: Nav update

Miller Time
04-13-11, 04:38 PM
I have a 2008 cadillac sts and want to know if there is any way to update the navigation to show new roads and addresses?

do i have to buy a new disc or update it?

ddalder
04-13-11, 05:05 PM
You must buy a new DVD. www.gmnavdisc.com is the official GM site. Just be aware that even with the most current disc, the data will still be somewhat out of date and may not show everything you're looking for. I just bought the latest 2011 disc... it still shows GM dealerships on the screen that shut down two years ago. Many of the roads in newer districts aren't there either.

For a brand new, genuine disc, this is the best place to buy. Dealerships are quite a bit more expensive as they buy from here as well and then add a mark-up. There's some place on eBay that sells discs for $399.00 which is a total rip-off. They obviously prey on people who think they're getting a good deal just because it was on eBay. I won't mention their business name, but you may run across them if you look.

Keep in mind, for the STS, it's a two disc set. Complete map data is on both discs, but Points of Interest are broken into US West + Canada or US East. Some people buy the set for $199.00 and then try and sell the one they don't want for about 75% of what they paid for both. Depending on how much you travel, and whether you care about POI's, this may not matter and a slight saving for only one disc may be of interest to you.

caddyfat2
04-13-11, 05:06 PM
You must have a new disc( by rook or crook) !

EChas3
04-13-11, 11:25 PM
IMHO, a year-old disk set is as good as the newest. By the time a disk is three years old, a newer one has real advantages.

Many forum members are generous with their old disks. When someone has none, even an old one is a boon.

Herbedout13
04-25-11, 01:50 AM
I recently bought a 07 STS w nav and after reading some topics on this forum about nav updates I called 877- nav -disc. They try to tell you that you must buy the disc update from them for 299. After reading what other members did I followed suit and was persistent that my dealer assured me I was entitled to a free update. After some back and forth with a couple of operators they agreed to send me one free of charge!! Thanks to this forum I saved 299!!! :cool2:

ddalder
04-25-11, 01:56 AM
I recently bought a 07 STS w nav and after reading some topics on this forum about nav updates I called 877- nav -disc. They try to tell you that you must buy the disc update from them for 299. After reading what other members did I followed suit and was persistent that my dealer assured me I was entitled to a free update. After some back and forth with a couple of operators they agreed to send me one free of charge!! Thanks to this forum I saved 299!!! :cool2:
Are you in North America? The discs here have always been $199.99 for as long as I've been buying them. I saw one for a European STS, but it was still only $228.00. Previous year versions (if they have stock) sell for $159.99. In any event, it's good you were able to save yourself some money.