: radiator problem please help

93fleetwood
10-07-04, 09:15 PM
well i found a radiator for the fleetwood. i got it put in just fine when i filled it up with radiator fluid it was fine. but my low colant light came on when i did the test drive. When i went to put more radiator fluid in it i turned the motor on and it started shooting the radiator fluid back out the fill cap. My question is, why isnt it sucking it into the radiator? Do you think my thermostate is stuck shut please help.

Adam
10-07-04, 09:53 PM
did you get it pressure tested? do that before anything. i had the same problem in mine. it did the exact same thing. it turned out to be as simple as the radiator cap losing pressure cause the seal was broke. try that, if it isnt that then take it to a mechanic or wherever youd take it to.

Dead Sled
10-07-04, 10:13 PM
was the engine hot when you opened the cap? if so thats why it sprayed back at you thats what the cap does it hold the system at 15lbs to raise cooling effectiveness that pressure is releasing

FASSTWOOD
10-07-04, 10:17 PM
Is there any fluid in the resevoir? Where is the low coolant switch located.

93fleetwood
10-07-04, 11:12 PM
ok what i did was let it cool down for about 30 min. then i just went back out side it was finally sucking back down into the radiator. so i filled it and filled the over flow to cold and started it with the heater on high and started to let it run came inside for a few minutes went back out side and felt the hose going to the motor it was full. looked in the car and the temp light was on? so i am asumming the thing it stuck shut?

Dead Sled
10-07-04, 11:18 PM
no you probally just got an air bubble in the system. it will work its way out.

93fleetwood
10-07-04, 11:22 PM
i really appreciate everyones help. so if the temp light is coming on should i just keep turning the car off let it cool and start it and let it run again? and you are saying it will work it's way out? or should i drive it. Thanks for all the help again

Dead Sled
10-08-04, 12:51 AM
Id say drive it it will work its way out. when I install thermostats I will drill a really small hole in it to prevent bubles behind the thermostat

countysligo
10-08-04, 03:23 AM
Use your Electronic Control Center to check out the system (with engine running):

1. Hold the OFF and TEMP UP buttons together.
2. System should perform a bulb check and then respond with 00.
3. Use the Fan Down button until you have the display showing -21.
4. Press the Out Temp button and the system will report the water temp in centigrade. I don't have the service manual in front of me but I think I remember it as:

107 deg: Cooling Fan Comes on
104 deg: Cooling Fan shuts off
126 deg: Idiot light comes on (If light comes on too soon, replace the sensor - hint: buy it from an Olds dealer and save about $10-15).
152 deg: computer shuts down the engine

During normal driving, the water temp should hover around the thermostat temperature:

180=82/83
190=87/88
200=93/94
210=98/99

I had a similar problem which I believe was caused by air in the system. I was able to get around it by adding water directly into the top of the block via the "false" thermostat housing (top front of the block). It looks like the thermostat housing but there's no thermostat in there...thermostat is down below by the water pump. The housing comes off easily with just two bolts.

Hope this helps.

barge master
10-08-04, 07:09 AM
If the top hose is getting hot it's safe to say your t-stat is opening. If there is air in the system, once you open the cap, the air will blast out along with coolant, but it is nothing to be alarmed about. An air pocket can also cause a temporary overheating condition. Start it cold with the cap off and run it at a high idle till the top hose warms and you see coolant coming out the radiator tubes. Air may work it's way to the top and spit out coolant that's in front of it. Once you see nothing but a steady flow of coolant, top it off and you should be good to go.