Stingroo
04-18-11, 06:04 PM
I don't know how some people do it. I feel bad for all the out of state students. It's funny. Everything in our parking lot with FL plates has tint. The out-of-staters probably go nuts.

Fleetwood70
10-20-11, 05:06 PM
I DID IT!
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/rwd-19xx-1984-deville-fleetwood-1985/100649-post-pic-your-rwd-caddy-137.html#post2749737

CADforce69
10-20-11, 07:53 PM
Suddenly that image reminded me another car, totally different but with the same color pattern:
http://s1.postimage.org/fwzokn1q3/214911_file_a_w300.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/)
upload images (http://www.postimage.org/)

Paint job seems well done. Itīs not easy applying satin black. I see good progress in chrome too.
Congrats! This car is improving :thumbsup: Not the style I would apply to my car but itīs YOUR car in the end.