: Driver Side Rear Signal Problems

retsutsuki
04-12-11, 06:47 PM
So I have a 2000 Catera and my driver side rear turn signal doesnt work all the time. When I first start the car it works fine, but after a while of driving it stops working, and even after I let it sit for about an hour or so it doesnt work. After about roughly 5 hours it gets like an electrical reset or something and starts working again. I dont know whats wrong with it. Suggestions?

TitanCTS
04-15-11, 05:02 PM
Check the front right turn signal socket and see if the contacts are burned where the bulb sits into the socket. The front light socket if burned or corroded will cause the rear lights to screw up.

elvin315
04-16-11, 10:24 PM
Funny you should mention that about the front socket. I've had no front/left turn-signal for months. Besides the signal indicator on the dash being constantly on, the rear LEDs themselves glow at a lower brightness. They still flash but at a faster rate. I changed front bulb and cleaned the contacts of both the socket and the bulb before finding the secret.

It seems that bulb heat eventually softens the socket allowing it to spread and break contact with the bulb contacts. (I spotted electrical arching in the socket while testing as well as burns.) My answer was to slide a thin flat blade under the bulb contacts and lift them enough to make contact again. So far, so good. It's either that or pay Cadillac for a new socket.

I shudder to think how much they charge for them.