: Well, She's done...

FASSTWOOD
10-07-04, 06:44 PM
It was about 3:00 am last night and I was on my way home from work when It happened... I spun a rod bearing... :bonkers: I wanted to kick myself in the @ss! I was cruisin' down the Belt Pkwy minding my own business when all of a sudden a buddy from work decided to fly past me. Now, you KNOW I couldn't just sit there and let this happen. So I had to let him feel the rath of the LT-1... I spanked him, but my motor wasn't happy about it. The motor has 349,200 miles on it , but it ran so good... Luckily I already have the backup motor in the garage with 63,000 miles But before I put it in I'm gonna replace the cam, valve springs, oil pump, rocker arms, main and rod bearings, and other misc. things...

Can't wait to see what she will feel like with a fresh motor in!!!

Adam
10-07-04, 07:53 PM
sucks about that motor. i guess its a good thing you gotta back up.

Night Wolf
10-07-04, 08:03 PM
wow.... 350k hard ran miles.... I'd say that it held up pretty damn well :)

How do you know it is a rod bearing? I assume it still ran and got you home?

350k.... wow....

barge master
10-07-04, 08:06 PM
My condolences Fasstwood. Those kind of miles, that engine did it's duty and then some. Hope she comes back better than ever!! :thumbsup:

FASSTWOOD
10-07-04, 08:12 PM
Well, its sort of a blessing in disguise :lildevil: (don't tell my wife I said that!)
:D
At idle its okay but at about 2500 rpm she starts knocking like a wood pecker on a tree

Just got off the phone with combination motorsports, they have a group purchase going for the cc pro mag rr's 1.6, the 233 cam, the 612 springs, valve seals,pushrods, and cam gasket kit for $599.00 plus s+h. I might as well order that before putting in the other motor, along with some other goodies.

Might as well make the best of it!!! :D

DopeStar 156
10-08-04, 12:54 AM
Nice. You should post some pics of the job. I'm curious.

barge master
10-08-04, 06:13 AM
Nothing like finding a good justification for an upgrade!!

evilrussian
10-08-04, 11:39 AM
Have you thought about a "hot - cam" kit from GMPP. It retails around $400-500 and includes 1.6 roller rockers and other misc. parts. Should fit lt1's as far as I know.
http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/perfpartsjsp/partdetail.jsp?cat=9387&sku=12480002&section=Engine%20Parts

scurling
10-08-04, 05:23 PM
Sorry to hear the news.

Fasstwood, please educate me, what's a cam gasket kit? I'm going to have to get out the shop manual tonight.

scurling
10-08-04, 05:32 PM
Fasstwood, I just had to laugh. :-()
The writeup of your trials made me think about the old "Hot Rod Lincoln" song.

Verse 5
Then, all of a sudden, in the wink of an eye,
a Cadillac sedan passed us by.
The remark was made, "That's the car for me."
But, by then, the taillights wuz all you could see.

Verse 13
All of a sudden a rod started knockin';
Down in the depths she started a rockin'.
I looked in the mirror and a red light was blinkin';
The cops was after my Hot Rod Lincoln.

RBraczyk
10-08-04, 05:42 PM
It'll probably be a year before i crack 350k. Wanna make sure i have enough saved up to pay for a new engine when the time comes.

The13thMile
10-08-04, 07:56 PM
My 94 Fleetwood Brougham made it to 290k before I spun a rod bearing... perhaps I was a little too abusive of the gas pedal, plus those heavy chrome 22" rims probably didnt help anything either.

FASSTWOOD
10-09-04, 11:18 AM
Well I took the back-up apart today It was filthy and covered with leaves on the outside,but once I got the brackets, the ac, ps, and alt. it started showing promise I took the intake and heads off and everything looks pretty good. I,m taking the the intake and head to get cleaned up at a local machine shop today.

I ordered the cam and stuff yesterday so hopefully it will bein early this week. I just love spending money I don't have!!!

FASSTWOOD
10-09-04, 11:23 AM
Sorry to hear the news.

Fasstwood, please educate me, what's a cam gasket kit? I'm going to have to get out the shop manual tonight.

Is not a kit for the cam itself. Its the intake, valve cover, timing covers front crank seal

BeelzeBob
10-11-04, 07:11 PM
Hey, sorry to hear about the engine! That sucks - but it DID live a good, long life - didn't it? I'm anxious to hear about how things go with the newer engine and parts. :D

scurling
10-11-04, 07:37 PM
Is not a kit for the cam itself. Its the intake, valve cover, timing covers front crank seal

Well, that's a doh! on me. I missed that comma between cam, and gasket kit. It's hard trying to keep up with you kids on this site.

Good luck on the rebuild.

FASSTWOOD
10-11-04, 10:35 PM
Still waiting on parts. I had intentions of taking pics but, I forgot to charge the camera. :rant2:

SupaFly
10-13-04, 10:56 PM
I love driving on the Belt (with no traffic of course).

FASSTWOOD
10-13-04, 11:27 PM
I gotta deal with the belt everyday. Hopefully it will be nice once they finish with that overpass at Ocean Pkwy.

SupaFly
10-14-04, 06:59 PM
I get off right around that mess over there. There will always be traffic on the Belt.

barge master
10-17-04, 11:13 AM
How you makin' out Fasstwood? That new donor organ look like it's gonna work? :confused:

FASSTWOOD
10-17-04, 11:25 PM
Well I was waiting for my parts to arrive last week, but nothing. It turns out they wont be here till mid-week. After some serious thought and some creative financing, I decided to drop the block off at the machine shop so they can boil it out and install new cam bearings. I figure i'm spending i'm all this money, I might as well spend a little more and get some sleep at night.

barge master
10-18-04, 07:13 AM
I hear that. Sometimes cutting corners costs more in the long run, esp. with your daily driver. :yup:

RBraczyk
10-18-04, 07:52 AM
Your backup is an LT1 right?

FASSTWOOD
10-18-04, 09:48 PM
Yeah, its from a 95 caprice 9c1. I gotit through a friend of mine the worked for a taxi company. The taxi stand bought it from an auction. The first night they put the cab on, the driver decided to move an overpass with it. 63,000 miles, lucky me

DRASTICCADDY
10-21-04, 04:46 PM
I Have A 93 Vette Lt1 Hmmmm..........aluminum Heads!!!

Supposed To Be A 13,000 Mile Motor.

Was Gunna Use It In My 81 Coupe But Got A Little Lazy.

If I Do Use It Ill Have The 69 Olds Rocket Thats In It For Sale
Cam,intake,headers,ect.

Night Wolf
10-22-04, 12:21 AM
Yeah, its from a 95 caprice 9c1. I gotit through a friend of mine the worked for a taxi company. The taxi stand bought it from an auction. The first night they put the cab on, the driver decided to move an overpass with it. 63,000 miles, lucky me

I am willing to bet the 9C1 was a retired cop car?

the Caprice's were great cars.. many of them are lviing second lives from old cop cars to current taxi's... seems like a nice deal on the engine though...

... I think if I was to repeat looking for a car, I would be really considering a 9C1... they were just really cool cars... I wish Chevy would bring back the Cparice again... in it's full size, RWD, body on frame, V8 roots...

RBraczyk
10-22-04, 11:51 AM
Why don't you put that motor in for now and rebuild the one you blew the bearing on?