: Who knows about windshield repair?

Rodya234
04-13-11, 06:31 PM
There's a 15 inch long crack in my windshield, which looks like it was made by hand because there are palm prints all over it (Chicago...:bomb:).

Would it be possible to get this crack filled, or am I better off just replacing the windshield? I'm not opposed to replacing it if I have to, but I got into an accident a few weeks ago (the crack was not caused by the accident) and I really can't afford another major car-expense right now.

Here's a few pictures of it, taken from the side because it can't be seen straight on.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/6641/676a0544.jpg

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/4608/676a0545.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Sevillian273
04-13-11, 06:54 PM
Ouch. I believe the rule of thumb with resin is "smaller than a dollar bill". I had one like that and it got bigger whenever I slammed the doors.

Do I see Snoop Dogg in the sticker on your windshield? :cool2:

johnny kannapo
04-13-11, 06:55 PM
Replacement is the only option on that one.

Any windshield obstruction that you can't cover with a quarter is ticketable defective equipment.

A windshield is not required by law.

jayoldschool
04-13-11, 06:56 PM
Can't be fixed. New windshield time. Insurance will cover it. Glass is a separate part of your policy.

Sevillian273
04-13-11, 06:59 PM
A windshield is not required by law.

Hell with it then!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_OD3XmqBPkpQ/S-sUw0euzVI/AAAAAAAAAIY/iw5SoPRKOw8/s320/Wind+blown+face+off.jpg

Rodya234
04-13-11, 07:03 PM

Apparently (I had to go look at it to find out) that's Daniel Burnham. But I wouldn't be surprised if Snoop Dogg was on a future Chicago city sticker (aka the "$75/year tax for having the privilege of living in this stupid town" sticker.

Aron9000
04-14-11, 12:30 AM
Apparently (I had to go look at it to find out) that's Daniel Burnham. But I wouldn't be surprised if Snoop Dogg was on a future Chicago city sticker (aka the "$75/year tax for having the privilege of living in this stupid town" sticker.

So is this only if you park on the street in Chicago?

ThumperPup
04-14-11, 12:57 AM
Ouch. I believe the rule of thumb with resin is "smaller than a dollar bill". I had one like that and it got bigger whenever I slammed the doors.

that looked like snoop doggy dog to me also for a second

ThumperPup
04-14-11, 01:03 AM
Can't be fixed. New windshield time. Insurance will cover it. Glass is a separate part of your policy.

not in all states
only a few states in the U.S require the Insurance cover Windows under a separate policy on the policy

the states that do not require it well
the insurance isnt going to offer it if they don't have to cause it will cost them money if they do
but they will cover it under your Comp Coverage
how ever is your deductible more then the window repair itself
for me my Comp Deductible is 100 right now
yes my windshield that i had replaced i could have had it done for a 100 dollars
filed a claim and had a claim on my insurance make it go up the next year so is it worth it no
im thinking of raising it back up to 250
i called safe light auto glass and i paid them 228 after taxes to come out with a new windshield and it has the rain sensor and all
they gave it to me at a good discount they where originally pricing the 2000 seville windshield at 258 so 30 bucks off
id rather pay the extra 128 out of pocket cause one claim could cause the INS policy Premimum to go up an extra 200 or more the next year

also forgot to mention
Some insurane companys will cover Glass at no extra charge
but always check these things before buying insurance becuase the only times they have to cover it is if the state requires them to
i think Progressive and state farm have a Glass Policy but not sure if anyone els covering the Ohio area does

Rodya234
04-14-11, 07:30 AM
So is this only if you park on the street in Chicago?

My car is parked on my driveway (in fact, the damage occurred on the driveway while I was out with my parents), however, if you have a Chicago address and no city sticker they can ticket you anytime you take the car out on the street.

Stingroo
04-14-11, 07:51 AM
What the f*ck?

That's ridiculous.

Rodya234
04-14-11, 02:01 PM
What the f*ck?

That's ridiculous.

And the ticket for not having one is $120. I've even heard of people who don't live in Chicago getting written up for having no city sticker.

Thankfully I'll be attending Texas A&M in the fall, so Chicago will just be a bad memory.

Stingroo
04-14-11, 03:01 PM
Welcome to the good life of a university. :thumbsup:

Ranger
04-14-11, 03:09 PM
I've even heard of people who don't live in Chicago getting written up for having no city sticker.

Sometimes the cop is too lazy to run the plate and find out that the car does not reside in Chicago. All they have to do is send in the ticket with no payment and a letter stating where they live. Case closed.

ThumperPup
04-14-11, 03:14 PM
Sometimes the cop is too lazy to run the plate and find out that the car does not reside in Chicago. All they have to do is send in the ticket with no payment and a letter stating where they live. Case closed.

i have doen this with NYC a few times
they don't run anything id say about 90% of the time they don't eve care if its an out of state plate
they figure some ppl are dumb and just send in payment fine and all
jerks

OffThaHorseCEO
04-15-11, 01:24 AM
not in all states
only a few states in the U.S require the Insurance cover Windows under a separate policy on the policy

the states that do not require it well
the insurance isnt going to offer it if they don't have to cause it will cost them money if they do
but they will cover it under your Comp Coverage
how ever is your deductible more then the window repair itself
for me my Comp Deductible is 100 right now
yes my windshield that i had replaced i could have had it done for a 100 dollars
filed a claim and had a claim on my insurance make it go up the next year so is it worth it no
im thinking of raising it back up to 250
i called safe light auto glass and i paid them 228 after taxes to come out with a new windshield and it has the rain sensor and all
they gave it to me at a good discount they where originally pricing the 2000 seville windshield at 258 so 30 bucks off
id rather pay the extra 128 out of pocket cause one claim could cause the INS policy Premimum to go up an extra 200 or more the next year

also forgot to mention
Some insurane companys will cover Glass at no extra charge
but always check these things before buying insurance becuase the only times they have to cover it is if the state requires them to
i think Progressive and state farm have a Glass Policy but not sure if anyone els covering the Ohio area does

Just to add to that. Not sure if this is all states but comp is considered things out of your control and so in NC comp claims dont increase premiums unless you have a history of comp claims. So for example, deer jumps out of nowhere and smashes your front end, oh well its the deers fault not yours, theyll fix it and not raise your insurance. If you swerve to miss the deer and end up hitting a small post instead, its suddenly a collision claim since you maneuvered the car into the pole, so its your fault and your rates will go up

Vandalism? Cant stop the haters...theyll fix it and not raise your rates
Hail? not your fault god was passing kidney stones, wont raise your rates.
Rock chip, not your fault

Weirdly, if a huge rock flies off of a truck and straight into your car, its not your fault. But if it hits the ground first, THEN hits your car, you coild have avoided it so its your fault.

ThumperPup
04-15-11, 10:57 AM
Just to add to that. Not sure if this is all states but comp is considered things out of your control and so in NC comp claims dont increase premiums unless you have a history of comp claims. So for example, deer jumps out of nowhere and smashes your front end, oh well its the deers fault not yours, theyll fix it and not raise your insurance. If you swerve to miss the deer and end up hitting a small post instead, its suddenly a collision claim since you maneuvered the car into the pole, so its your fault and your rates will go up

Vandalism? Cant stop the haters...theyll fix it and not raise your rates
Hail? not your fault god was passing kidney stones, wont raise your rates.
Rock chip, not your fault

Weirdly, if a huge rock flies off of a truck and straight into your car, its not your fault. But if it hits the ground first, THEN hits your car, you coild have avoided it so its your fault.

This is how it is in Ohio also
i found this out when i was talking with the claim adjuster to find information out with my past hit and ran in Feb

the F ED part is if its a hit and run it goes on collision and it will affect your premiums the fallowing anniversary of your policy witch sucks

OffThaHorseCEO
04-15-11, 11:05 AM
thats only because people lie alot. if hit and run didnt increase your premiums, every single-car accident would be a hit and run

ThumperPup
04-15-11, 11:39 AM
I also forgot to add that Even if its a Not at fault accident and the person that hit you or was at fault sticks around gets a Ticket from the city even admits to it being his fault or if its a rear end i know in Ohio its automatically the one who rear ends you fault
but even if they have proof that it was not your fault and you had no control over what happened
then it goes on a Not at fault Collisions
but still in Ohio
all collision not at fault or at fault hit and runs
they all count against your premiums the fallowing year
at least in Ohio PA and Mi i know this

i think that someone higher up needs to pass a bill saying that hit and runs like if it gets caught on a video take perhaps
or if the police get called to the accident and its prooven it was not your fualt
then they should have to be placed under Comp or if they are collision have something where they can have a code next to it and make it not count against you the fallow year

johnny kannapo
04-15-11, 11:50 AM
I just called the glass service they took my insurance account number, came out & fixed the windshield at my work that afternoon. No questions asked. No paperwork. No contact with my insurer or agent required. Done.

ThumperPup
04-15-11, 12:19 PM
Johnny K

i remember my insurance company saying that MN was one of the states that require insurance to cover glass coverage
not sure why
the insurance rep couldn't even tell me why
he sajested that perhaps state law in the state that require insurance for just glass alone
might be more subject to having windows break by highway or road ways or maybe they are just more strict on there laws

i drove around in Ohio for almost 22 months with a windshield that had been cracked down the side and then along the bottom of the fro left to middle it was not abstracting my view because from the inside you couldn't even see it unless you specifically looked around the pillar for it
Ohio im sure the cops saw it every time they go to check the vin when pulling you over they always do that in Ohio to make sure the plats are with the right car and all
never had it mentioned to me never got a fine for it

in Mi 3 times i was pulled over each time they said im going to need to give you a ticket for your windshield
i said just talking out my butt because i didn't know for sure or not
i asked being in a resonabl voice not being a smart ass
you do realize my plates and license is from Ohio
we don't have a law saying that we can't drive around with a cracked window
window laws our for your state you are registered in
so kind of like if i have windows tinted to the Florida leagle limit they cant give me a ticket in Ohio for being past 50% in the front if my car is from Flrodia and plates for there

and usually they are just to lazy to radio in cause they can be pulling someone els over
and give me the ticket for the reason they stopped me

or they radio in and just find out that it will take to long to find that info out so just say screw it

so perhaps the insurance laws for the states that require a seprate glass claim coverage is for the states that have strick laws on broken windows perhaps

johnmclaren
06-11-13, 06:29 AM
We got it done at our Tustin area after checking reviews of customers on Yelp.

Kev
06-12-13, 02:20 PM
Back to the actual windshield repair/replace issue; I had a few small chips in my windshield, no visible cracks at the time I had them repaired. The three chip repairs cost about half the cost of replacement, by the way. The repairs looked good, very hard to tell where they were. Some months later, I noticed a crack starting from one of the repaired chips. (I was commuting 60 miles one way, 95% highway miles) Over time it spread clear across the windshield and I had it replaced then.

For what it's worth, my bottom line recommendation is; if you have one small chip then repair may be a good economical option but it may not be permanant. Call around and get pricing options for repair v replace. I found the cheapest windshield from a guy who came to my house and replaced it right in my driveway. He did a great job, clean, neat and professional.

cadillac kevin
06-12-13, 03:19 PM
Back to the actual windshield repair/replace issue; I had a few small chips in my windshield, no visible cracks at the time I had them repaired. The three chip repairs cost about half the cost of replacement, by the way. The repairs looked good, very hard to tell where they were. Some months later, I noticed a crack starting from one of the repaired chips. (I was commuting 60 miles one way, 95% highway miles) Over time it spread clear across the windshield and I had it replaced then.

For what it's worth, my bottom line recommendation is; if you have one small chip then repair may be a good economical option but it may not be permanant. Call around and get pricing options for repair v replace. I found the cheapest windshield from a guy who came to my house and replaced it right in my driveway. He did a great job, clean, neat and professional.

That's what I had done to my safari and lesabre. Guy came, swapped the windshields, and left. The work was very professional (I watched him do it) and the price was fair (about 150 a piece installed IIRC).

CadillacLuke24
06-12-13, 04:50 PM
I would imagine laws vary wildly from state to state. Here in Wyoming, AFAIK, if the windshield defect is out of your line of sight, it's ok. I have had a 3 foot crack across the bottom of my windshield since about a month after I got her. Given that the windshield has survived that, 3 birdstrikes at 75 mph, and multiple colder-than-a-witch's tits winters, I may just keep it :D

cadillac kevin
06-12-13, 06:02 PM
I would imagine laws vary wildly from state to state. Here in Wyoming, AFAIK, if the windshield defect is out of your line of sight, it's ok. I have had a 3 foot crack across the bottom of my windshield since about a month after I got her. Given that the windshield has survived that, 3 birdstrikes at 75 mph, and multiple colder-than-a-witch's tits winters, I may just keep it :D

Same here. My van's windshield passed inspection 3 times with a cracked up windshield because the crack was below my (very tall) line of sight. Only reason I replaced mine was my lesabres had a pin sized hole pierced through it and my van had so many roadstone chips that when light hit it at night all you saw was glare.

thebigjimsho
06-14-13, 12:36 PM
Cracks won't pass in MA. And, of course, I switched insurance carriers last summer and the newer, cheaper insurance(on the TC it went down from $6800 to $4400 a year) didn't have glass. The second day with that insurance I get a large chip that immediately became a crack.

If you tell the glass places you are going out of insurance and need to get a good price, they will work with you. Since glass coverage is popular in MA, markup is huge. Markup is factored in big time in MA and can be eliminated by haggling. Glass replacement that costs the insurance company close to $500 cost me just over $200 out of pocket...

ben.gators
06-14-13, 11:06 PM
$4400 a year?! OMG! Why is it so high?

cadillac kevin
06-14-13, 11:21 PM
$4400 a year?! OMG! Why is it so high?

I'm guessing super high mileage/ using it for work.

orconn
06-14-13, 11:36 PM
I don't know, my wife and my auto insurance on our personal cars was $4400. per yearback in the earlt 1990['s in Los Angeles. That was not including the business cars, although all our cars were insured for business use.

When my son turned 16 and got his license the cost of adding him to our existing auto policy was going to run and ADDITIONAL $5700. We told him he could drive on his permit for another year before getting his full a adult license.

This was all in addition to state and federal income tax and other state sales and excise taxes which meant for every dollar we spent we had to earn over a $1.80 pre tax.

Jim's auto insurance premium seems pretty reasonable considerable all the coverage he must carry since he is a commercial driver.

talismandave
06-14-13, 11:38 PM
Probably heavy liability!

thebigjimsho
06-15-13, 12:48 AM
Yep, $1.5M umbrella policy. COME AT ME, BRO!

orconn
06-15-13, 01:07 AM
^^ That doesn't seem nearly enough, Jim, considering the passengers you carry!